NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Florida find - where'd they go?

Posted By: martindl

While clearing out some things I found the ad for the 2002 Mr. Mint's Florida find auction. Eighty plus T206's graded by SCD, including a Magie. Some fairly high grade cards on some issues.

How did the grading on these stack up against SGC? Have they been crossed over, or are these SCD cards still out there.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I remember that group of cards, but who knows where they all ended up? Perhaps among dozens of different people.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Guys,
I bought 10-12, and wish I would have bought a few more. I thought the grading done by SCD was very consistent and accurate. I have crossed 90% of mine, but here is one that is still in the SCD tomb....

Old 03-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Administrator

That Donohue is definitely a very nice EX-MT. No qualms with that one.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

my brother and I have about 8 cards from that find. We have not tried crossing them to another company. they were good looking cards and we paid great prices fro them if I remember correctly.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mark

explain the grader SCD to me. Did they get bought out from SGC and if not why are they not in business. By the way, that Donahue looks like a 7 to me.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Strong 6, borderline 7. I love the big wide borders. I think cards with four huge borders should be worth a strong premium, same way postage stamps are.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

Mark,

SCD Grading was Sports Collectors Digest. They sold to another company a couple of years ago and now are known as Sports Cards Direct or something similar. The first SCD (Sports Collectors Digest) seems to be accurate and respected, but the new (Sports Cards Direct) is just trying to capitalize on the name, and is little better than Pro Grading.

Edited to add a little more:

The first SCD's "Claim to Fame", if you want to call it that, was the "Untouched" designation. You could send in an unopened pack or box, and they would open it and slab the individual cards as "Untouched" by human hands. Larry and Jeff Fritsch were big proponents of them (SCD had full-page adds with Larry or Jeff holding their cards in SCD holders.

My guess is SCD never could get enough market share of the grading market, and sold the grading aspect. In hindsight, Sports Collectors Digest grading seems to have graded cards accurately (and perhaps even under-graded slightly). Nearly all indications I've seen are that their cards cross to SGC or PSA at the same or higher grades. Just absolutely stay AWAY though, from the new "Sports Cards Direct" holders.

Steve

Old 03-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Steve,

What was interesting about SCD was that they had an interesting marketing idea. They were the first grading company who provided a service where they not only graded your card but would also list it on the internet and sell it for you.

I don't know why that marketing idea didn't catch on like a wildfire.

Peter

Old 03-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

SCD got rid of both SCD card grading and SCD Authentic (game used authentication). Both were respectable outfits, but must not have generated the funds desired. SCD Authentic is now MEARS. Unlike the new SCD card graders (Sports Cards Direct), MEARS is a respected company and has 2 of the original SCD Authentic game used experts running it. In many ways a SCD Authentic/MEARS LOA is equivalent and will be signed by the same people.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

They went out of business because they graded too strictly. I actively pursue cards in the SCD slabs with the red logo because they crossover to a HIGHER grade with PSA and SGC. The best thing to do if you crossover to PSA and SGC is to break the card out of the slab first. Don't let them know it came out of an SCD red logo slab and NEVER send the SCD slab to PSA or they won't give it a higher grade....they'll snub it and put it in a same grade slab or make up an excuse not to grade it.