NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-15-2019, 04:08 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
If that were the case (rejecting cards that are "too clean"), the Black Swamp find, for one, would have never been graded.

Steve
BSF cards were stored in paper practically from the time they were made and still did not have SNOW WHITE borders like the gehrig...or other bleached cards.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
BSF cards were stored in paper practically from the time they were made and still did not have SNOW WHITE borders like the gehrig...or other bleached cards.
Plus there was provenance explaining the BSF cards.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:39 PM
Anson

One other possibility is to manipulate the scans to make the borders or colors brighter. I'm not saying that bleach was or wasn't used, but it's another way to make the card look good for prospective bidders.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:41 PM
Todd C

picked up a couple of T206's last night.

It seemed that prices were lower than what they normally go for. I personally thought some of the lower prices were due to Gavelsnipe not working.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
One other possibility is to manipulate the scans to make the borders or colors brighter. I'm not saying that bleach was or wasn't used, but it's another way to make the card look good for prospective bidders.
Read the description which I quoted.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:50 PM
Anson

I did. It references clean, free of toning. But. It doesnt necessarily negate my comment. A quick Google of 1932 US Caramels shows several old PSA examples with similar borders. Again, I'm not claiming it wasnt bleached, but I'm not as sure about this one as some.

Last edited by Throttlesteer; 07-15-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
I did. It references clean, free of toning. But. It doesnt necessarily negate my comment.
PWCC stickered card, US Caramel described as free of toning or nearly so, plus scan that is blinding white. I'll rely on my experience and common sense here, do as you wish.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:21 PM
Banned

I do not know what is more puzzling. That people on this board continue to do business with pwcc or that they post about it like it’s nothing. congrats to everyone on their pwcc pickups. I hope every card is not what it was represented to be.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:34 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
I do not know what is more puzzling. That people on this board continue to do business with pwcc or that they post about it like it’s nothing. congrats to everyone on their pwcc pickups. I hope every card is not what it was represented to be.
It is seriously puzzling but with all the ethical questions I have seen posted over the years I am not surprised. The bright side is some very unethical people are honest about it.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:11 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:

Here's why I choose to continue to bid with PWCC:

I live in an area (South-Central Texas), where the closest card show occurs twice a year, and is 200 miles away. I am dealing with chronic medical/physical issues that mean I'm no longer able to travel that far. I'm also not able to walk very far without difficulty.

That leaves ebay and auction houses as my only resource for adding to my collection. Believe me, I look all over for the cards I want (including the BST Forum here), and for the most part, PWCC is one of the very few that seem to get what I'm wanting.

I have always been a "Buy the card, and not the holder!" person. A large amount of the time, I disregard a card on my wantlist even though it is in the grade I want; because it doesn't have the "eye-appeal" I'm looking for, or the seller doesn't provide large enough front/back scans. I carefully examine every card I consider buying.

I totally understand everyone's feelings about the current issues; I tend to agree with them. I do not feel, however, that I can simply disregard PWCC (or anyone else) out-of-hand, if I want to continue collecting.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 07-15-2019, 09:19 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
Here's why I choose to continue to bid with PWCC:

I live in an area (South-Central Texas), where the closest card show occurs twice a year, and is 200 miles away. I am dealing with chronic medical/physical issues that mean I'm no longer able to travel that far. I'm also not able to walk very far without difficulty.

That leaves ebay and auction houses as my only resource for adding to my collection. Believe me, I look all over for the cards I want (including the BST Forum here), and for the most part, PWCC is one of the very few that seem to get what I'm wanting.

I have always been a "Buy the card, and not the holder!" person. A large amount of the time, I disregard a card on my wantlist even though it is in the grade I want; because it doesn't have the "eye-appeal" I'm looking for, or the seller doesn't provide large enough front/back scans. I carefully examine every card I consider buying.

I totally understand everyone's feelings about the current issues; I tend to agree with them. I do not feel, however, that I can simply disregard PWCC (or anyone else) out-of-hand, if I want to continue collecting.

Steve
I respectfully suggest that you are exactly the type of prey PWCC is looking for. If you choose to do that after all that has been said here, good luck to you. I personally think you are making a huge mistake, but everyone is entitled to make his or her own decision. I hope that it works out for you.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:19 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
Soft? I Don’t think so....

SGC 4.5 Green Cobb - $15K
PSA 4.5 Cobb Bat Off - $6K
PSA 4.5 Red Cobb - $5.8K
SGC 5 #144 Goudey Ruth - $10.6K
PSA 5 Brunner’s Young - Nearly $6K
PSA 4 M116 Wagner - $4.7K
PSA 5 T206 Speaker - Nearly $4K
PSA 5 US Caramel Gehrig - $6.1K

Just a few examples of strong pricing.
SGC 6.5 Wajo pitching - $4.1k
PSA 2.5 Matty portrait - $1k
PSA 4.5 Matty portrait - $2k
PSA 6 Matty dark cap - $3.2k
PSA 4 Cy Young portrait - $2.3k

Just a few examples of not strong pricing.

And either way, strong or not, they’re going to hit VCP.

Last edited by bounce; 07-15-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:29 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Lots of focus on the bidders, but what about the consignors? Isn’t that really where it starts? Takes both to tango, but surely all the PWCC consignors aren’t scam artists?

Just pointing out there are multiple facets to this whole situation.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:37 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Lots of focus on the bidders, but what about the consignors? Isn’t that really where it starts? Takes both to tango, but surely all the PWCC consignors aren’t scam artists?

Just pointing out there are multiple facets to this whole situation.
At this point, I don't which are and which aren't. But I damn sure know some are scammers. That, in and of itself, is enough for me to say I'm out. Maybe I will miss some cards on my want list that are actually good. But I have no confidence that is true at this point. So I will take a hard pass on that. I can wait.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

They have a card I've been looking for for a long time, a 1969 Topps Super Bob Gibson. I know the card is good because nobody trims a 1969 card with huge rounded corners lol. So it goes. Pass.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:53 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
They have a card I've been looking for for a long time, a 1969 Topps Super Bob Gibson. I know the card is good because nobody trims a 1969 card with huge rounded corners lol. So it goes. Pass.
Right thing to do IMO, but it still sucks massively. I get it.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:54 PM
Scott Russell

So not to change topics but some of you know I've been working behind the scenes. Does anyone know for a certainty that the FBI or other law enforcement is involved? This info isn't for publication and you won't be quoted. It is just to satisfy some people who need to be careful what gets said for obvious reasons. Please PM me if you have knowledge (not conjecture) to share.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-15-2019, 10:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
So not to change topics but some of you know I've been working behind the scenes. Does anyone know for a certainty that the FBI or other law enforcement is involved? This info isn't for publication and you won't be quoted. It is just to satisfy some people who need to be careful what gets said for obvious reasons. Please PM me if you have knowledge (not conjecture) to share.
Good luck.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-16-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:06 PM

Just curious when this whole matter ends up on "American Greed".
Old 07-15-2019, 10:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Right thing to do IMO, but it still sucks massively. I get it.
It sucks worse that he does what he does.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:22 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
It sucks worse that he does what he does.
True dat.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
True dat.
Imagine, after everything that's been revealed, he still would have sold that bad PSA 2 T3 Cobb with a buried and bullshit addendum. For me, along with telling me that Gary had essentially retired, a defining moment.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-15-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:27 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Imagine, after everything that's been revealed, he still would have sold that bad PSA 2 T3 Cobb with a buried and bullshit addendum. For me, along with telling me that Gary had essentially retired, a defining moment.
You are preaching to the choir. Much as it hurts me, 100% agree. Complete bullshit and pretty much a character reveal, as if one was needed.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:48 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Am I the only one who thinks PWCC's business will be legally fine?

Sure a Black Eye buy Guys Who Collect but I don't see a slow down in their volume of consigned cards coming to auction.... looks to be fine to me.... every auction is loaded surely they all can't be bad.

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-16-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
That was the nail in the coffin for me.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:55 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
That is exactly how I feel. Everyone is outraged about cards being doctored, but even people posting in these threads continue to support PWCC.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 07-16-2019, 08:03 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
Soft? I Don’t think so....

SGC 4.5 Green Cobb - $15K
PSA 4.5 Cobb Bat Off - $6K
PSA 4.5 Red Cobb - $5.8K
SGC 5 #144 Goudey Ruth - $10.6K
PSA 5 Brunner’s Young - Nearly $6K
PSA 4 M116 Wagner - $4.7K
PSA 5 T206 Speaker - Nearly $4K
PSA 5 US Caramel Gehrig - $6.1K

Just a few examples of strong pricing.
Just a few examples of fakes
Old 07-16-2019, 08:13 AM
Peter Spaeth

If indeed PWCC has stopped taking Gary's cards, I wonder who he has found?

Old 07-16-2019, 08:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
If indeed PWCC has stopped taking Gary's cards, I wonder who he has found?
Investors
Old 07-16-2019, 08:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Investors
Yeah he could set up a website and just sell direct. Or sell on ebay, or Facebook.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-16-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:25 AM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

"I don't go to bed with no whore, and I don't wake up with no whore. That's how I live with myself. What about you?" -- Carl Fox (Martin Sheen) from the movie Wall Street.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2019, 11:12 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgreb View Post
"I don't go to bed with no whore, and I don't wake up with no whore. That's how I live with myself. What about you?" -- Carl Fox (Martin Sheen) from the movie Wall Street.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Reminds me of of a joke told to me by an Englishman:

Two men are getting shaves side by side at the barber shop. The barber starts to apply aftershave to one man and the man says "Whew! Don't that on me. My wife will think I went to a brothel!" The other man getting a shave says "You can use it on me. My wife doesn't know what a brothel smells like."
Old 07-16-2019, 11:50 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Quote:
Do you need a lab test to tell you if someone is probably drunk, Dale?
And why is it these cleaned cards all seem to be S_C?
Bleach is easy enough to detect with a black light and a little common sense. I've notices quite a few auctions where their card's borders are a little too clean and crisp. Anyway, Auction Houses have sold stolen, altered and forged material before and only come clean when the get busted.

In Boston the state house has been pilfered several times and in one case, the state's charter was found at auction. In another case, Walter Johnson's Opening Day baseballs signed by presidents were stolen from the Hall and found in a Ron Oscer Auction.

What could cut this in half is if the grading companies took more that 60 seconds to review their items. Grading companies are opinion makers based on what? We don't know who they are or if they have a background in document forensics to adequately determine if what they're handling hasn't been tampered with?

They started adding brightening compounds to bleach in the mid 1950's and this I suspect could dissipate with time but brighteners added to paper stock in the 1940's doesn't. You could do a test and see how long it takes?

As they say, work smarter, not harder for the things that you want. Card collecting is and should be fun but it also requires some research, and if you dont know something, ask questions -there's no such thing as a stupid question. We're all here for the same goals and to help.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:18 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
Bleach is easy enough to detect with a black light and a little common sense. I've notices quite a few auctions where their card's borders are a little too clean and crisp. Anyway, Auction Houses have sold stolen, altered and forged material before and only come clean when the get busted.

In Boston the state house has been pilfered several times and in one case, the state's charter was found at auction. In another case, Walter Johnson's Opening Day baseballs signed by presidents were stolen from the Hall and found in a Ron Oscer Auction.

What could cut this in half is if the grading companies took more that 60 seconds to review their items. Grading companies are opinion makers based on what? We don't know who they are or if they have a background in document forensics to adequately determine if what they're handling hasn't been tampered with?

They started adding brightening compounds to bleach in the mid 1950's and this I suspect could dissipate with time but brighteners added to paper stock in the 1940's doesn't. You could do a test and see how long it takes?

As they say, work smarter, not harder for the things that you want. Card collecting is and should be fun but it also requires some research, and if you dont know something, ask questions -there's no such thing as a stupid question. We're all here for the same goals and to help.
Responding to the portion in bold...

They are purely "self-appointed" experts, and have no credentials to speak of (aside from what they claim, in order to garner the most profits). It's a scam that people have mindlessly bought into, hook, line and sinker.

Realizing it is not purposeful to complain without proposing a potential solution...

Perhaps someday there could be an independent agency that would certify Professional Graders after they pass enough seminars, courses or tests to qualify. They would subsequently earn a degree of sorts. An important aspect of this would be to ensure PSA has no involvement in the certification process. Their is ample evidence that they cannot be trusted, and that their intervention would taint the entire process.

So the Certification Entity could not be the PSA School of Authentication (or Beckett or SGC, for that matter).

Would it be profitable, or even a good business venture? Probably not.

Would it benefit the hobby? Definitely

Last edited by perezfan; 07-16-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:50 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

If I ever buy a graded card again I'll first research it to see if PWCC had it in their possession at any point. If so, I'll pass. Reality, though, I may never buy a graded card again and I've been a strong supporter for the past 20 years.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:00 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Well, soft or not, I didn’t bid. Hell, I totally forgot an auction was ending. Probably the first time in 3-4 years I didn’t bid on something. I have to imagine I am not the only one.
You're not.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:45 PM

I noticed another auction started. While I am still not bidding, naturally I am super curious, on many levels, about what’s in the auction and how it shakes out. Aside from a PSA 7 red Cobb (that’s not a suspect occurrence in a pwcc auction...) and the e105 CY young, which is beast and something I would totally bid on otherwise, I think the pre-1920/pre-war T and E offerings (like the last auction) are fairly weak, compared to prior auctions. I will be tracking this auction with interest.

What do you think of the auction? I think perhaps this whole mess is impacting PWCC as far as the pre-war T, E, and D (“TED”) cards are concerned.

No lawsuits or criminal charges (yet), but us consumers and consignors do have a voice through buying and selling habits/decisions.

One thing I notice is that it’s often only the higher graded, stud HOF cards that get the special PWCC stickers- do we really need a sticker to tell us a 7 has good eye appeal?!?!
Old 10-04-2019, 06:50 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
One thing I notice is that it’s often only the higher graded, stud HOF cards that get the special PWCC stickers- do we really need a sticker to tell us a 7 has good eye appeal?!?!
Those stickers have shown us over time that they're the best chances to be altered by many of the vintage scam artists revealed in the last six months. Those are Brent's beaconing device to tell you these cards are most likely trimmed/bleached/recolored and soon to be returned for a full refund and upcoming purgatory in an FBI evidence warehouse/vault.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:06 PM
Banned

any brown lenoxes in this one?
Old 10-04-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
any brown lenoxes in this one?
Thankfully no. As I suspect you know considering your post, a Brown Lenox was the last card I bid on (and won) in a pwcc auction in June - and that would be tough to hold off on. But since that auction, I have chosen not to participate in their auctions.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:10 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

PWCC: The Fish Stinks From the Head
PSA: Regularly Get Cheated

--Thanks for the chuckle, John.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-05-2019, 05:17 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

That's been my signature block for months now. It's kind of like Congress I guess. Public trust has eroded on the TPGs and auctionhouses exposed, but all the lines of business still run through them.
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:38 AM
DR
David R@tliff

agree that the selection is relatively weak. I'm interested also to see how prices may be impacted by all the recent states that have sales tax being collected now.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:14 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
agree that the selection is relatively weak. I'm interested also to see how prices may be impacted by all the recent states that have sales tax being collected now.
I don’t think the selection is weak. There are a lot of Ruth and Cobb cards in the current auction... like the vgex Maple Crispette Ruth. Or the VGEX Type 2 coupon Cobb. wink wink.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:44 PM
Jay Cee

I don't keep up with PWCC as I'm sure someone else will replace them as a PSA outlet for altered cards. Questionable business practices and all the bad press has to catch up with them. So, how is Small Traditions looking as I hear they are gaining in popularity.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

There are numerous outlets for altered cards. PWCC is high profile, but all the focus on them (part of which was due to the ability to track before and after scans) should not leave the impression they are unique in this regard.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-05-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:10 PM
Paul

Default Current PWCC

Poor Jackie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog View Post
Card is in the newest PWCC Ebay auction.

Purchased raw for $900.00 on May 05, 2015. Seller mentions a surface crease.

"You are bidding on a 1948 Leaf #79 Jackie Robinson Rookie card. The card is a great looking card. It has 4 nice corners, and nicely centered. It has a stain on the back of the card and also has a surface crease. Check the pictures. . Free shipping"

Links to first purchase:
Worthpoint - https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...-rc-1753033429
CardTarget - http://www.cardtarget.com/cards/53513

Card is now a SGC 7 with a glowing description.

"Those who've studied the '48 Leaf Jackie Robinson rookie know quickly how this example is a world apart from the rest. Easily ranking among the finest copies we've had the pleasure of brokering in our long tenure and conservatively ranking within the top 30% of our quality spectrum. This card lights up the room with its glowing lemon-yellow background and virtually 50-50 centering. The borders are virtually immaculate, the periphery is blemish free and the card stock is NM-MT. Furthermore, three corners are pin-point sharp while the bottom right has a microscopic touch present at the extreme point. An exceedingly light horizontal print roller mark through Jackie's hat is all that keeps from grading higher. In conclusion, this is simply a world class example of a highly significant production, both in the world in trading cards and our country's culture and history."

Stain reduced at the top of the card front. Edges (especially at the top) are significantly better. No mention of the crease.

PWCC listing - https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Leaf-J...wAAOSw7gpdlmJK

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=5573

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 10-06-2019, 09:07 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Ugh...

How many 1948-49 Leafs does that make now? Hate to say it, but I'd be suspicious of any '48-'49 Leaf Cards graded "5" or better.