NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Default Just won my first T206 card on Ebay.

Posted By: Justin

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-T206-athletics-EDDIE-COLLINS-Sweet-Caporal-BACK_W0QQitemZ110090839907QQihZ001QQcategoryZ86840 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am trying to get rookies(or early cards) of the 3000 hit club. I just missed out on a Lajoie(throwing) last night too.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

Congratulations on your first T206.

But IMO you spent a little to much for an ungraded card. From the looks of it will grade a PSA 1 and those usuallt fetch about $60.00 in auction. So being a beginner as well you may want to just go for graded cards and use an online price guide to gauge you bidding.

But welcome to the club and you have a long ways to go but that is the fun of the hobby.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Welcome to a wonderful journey.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mark

Just sent you an email about a SGC 40 Collins in super shape. Welcome aboard.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Congratulations, Justin.

That T206 of Collins was the 3rd HOFer that I acquired in T206. I recall the day I got him! And you'll remember him, too.

There are a bunch of guys on this board who think that collecting anything other than slabbed cards is foolish, so they'll malign your purchase of an ungraded card, as well as its condition.

I'm not among them.

What you've done is bought an old card of a player who amassed over 3000 hits. A card from his playing days. A little piece of history. That's how I think of them. It seems to me that some modern collectors have no idea that he received a degree from Columbia University, that he played under an assumed name in semi-pro before graduating, that he played for Connie Mack, or that in later years he was in management with the Red Sox... Some of the guys know only his last name, that he's in the Hall of Fame, and they know whatever number some grader gave him before entombing him in plastic.

So I applaud your acquisition. Collecting T206 is like chasing 3000 hits. You can't get there in a day. If you don't get bitten by the T206 bug and you stay focused on you 3000 hit collection, then that is great, too. They would make a neat display. Show the cards to some kids, when you get a chance. We have to have another generation of collectors interested in what we chase, or these little pieces of cardboard will be mere bookmarks.

So well done. Collect what you want! And pay no heed to the folks who think you should only buy graded cards.

With kind regards,

Frank

Old 02-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Justin,

It's a good buy at a good price. At the Tri-Star I went to in the Bay Area this weekend, people were trying to sell '33 Goudey Hall of Famers in slightly better condition for the same price.

Considering that the T-206 was printed on much thinner stock than the Goudeys I think you got a good deal.

Peter

Old 02-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

I'm on the opposite coast, but it's been a while since I've made it to a card show...anything interesting? what's the scoop?
thanks,
Jason

Old 02-27-2007, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Jason,

I enjoyed the Tri-Star in the Bay Area, but big shows are occurring only once every couple of months. Next month Joe Montana and Jerry Rice are going to be at a big show at the San Jose Convention Center.

At the Tri-Star I was in and out in about an hour and a half. I was surprised that there was quite a bit of vintage and pre-war stuff. But almost all of it was in lower grades. For higher grade stuff the dealers were asking outrageous prices.

It seems like fewer and fewer collectors are going to these shows, maybe it was the weather. It was raining off and on the entire weekend.

In a way these big shows are really for the dealers, they spend a lot of time buying from each other and talking about old times.

Peter

Old 02-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Since you were the highest bidder by only a penny, the market for that card at that point in time was $75.00 to $75.01. Thus, you paid the going market rate for that card and should not be disappointed that cards in the same condition have previously sold for less. Indeed, a PSA 1 for sale at the same time likely would have sold for $75.01 as well.

Having said that, if you continue to purchase T206 cards on-line, it would make sense for you not to invest too heavily in raw cards, since you will be relying on scans and dealer/seller representations that will often be heavily biases against you. Third-party grading takes those biases out of the equation and makes for a much safer and more reliable on-line collecting community.

After you get the slabbed cards home, you can do like Frank and crack those babies out. But a slabbed card is much less likely to come with any unwanted surprises from an on-line sale.

Finally, but foremost, congratulations on your first T206 card. 10 years and 520 different T206 cards later, and I still can't stop.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Welcome aboard Justin.
You've joined a great group of T206 scholars who will provide you answers and
questions which will last you a lifetime.
I'm at 498 different T206s---hopefully, 500 when my friend TRex comes
back from Philly.
I love the cards even more than i did when i got my first Matty in '82.

As we say, it's a great ride.

best,

Barry

Old 02-28-2007, 02:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Pelaez

Justin, congratulations on your first T206.
You did well.
I prefer them raw, but then again, I've handled many tobacco cards in my time.
I'm a set collector, if they come entombed, I free them and let them breath.
I've never sold a card.
I've never ever bought a card wondering what it would fetch later.
My enjoyment is simple.
The joy of filling an empty slot of whatever set I'm working on.

Justin, may you also experience the joy and pleasure of filling in the empty card slots as I have.

Right now, I have two T206 sets.
The very nice looking one, is missing just one card from the known T206 check list.

The beater set, (my favorite one) I just picked up another one, and it's down to ten needed for completion of the known T206 check list.

Have fun.
Go for the Gusto.
Leave the investing, to the investors.
Develop a Don Quijote attitude, seek, search and wonder what's over the next hill. ..... maybe the card that you search for will be there. ... they can't all be windmills.
Hurry Sancho, ... my lance.