NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-11-2019, 08:30 AM
John Startleman

Some rose-colored glasses up in here. The core reason for PSA and BGS' existance is keeping their customers safe from fraud. lol 'This is fine' comes to mind. As if these companies will police themselves.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:17 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

You get a flu shot every year to minimize your chance of getting the flu. You don't smoke (hopefully) to minimize your chance of getting heart and respiratory disease. You wear a seat belt to minimize your chance of getting killed in an auto accident. Nothing completely eliminates bad outcomes; you can, however, reduce the probability of them happening. Grading cards substantially reduces the chance of getting doctored cards; it does not eliminate it. Procedures will improve over time to reduce the probability of getting a doctored card still further. However, like in the prior examples, the probability will never go to zero. If you can live with that great. If not, you will never be happy.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Jay perhaps but they've been doing this for 28 years now. What's your basis for thinking things are improving? For me these revelations are confirming my wildest fears.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-11-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:00 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

What is really being overlooked here, imo, is how good is the work that is being done? Nobody has answered this question no matter how many times I have asked it. It is pretty easy, in most cases, from what I have seen to tell the alterations from before and after pics. But what about cards that have never been previously holdered or cards that have never been sold online to have an electronic footprint? Is the work so good that it can't be reasonably detected by the advanced collector or by TPG's? I'm not interested in another response that "Oh the TPG's are the professionals and should be able to....". Yeah, I get that, but would this work be undetectable by 99.9% of people without before and after pics??

Last edited by Promethius88; 06-11-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:35 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
What is really being overlooked here, imo, is how good is the work that is being done? Nobody has answered this question no matter how many times I have asked it. It is pretty easy, in most cases, from what I have seen to tell the alterations from before and after pics. But what about cards that have never been previously holdered or cards that have never been sold online to have an electronic footprint? Is the work so good that it can't be reasonably detected by the advanced collector or by TPG's? I'm not interested in another response that "Oh the TPG's are the professionals and should be able to....". Yeah, I get that, but would this work be undetectable by 99.9% of people without before and after pics??
And it's a good question. I've never seen one of the cards in question in person.

Last edited by drcy; 06-11-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
I have posted several times that in my opinion, at least some of the work is very very difficult to detect given the level of review. This isn't crime lab review by any means.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-11-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:15 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Peter- First, I think grading has gotten marginally more accurate over time. I also think that because of the current situation, really a wake up call, PSA, if they are smart, will try to upgrade their procedures. I know if I was running the company that is what I would be doing. It's a public company. If management doesn't do this the board ought to step in and find management who will.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Peter- First, I think grading has gotten marginally more accurate over time. I also think that because of the current situation, really a wake up call, PSA, if they are smart, will try to upgrade their procedures. I know if I was running the company that is what I would be doing. It's a public company. If management doesn't do this the board ought to step in and find management who will.
I think their grading may have improved, but I have no confidence that their authentication has. Big difference. Their corporate culture over the years does not give me much confidence that they will do anything more than close ranks, maintain their usual secrecy, do damage control, and try to shift blame and responsibility to others. And above all else, minimize by whatever means necessary the hit to that guarantee. So far their response has been a page out of that playbook. We will see and I hope you are right.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-11-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:20 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
You get a flu shot every year to minimize your chance of getting the flu. You don't smoke (hopefully) to minimize your chance of getting heart and respiratory disease. You wear a seat belt to minimize your chance of getting killed in an auto accident. Nothing completely eliminates bad outcomes; you can, however, reduce the probability of them happening. Grading cards substantially reduces the chance of getting doctored cards; it does not eliminate it. Procedures will improve over time to reduce the probability of getting a doctored card still further. However, like in the prior examples, the probability will never go to zero. If you can live with that great. If not, you will never be happy.
Procedures will also improve over time to increase the probability of getting a doctored card past the graders. But everything happening now is small potatoes compared to what eventually kills off the TPG business and probably the hobby itself -- AI and 3D printing technology advanced enough to fabricate new "old" cards identical to the actual old cards. It's not as though the molecules that make up a T206 Wagner are particularly scarce on our planet. At that point though I guess we'll have bigger problems to worry about.

Last edited by darwinbulldog; 06-11-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:25 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:

Nail Squarely Hit!

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 06-11-2019, 08:22 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

The recoloring seems pretty evident, even to the naked eye in the scans. Maybe because it was pointed out?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-12-2019, 09:15 AM
Steve Birmingham

That's entirely possible. If you know where to look, you'll be able to see it every time.

I'd really like to get one of these cards in hand to see how good the alterations are and if I can tell.

I will say that if the time allowed for inspection is under 1-2 minutes, the work doesn't have to be all that good.
Given a bit more time, and even pretty good alterations should be detectable without much technology. And given a very good amount of time and some specific info on that particular issue, there should be almost no undetectable alterations.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:28 AM
Rob

Quote:
Present, ever growing list of doctored cards, notwithstanding...
Old 06-14-2019, 03:17 PM
SM

Not sure if anyone read this ..

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/14/y...fraud.amp.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2019, 03:17 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

How was this resolved? It looked like you might have gotten hit with other Mosered cards, right? Did they inform you of all the cards you bought from all the possible known scammers when you contacted them?
Thanks!
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:05 PM
SM

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/spor...outputType=amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk