NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-15-2003, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Default Cards from boxes

Posted By: Glen V

What are your views on:

If an image is cut from a box does it qualify as a card?

How much of the "card" is needed? The All Star Base-ball on Ebay for instance: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=2700778977&rd=1 The text above the card is gone (unlike the picture of one in the SCD Guide). Plus the edges have been trimmed to the picture. Does this still grade EX? Is the card complete? Is the text a bonus?

Old 01-15-2003, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Default Cards from boxes

Posted By: fkw

In my opinion, it all depends on the set. The "All Star Base Ball Package" cards are very very scarce, and many more time than not found WITHOUT the words "All Star Base Ball Package" on the front. I have only seen a small handful of cards that had the complete wording above the players picture. Im sure most kids cut that part away right from the start (I know I would have). So I would collect them as I find them, with the full sized complete box side pannel (complete card) adding a fairly good premium to the value. The 1910 era "Orange Border", "Base Ball Bats" candy, "J=K" candy, etc. cards are found with complete borders more often, but still there are many cards from these series that are cut close (without borders). These "candy box" cards are very scarce, so most set collectors will take what they can find, with nicer examples bring a large premium. The book values on these sets has finally caught up to there true value in my opinion. I would be interested in any of these candy box cards (any condition) if any has any they want to move Frank

Old 01-16-2003, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Default Cards from boxes

Posted By: runscott

from the set my "unknown Cobb" came from. I'm counting on you man!

Old 01-16-2003, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Default Cards from boxes

Posted By: Robert {Bigb13}

I would not bid on that item after reading that thread about the Ty Cobb that SGC said was altered from this seller. And that he would not refund the buyers money. Rob

Old 01-16-2003, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Default Cards from boxes

Posted By: runscott

but, Robert, there are many posters on this board who buy regularly from this seller with absolutely no second thoughts. I really think the previously beat-to-death transaction had another side to the story, which we aren't going to find out, so why write the guy off? If you see something he is selling that you are interested in, I recommend bidding - if you have a sour transaction then make your decision. This isn't meant to take anything away from Wesley or Brian Daniels, but rather to positively reinforce a source for vintage material that you'd be better off leaving open (in my opinion).

Old 01-16-2003, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Default Cards from boxes

Posted By: fkw

Lew Lipset ("theoldjudge") is one of the most knowledgeable collectors ever. He is the author of the best (my opinion) vintage baseball card reference books ever, "The Baseball Card Encyclopedia" Vol. 1-3 (1983). Most of the info in the SCD Catalogs on vintage cards is based on info found in his 3 volume set. I would never have a problem buying from him. I think the Cobb problem is an isolated case, and was consigned to his auction. I didnt follow all of it so I am not sure. I have bid on and bought quality rarer cards from Mr. Lipset since the mid 80's, and have never had a problem. He is one of the good guys. Frank

Old 01-16-2003, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Default Cards from boxes

Posted By: RobertS

And, remember, Lipset gets his hands on some great stuff that you won't see elsewhere!

Eve the stuff he sold Mike Wheat a few years ago (when he unloaded his collection) was great and really beefed up Mike's catalog until it was sold off...

RobertS

Old 01-17-2003, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Default Cards from boxes

Posted By: Bob Lemke

much of the vintage card information in the first edition of the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards was obtained from Lew Lipset's Encyclopedias. It was contracted for and paid for; it was not pirated.