NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 08-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 Diamond Matchbooks...new variation?

Posted By: John S

Recently picked this one up on eBay....Steve Owen is listed in all checklists as an uncorrected error (his brother Bill's bio is used in place of his). My example has the correct bio. Of the handful of examples that I have seen all were the "error" version. Has anyone else that collects these ever seen a corrected version?

Old 08-11-2007, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Casey

I don't have much input as far as what you are asking. I have never gotten into collecting the matchbooks, but I think it would be cool for you to share what you like about the set, why you collect it, etc. I would be interested to know more than just what I see in the annual price guide listings.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Casey,

Diamond Match produced football player matchbooks from 1933 to 1938. For vintage football collectors, due to lack of material available, the matchbooks are the only option for a collector to obtail period/active pieces of many early NFL players. For matchbooks the photos are attractive and the bios are informative.

In general, 1933's are the most difficult to obtain followed by 1938, 1935, and 1934. 1936 and 1937 matchbooks are not particularly difficult. However, within each set there are some extremely rare examples.

The checklist for 1934, in my estimation, is not complete. There will be an addition to this set in the 2007-08 Football Beckett and I would bet there will be more in the future. Most of the set numbers are divisible by twelve and the '34 set currently stands at 125 (132 would be the next multiple of twelve). Surprisingly, due to their popularity at the time, Bears and Packer players seem to be the most difficult to obtain in the '34 set.

The 1933 has the high dollar examples (and I assume these values will continue to increase) with matchbooks of Cal Hubbard, Arnie Herber, Clark Hinkle, Red Grange, and Bronko Nagurski (plus adozen ohter early stars/HOFers including the owen that I posted). The Herber is next to impossible and if there are 20 examples total I would be surprised. I surveyed four experienced vintage dealers last year and collectively they could only account for six or seven Herbers in the last 20 years (and it is quite possible that that some duplicity existed in their accounting).

Hope that helps.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

I heard from a fellow collector that this matchbook is not a newly discovered variation but has never been cataloged by Beckett.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John E

As a collector of Packers cards, he has been on my want list for a long time. The last time it came up on Ebay I bid what I thought an insane amount and still got aced out. He's the only Packer I'm still missing from the set.
PS- I also love to find an example of a Walker's Cleaners card, but I haven't seen one in years.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Can John or anyone post an image of Morry Bodenger – 1933 Diamond Matchbooks (Detroit Lions)

Thanks.
Alan

Old 08-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator

I do not have one Alan or I would gladly post.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Hey Guys,

I have been thinking about starting to collect Diamond Matchbooks of Philadelphia Eagle players for a while now and just picked up my first one.

Any tips for finding these? They don't seem to show up on ebay that much or maybe its just me not searching well.
Anyone have any Eagles they would be willing to part with?

Also I am not familiar with dating these yet, what year do you think this one is?

thanks and sorry for all the questions
KJ

Old 08-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Administrator

1936. 1936 and 1937 are the only years to use an ornate frame around the players image. Only Bears and Eagles were produced in 1936, only Bears in 1937.

Search under "pre-1950 football" and do searches for "football matchbook" or "football matchcover". The '36 and '37 matchbooks are usually had for under $5. I sold a lot of 18 for $30 on eBay a year ago.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Thanks alot John,
Your search suggestions showed up a few more that I had not found when I was simply searching Diamond matchbooks etc.

thanks
KJ

Old 08-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John E

It may also pay to search outside of the sports category. I paid $10 for my Cal Hubbard, it was mixed in with some girlie match covers and wasn't mentioned in the title.