NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Dave Grob

Default Team Bat Sets

Around 2000-2001 I sold off the bulk of my Reds collection as we bought our first house. Part of this included game use bats for every position player from the 1970, 1972, and 1975-1976 teams (except Julian Javier). Then around 2004, I sold off most of my bats from the players for the original TV series Home Run derby.

Feeling at a loss for Cincinnati, I decided to keep the Frank Robinson bat from the Home Run Derby set and start in on the 1961 Reds team. I have already posted about landing the Jerry Zimmerman bat, but I would love to hear from folks who put or are putting together “team set” of vintage game used bats (pre-1980s). Questions for the thread are along the lines of:

1. What team?
2. Why you picked it?
3. Toughest bat of the set (NOT the most expensive)?
4. Was there one that got away?
5. How close are you?

For me, I may try to pick up two more players to take it down to all position players with 50 or games and then declare victory.

Dave Grob
Old 05-08-2017, 05:11 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grob View Post
Around 2000-2001 I sold off the bulk of my Reds collection as we bought our first house. Part of this included game use bats for every position player from the 1970, 1972, and 1975-1976 teams (except Julian Javier). Then around 2004, I sold off most of my bats from the players for the original TV series Home Run derby.

Feeling at a loss for Cincinnati, I decided to keep the Frank Robinson bat from the Home Run Derby set and start in on the 1961 Reds team. I have already posted about landing the Jerry Zimmerman bat, but I would love to hear from folks who put or are putting together “team set” of vintage game used bats (pre-1980s). Questions for the thread are along the lines of:

1. What team?
2. Why you picked it?
3. Toughest bat of the set (NOT the most expensive)?
4. Was there one that got away?
5. How close are you?

For me, I may try to pick up two more players to take it down to all position players with 50 or games and then declare victory.

Dave Grob
How difficult would it be to get a bat from every single player on the 61 Reds?
Old 05-08-2017, 05:48 PM
Dave Grob

Default Team Bat Sets

Dan,
Wow...There are 37 players for that team. I suspect that some of the pitchers may not have bats of their own, but you could see bats with PITCHERS on the barrel and their number on the knob. I have seen that a few times. I have been pretty involved in collecting Reds stuff off and on (more on than off) since the late 1970s, and really can’t imagine that this might be too feasible given how long it has taken me to get this far with a pretty concerted effort.
Dave Grob
Old 05-08-2017, 05:52 PM
Dan Bretta

I figured as much, but wasn't sure if you had passed on bats from players who had appeared in fewer games than your criteria for your collection.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:01 PM
Dave Grob

Default Team Bats

Dan,

There have been a couple of players (2-3) that I have passed on, but these have guys who may have appeared in the 4-6 game range. For me, they just seemed out of context and, if I get them, it would just gnaw at me that I could not find them all. I guess with age has come the balance between the hunt and some informed and managed expectations.

Dave Grob
Old 05-08-2017, 06:26 PM
Rob

Question for you, Dave.....do your 1961 Reds team bats have to have the markings of that era? LS had a 1961-63 style and Adirindacks were marked the same from 1961-67. I'm thinking this is not part of your criteria because this would make a very tough task nearly impossible, especially with the Louisville Sluggers.

I have a couple hundred Giants bats. My criteria is (for ones not marked with the team name) that the markings match or overlap any particular player's time in the orange and black.

I may look in my records and see if I am nearly complete on any particular team. If so, I'm guessing one of the Humm Baby teams (1987-89) or the 103 game winners (with no playoffs ) of 1993.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:11 AM
Matt

Default 1984 Tigers...

Dave...............I'm breaking your rules, but not by too much. I've been on a quest since 2002 to get a 1984 era, game used bat from all 21 position players on the 1984 Detroit Tigers roster. I attended my first MLB game 1984 when I was 9 years old and it happened to be during a great season. My father took me on Sept. 16th to the old Tiger Stadium, just before the playoffs. I still remember how 'green' the grass was in person. I'm down to needing just two...Rod Allen and Rusty Kuntz. Kuntz shouldn't be hard. Allen is very scarce.

1. What team? 1984 Detroit Tigers
2. Why you picked it? First year and team my Dad took me to see a game.
3. Toughest bat of the set (NOT the most expensive)? Rod Allen
4. Was there one that got away? Not really
5. How close are you? 2 more.

Cool topic................Matt
Old 05-12-2017, 10:33 AM
Dave Grob

Default Team Bat Sets

Matt,

What a great post all the way around! Best wishes and even better luck as you close in the final two. The 1984 Tigers performance just underscored what a huge mistake Dick Wagner made in firing Sparky Anderson.

Dave Grob
Old 06-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Mike Reid

1984 Tigers. I have Parrish, Lowry, Evans, Bergman, Whitaker, Baker, Trammell, Castillo, Brookens, Gibson, Lemon, Herndon, Garbey, Grubb, Johnson, Jones, Kuntz, Simmons. Looking for Scotty Earl.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:49 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 View Post
1984 Tigers. I have Parrish, Lowry, Evans, Bergman, Whitaker, Baker, Trammell, Castillo, Brookens, Gibson, Lemon, Herndon, Garbey, Grubb, Johnson, Jones, Kuntz, Simmons. Looking for Scotty Earl.
Congratulations! That must have been an enjoyable pursuit. I'm curious about the hunt for the Scott Earl bat. Is there anything you can do besides scan eBay from time to time?
Old 06-10-2019, 04:27 PM
Mike Reid

Scanning the bay and keeping my eyes open at some the larger shows. The cool part is I have all of them signed except the Lowry. I have a small start on the 68 Tigers as well. I have the Stanley, Horton, Dobson, Brown (I think) and Tracewski.