NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 09-19-2018, 01:00 PM
Ken Marks

Default 1962 Post Cereal Football Book Published

A bit of self-promotion here, but wanted to give interested collectors a heads-up on a book I recently finalized discussing the Post Cereal's 1962 football card promotion. The book titled "Goal Posts: The 1962 Post Cereal Football Card Promotion" is published on Amazon.com. It contain hundreds of color pictures of cards, panels, boxes and advertising materials along with discussion and analysis of various aspects of the card set; and has been very well received within the hobby.

Rich Mueller of Sports Collectors Daily graciously did a write-up today on his website detailing more information about the book. If interested, this is the link to his story.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...ball-card-set/
Old 09-19-2018, 04:52 PM
Mike Dugan

Hey Ken is the book offered anywhere other than Amazon? Their shipping is brutal.

Thanks, Mike
Old 09-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Mike Dugan

I found it on Barnes and Noble and my copy is ordered!
Old 09-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Ken Marks

Default Good to know

Interesting. This is all new to me. I thought it was only on Amazon. But glad you found it with at Barnes and Noble with better shipping costs. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-19-2018, 09:15 PM
Mike Reid

One of my favorite football sets of all time. I feel very fortunate to own a number of unfolded boxes. Can’t wait to read the book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5C34E0F5-F909-4078-91F5-F76F9CE840B4.jpg (20.0 KB, 469 views)
Old 09-20-2018, 04:14 AM
Jeff P

The book sounds awesome! I will need to track it down.

For anyone looking for online information about the Post football set, Robin Pauls created a very comprehensive web site here:

http://postcerealfootball.com/

Robin is a great guy and also a member of the new Vintage Football Community (VFC)!

jeff
Old 09-20-2018, 08:21 AM
Michael Skiles

Default New Book

I know both Robin and Ken. Robin's site is fantastic. I have ordered Ken's book through Amazon (the wife has Prime so free shipping) I know it will be well worth reading.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:54 AM
Mike Blai$dell

Default 1962 Post Cereal Football Book Published

Thanks Ken - just ordered. Looking forward to your book!
Old 09-20-2018, 01:25 PM
Ken Marks

Default Thanks.

Thanks everyone for ordering. Hope you enjoy. If anyone wants to contact me with questions or observations or whatever, please do so.

Ken Marks bwnrot@aol.com (916) 508-7872.

Mike B-intend to give you a call here soon if OK. Have a question want to discuss with you if we can.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:19 AM

Default Post Cereal

I absolutely love this set---player selection is A+, and a top condition set is a beauty to behold. I bought my set (minus 5 cards) from Larry Fritsch in 1980 for about 400.00 (when it was listed for 125.00 in the first Becket FB guide) and am so happy i did. Apparently mine was a second set (in addition to his own) that Fritsch tried to put together as a young collector.
http://imageevent.com/supplex55/1962...nflfootballset
Old 09-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Mike Dugan

Great set thanks for sharing!
Old 09-21-2018, 03:16 PM
Ken Marks

Default wow

What a nice conditioned set and a good story to go along with it. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:06 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Ken Marks New book on the 62 Post FB set

Hi Gang:

Got my copy and all I can say is WOW!!

If you have any interest in this set, this book is a MUST.

The work that went into this must have been massive. Great info and photos.

Super job Ken!

Fred
Old 09-27-2018, 11:41 AM

I only own a couple of these cards, which I inherited from my dad, but I've always liked them, and have enjoyed reading the threads on here about them. I received my copy of the book yesterday, and am very impressed with it. It has inspired me to go after the Steelers in the set.

Thank you Ken for such a great book!

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:20 AM
Bill par.sons

Starting working on this set about 3 years ago. Was very lucky to come across a lot with the baker (black), title, Ditka, #93 and 3 other sp's along with 50 or so commons for a buy it now price. Then connected with a dealer in Ohio to get most of the rest. Still need to upgrade a few, but this set has a great look and feel to it. More than the std Fleer and topps issues of that era. So many print variations that are challenging. Great set, will look to buy the book.

billp
Old 09-29-2018, 05:34 PM
Ken Marks

Default Print Variations

Glad you like the set. Three weeks with a giant dent in collecting the set. Nice.

You are right on the many print variations. There are a ton, and in fact, those (and the red and black asterisk cards of Ninowski and Baker) are all caused by the same player being printed on multiple boxes of cereal. This causes color, cropping, packaging adhesive markings differences, or other things that allow identification of which cereal box and size a player's card comes from. I try to layout in the book the various differences of each version of all players to allow someone to identify which cereal box specific cards came from. Have a great day.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:51 PM
Mike Dugan

My book came Friday and it is outstanding!
Old 10-03-2018, 02:47 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

My copy just arrived at my door a while ago. Thumbed thru it on my break from work and can't wait to dive into it! Looks like an amazing read if not overwhelming!!! As I've said before, the research involved must have been daunting but your efforts are greatly appreciated. My next questions would be, 1. When does your book on 62 Jell-O baseball come out?
2. When I get a second copy, where can I send it to have it signed??

Thanks for all your hard work, Ken and for the work that all the others contributed as well!

Tim
Old 10-09-2018, 01:23 PM
Bob Davies

Not sure if anyone besides me cares, but there is also a 1962 (and 1963) Post CFL set. Toughie to put together in nice condition, especially the '62 set. I believe the '62 CFL set was only available on the back of boxes, while the 1963 set was available as a mail in.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:36 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Post CFL Sets

Bob,

You are correct. The 62 set was available only on boxes. There are a dozen or so cards that are extremely tough to get. The 63 set was available through a mail in offer. The cards from the mail in, can be identified by their crisp white borders. There was an album available in which to paste the cards. The album exists in both French and English.

It should be noted that both sets have variations that if collected would make a "Master" set possible. 10 variations in the 62 set. 20 in the 63.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Ken Marks

Default question

Saw your reply to Post CFL cards and certainly agree (especially since we kind of tag-teamed a few years ago to reconcile the various card variations and descriptions occurring for players having cards printed on two different cereal boxes). What was not mentioned above (at least directly) relates to what is included in a 63 Post CFL Master Set. Would not you believe that for that 63 Post CFL Master set, you would need all the 160 mail-in cards in addition to the basic 160 boxed cards and the 20 variations. So that complete a 63 master set would be 340 cards. That is my view of the 63 CFL Master set.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:39 PM
Mi.ke Huds*n

Default Tremendous resource!

My wife ordered a copy for Christmas and I haven’t been able to put it down. Really sparks my interest in putting this set together. Great job!
Old 04-15-2019, 09:31 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Post Cereal book

Just wanted to get this back up on top of the page.

Went through my copy of this book again tonight and can not express how much info is included.

For anyone with just a cursory interest in the 62 Post Football set this book is a MUST!!!
Old 04-16-2019, 06:15 AM
Mike Dugan

Fred looking through the book actually took me back to 1962, great memories!
Old 04-20-2019, 01:42 PM

Default How rare are complete sets of 1962 Post FB?

Just out of curiosity, how many complete sets do you think exist in collections? And just how difficult might it be to build a set from scratch in 2019 (in terms of time, money and at least EX condition or better)?
This set has always been a favorite of mine---I purchased a near set of 195/200 from Larry Fritsch in 1980 (which he told me he had put together himself along with his own set in 1962). I seem to remember paying about 400.00 for it, and that it was priced in the first Beckett at about 125.00. I don't recall all of the 5 cards it was missing, but #139 and 193 were the last two i purchased to finish the set a few months later.
Here is a link to my set--so happy to have this in my collection:
Old 04-21-2019, 08:27 PM
Ken Marks

Default Nice

That is a very nice set. Simply outstanding and one to be proud of. There was a story that back around that time, there was a large find of uncut Post Football panels. Believe Mr. Mint was involved and panels were cut to create sets. And a number of top notch sets were built. Seems possible your set may have been one of those. Whatever the genesis, certainly a good one.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:54 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by supplex55 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many complete sets do you think exist in collections? And just how difficult might it be to build a set from scratch in 2019 (in terms of time, money and at least EX condition or better)?
This set has always been a favorite of mine---I purchased a near set of 195/200 from Larry Fritsch in 1980 (which he told me he had put together himself along with his own set in 1962). I seem to remember paying about 400.00 for it, and that it was priced in the first Beckett at about 125.00. I don't recall all of the 5 cards it was missing, but #139 and 193 were the last two i purchased to finish the set a few months later.
Here is a link to my set--so happy to have this in my collection:
I echo Ken's words on your set. It is a beauty.

I note at the bottom you show the Gifford and Unitas from the 1960 Post Cereal set. Did you know there was a "new" variation of the Gifford discovered a few years back? Perhaps Ken can chime in about that. He is the man that wrote the book after all!
Old 08-04-2020, 03:37 PM
Ken Marks

Default Post Cereal

What Fred is mentioning is pretty interesting. There was a group of us studying this set and found the variation in the Frank Gifford card. The variation occurred because Gifford was the sole player printed on both sizes of Post Cereal Grape Nuts Flakes (the only cereal these cards appeared on in the promotion). There was an article on this in Sports Collector's Daily (and a more detailed one in SCD). Have attached a link below because it shows the variation. Lastly want to mention that Fred, as much as anyone, was one of the key group members in figuring all this stuff out.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...ion-uncovered/