NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 10-29-2018, 10:12 PM
Todd Schultz

Default 1966 Topps condition question

I have about 75% of this set in sleeves and then rigid holders, where they have resided for 15-20 years, in what appears to be nm or better condition save for some that are off-centered. I took them out to put in 8-pocket sheets today and noticed that about 40% of them have slight notching or crimping on the top or bottom of the horizontal cards. These are seldom in the exact same place, and are real hard to see unless you hold them at an angle to the light--which means they are likely unseen in most scans. I do not believe I came upon these all at once but I just don't remember. Maybe the prior owner mishandled them somehow, but the remaining condition (sharp corners) makes me skeptical of that. Anyway, I assume they would grade out at 5 or less because of the flaws, and although I am not a huge graded card fan, this bums me out.

Was there something in packaging or production that made this a common occurrence? I hesitate to complete the set or replace what I have with any non-graded cards at this point if they are going to arrive with these issues.
Anyone collect this set and have insights?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:54 PM
Scott Russell

sounds like rubber band damage
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-30-2018, 07:00 PM
Todd Schultz

Thanks for the response Scott, but they're not rubber band marks. Much more subtle, usually only on top or bottom but not both, and seldom near the middle where you would expect rubber bands to be used. One mark in various places. I wish I could hold the card(s) at an angle and snap a photo to show what I mean.

Suppose you had a stack of cards, placed the stack on its side, held tight with one hand while you "strummed" a coin down the stack. I imagine that little indentation would look about the same, only then the cards would have the flaw in the same spot--maybe if some cards were upside down they would be in the mirrored position. These are more random.

Just didn't know if there were known production or packaging problems that might have caused this, or something else. Oh well.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.