NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-20-2008, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Default Chronic underbidder?

Posted By: Jason L

I may get laughed out of the gym or hear crickets chirping because no one will reveal their targets, but I'll risk it!

Has anyone found themselves to be a repeat underbidder on the same card, auction after auction?

If so, and you want to share: what card, how many times, do you think you're always fighting the same 2 or 3 collectors, do you think you are being hoarded against? any fun conspiracy theories?

I have a nice little streak started with the T206 Evers portrait, myself!

Old 08-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think everybody goes through it. I regularly bid on large lots and can't tell you how many times I finish second. Nothing you can do about it save overpaying.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff

Oddly, I find myself being the underbidder on lots of Goudeys, which then show up for sale again shortly after the first sale, by the original high bidder, and which often then sell for less. I have to guess that he's trying to buy them and PSA half-point bump them, and when they don't get it, he dumps them back on the market. I guess if he hits a few here and there, its worth it on the losers.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ali_lapoint

more often than being outbid i find myself keeping an auction page open to the last second and trying to place my bid too late.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Steele

Kind of an ironic question for me as last night I was the underbidder in all six auctions I participated in. Three pre war cards and the rest were programs. This thread helps because I am starting to get a complex!

There is one card I seem to be the chronic underbidder on and that is an M-116 Carrigan. You do not see it as often as a T206 but me thinks I have been the underbidder for several years on this card.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Klevens

Have you tried http://www.esnipe.com it will bid automatically for you in the last few seconds.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Most of the times when I am the underbidder it was something I was trying to buy for resale. As the addiction kicks in my bids (snipes) go up in relativity to how much I want something....Many times I have raised my snipe (or max bid) several times, just to be safe and when I really want something....Sometimes I have thought my snipe was way high and then I get blown out of the water.......such is collecting...

Old 08-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

Yes, I was in that exact situation. Ultimately I contacted an Ebay seller I had come to know who had never listed the card in question, but who I figured, based on what he'd been selling, might own the card. I asked if he did indeed have the card. When he said yes, I explained the situation, quoted the final selling prices of the last 2 or 3 auctions for that card for which I had been the runner up, and made a generous offer.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Many times I am the underbidder to myself....usually because my paranoia kicks in.

Not only was I the underbidder on this one I was also the second underbidder.

http://tinyurl.com/6s2j7o

Now I won the auction for $5 dollars, but as I was watching the sellers other items go off which were also minor league photos of the same guy I noticed that the one that went off right before the one I was interested in was won by a noted minor league collector who "bids to win" so I panicked and threw a in a higher bid because I thought my snipe might just not be high enough. Luckily the other minor league collector stayed away from this one (Thanks!) and I won the photo for $70 less than my high bid.

Yes, I am insane.