NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-24-2004, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Default 1914 Cracker Jack set

Posted By: Scott Elkins

you are the John D. Rosinski I recently caught shilling two auctions of yours I was bidding on (thanks to an e-mail from Dan McKee - in which, Husband-of-Tammy ALSO caught this John D. Rosinski shilling him as well!). If this is you and your problem with me - you will get over it (I have already reported these two auctions and shillings to eBay). The seller was rizjeep - the seller used the I.D. "pookyfish" to shill myself and "husband-of-tammy"!!!!

However, if you are not this person - PLEASE read what I say. I think Hal said it best - I have said BEFORE in OTHER posts the $800k was paid for RAW cards - comprende'?????????????????

NOW, the cards are being GRADED (which, if you follow eBay and ANY AUCTION, INCREASES the value SUBSTANTIALLY)!!! I know if someone told me they had one MINT card for sale, the THOUGHT would be in my mind (PSA, SGC or GAI) would ONLY grade this thing a 7 or something!!!! That is why a MINT card is worth more slabbed than raw!

This is all I am posting - any more might confuse you into me saying Mastronet does not know how to make $$$$$ or something!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: craig

Scott,
Give the caps keys a rest and get real. Nobody plunks down 800k for raw cards hoping that they will grade high. In addition I'm sure Mastro knew exactly what grades the cards would receive. He did not give a discount for raw cards because he wanted to avoid the grading fees. I have been contacted (as I'm sure other board members have) by dealers offering me cards that are not back from grading yet the dealer is confident of the grade it will receive.

Old 11-24-2004, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Scott first of all no I’m not some guy off ebay out for revenge against you so put your “pookyfish” back wear it belongs. John is a pretty common name and I’m a board member who simply disagrees with your view on the value of these cards. I have even raised an spirited discussion asking to give some insight on how you came to this monumental price tag.

That’s it I disagree. If you read my first post it was more as a question to any of you on why you feel it was such a deal. Why you also felt it was worth so much more than the 800k-sale price. It was only after you starting lecturing me on business and how people will sell goods for more than half off there value that I got heated. Once again the reasons you have given to answer my questions don’t make any sense to me and I have the right to disagree. I also don’t feel I’m the only one who feels your “conservative” value is a bit over valued, but maybe I stand alone with the few who have agreed with me.

I also “comprende'?????????????????” very well. I don’t know why you are so defensive about someone disagreeing with you, or asking for more reasons to back up your claims of real market value on this set of cards.

What you have failed to prove to me, or what I strongly disagree with you on are the following items.

1.)That this set by being put into holders today will bring nearly three times as much as it sale price of 800k virtually overnight.
2.)That Mastro or anybody for that matter would take a small amount of profit vs. the actual value. (A) Because it would take to much time & money to put together an auction. (B) Because they would not have the flexibility to sit on the working capitol until the final sale was completed. (C) It would be easier to make a little money vs. a lot of money to move it to a GOOD client. All of which are reasons you have given to us on why this set was sold for 800k vs. the 2 million that you and Greg feel “conservatively” its worth.
3.)That this set is in any way worth more on the open market as compared to the Harris set. Or should I say that it would have a higher break value on this 144 cards set vs. 520 cards in the Harris set.
4.)That the Jackson card would even come close to your 500k value I have to disagree.

So I raise one more question if you and Greg had to purchase this set of cards tomorrow to sell right away not keep, and you could purchase them for between 800k and 1 million dollars. Do you truly feel you could make the 500k to 1 million dollars in profit now that the cards are slabbed? Because that’s basically what both of you have claimed. See below.

And If this is the case why would any of the parties involved in this sale throw away the exposure and potential extra $$$$?

Scott Elkins Writes:
This was a steal for the person who bought this!
The Jackson has to be worth at least $500k+++ - GEM MINT!!!!!

Greg Schwartz Writes:
I would agree that conservatively the set is worth a million in a half bucks, based on condition, scarcity and importance of the set.

Scott Elkins Writes:
I have to agree with Greg - this set together is worth at LEAST 1.5 Million Dollars! Sold Seperately, who knows - definitely should fetch over $2 Million!

Scott Elkins Writes:
With that in mind, and this set a higher grade, it should be VERY EASY for you guys/gals to comprehend that my estimate of $1.5-$2 Million is probably very accurate!

Old 11-25-2004, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I might be getting my rumors wrong, but isn't there a lot of suspicion that the Harris collection contains a lot of trimmed/altered cards and received preferential treatment in its grading?

As to the sale price of the CJ set raw vs graded, I am sure there a premium attached to the price given the condition, but even MAstro had no clue that Jax would come back a 98. That alone would have been grounds tacking on a serious premium above the already heafty price. As of now, most of the HOFers are are 96 including Cobb and Alexander and 2 commons grade 98. It wouldn't be surprising to see Jax, Cobb, Matty, Alexander, Johnson and Wagner would fetch close to $1 million or more by themselves.

Jay

I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.

Old 11-30-2004, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H (misunderestimated)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-baseballcards-record&prov=ap&type=lgns

Old 11-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

So what were the other 2,356 cards that were in this collection?!?!?!

Old 12-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Clearly everybody who is estimating what the set would bring if broken up is speculating. There is no referrence point. What drives up prices on a lot of these high grade old cards is when there are competing people trying to complete sets in high grade or other factors. For example, there are a number of people attempting to assemble high grade T206 sets and they compete for the high grade cards they want. There are not a lot of people attempting to put together a highgrade 14 set because it is next to impossible. Thus, while the HOFs would certainly generate a lot of interest, I doubt the commons would bring as much as people are fantacising about. Somebody pulled the # $500K for the Jackson out of hat, and people seem to have jumped on the bandwagon. It is possible that it would generate that much, but my estimate would be closer to $200K. We probably will never know, and I personally hope we won't because I think that set should remain as a set and not be broken up.
JimB

Old 12-01-2004, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Old 12-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Administrator

I think Peter Garcia's ex/mt+ set on the PSA set registry counts as a high-grade set, though not in the same league as this recent find. Still it is pretty incredible in its own right.
JimB

Old 12-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Just for fun--what movie was that from, who said it, what was it in reference to, and who wrote it?

Old 12-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

the stuff dreams are made of...December 1 2004, 8:31 PM

Just for fun--what movie was that from, who said it, what was it in reference to, and who wrote it?

That quote is from, I believe, The Maltese Falcon. Bogey said it in reference to the Falcon itself. I think it was written by Dashiel Hammett.

Steve

Edited to add: That quote could of course, be said in reference to this Cracker Jack set, as it sure has got me dreaming about finding a stash of similar cards:)

Old 12-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

I actually feel bad for Peter Garcia. He has spent many years putting together an incredible set and is always trying to upgrade so that he can have the best set possible. Now it is impossible. He will have to settle for second best.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Administrator

and our little life is rounded with a sleep"--Prospero, "The Tempest" (Shakespeare)

Bogey is still cute, though. And Adam DID say "movie."

Old 12-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Chris:

Peter's 1914 set is pretty darn fabulous - and all/most of his cards are clearly of the "circulated" variety - so there is a certain charm to them, I imagine.

I've heard that he was pretty involved in the negotations on this set while it was still in the dealers hands and before Mastro got involved. He seems to be a pretty smart guy - and I imagine that he could have made a more serious move on this set if he had wanted to.

I think its cool that Peter is so interested in pre-war cards. I think it is always inspiring to see the relative youth of the hobby to be interested in more things than shiny refractors and game-used inserts cards. Doesn't Peter have the unofficial record for most PSA 10 Mantle cards owned before the age of 25?

~ms

Old 12-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

Even more mainstream coverage:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/wires/11/30/2010.ap.bbo.baseball.cards.record.0259/index.html

Old 12-02-2004, 07:31 AM
Administrator

THe modified quote is from Casablanca.
JimB

Old 12-02-2004, 07:53 AM
Administrator

round up the usual suspects.

Old 12-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Administrator

I didn't know he even knew what PSA WAS...

Old 12-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

states Mastronet "Brokered" the deal for the 1914 CJ set! So, there goes the theories that they would have left $$$$$ from breaking the set up out the window. Also, I noticed going through several back catalogs - Mastronet NEVER broke up high grade sets! Just like people complained about on this BB before in posts - their lots in their auctions seem to be catered to the dealers (who then break them up for a profit). I know the catalog with the "Southern Gentleman's" collection in it had SEVERAL HIGH GRADE sets which were sold intact (and the winning bidders could have made a profit).

I guess this all is not even relevant now, since we know from the horse's mouth that Mastronet brokered the sell! However, through my research of old Mastronet Catalogs - they just DO NOT break sets up - too much time, trouble and money I guess. Plus, that leaves the dealers with the big pocket books to bid on them (to break them up and resell the sets themselves for a profit).

Old 12-07-2004, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Scott:

Mastro did break their high-grade 1954 Wilson Franks set up into three or four lots last year, as I recall.

Also, please do not forget their Spotlight Auctions in the 2000/2001 time period. Basically they took the 1950s PSA-graded sets of an advanced collector and sold them on a card-by-card basis solely through their online auction entity. It seemed to work very well for them at the time - but the sustainability of that was ensured by a supply of a six to ten sets that were able to be broken up and sold separately. It would not work so well on a one-off basis.

Also - I'm pretty sure that Mastro has had very large single card runs from the 1915 CJ set and the 1933 Goudey set in the past. Perhaps not entire sets - but dozen and dozens of high-grade examples that were sold individually.

~ms

Old 12-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

The Wilson Franks set Marc speaks of was split up into 4 lots. PSA 9 versions of the Hodges, Feller, and Williams made up 3 lots, and 17 others were bundled in 1 lot. It is my understanding that all of the cards were won by the same person and the set was put back together.

Unfortunately they are not breaking up the 1953 Stahl Meyer set in this auction. (Probably because the Mantle is a 7)

Old 01-05-2016, 10:04 PM
A.J. Johnson

Flash back to 11 years ago. Does anyone know what happened to this pristine 1914 CJ factory set? Was it kept as a full set and does the original owner still have it? Can anyone share the details around who sold it to Mastro and why Mastro quickly turned around and sold the set for $800k?

What's your estimate on what this set is worth now?
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 01-06-2016, 11:00 AM

Holy Hell...

That Joe Jackson was a 10>???

That card alone has to be worth a million dollars right?

That's just nutts.