NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2017, 07:27 AM
Robert Williams

Default What is everyone's take on invalid bid retractions??

I recently had a high profile auction (a very undergraded Clemente rookie card) receive an invalid bid retraction. The person bid, found out the previous bidders max, then retracted his bid. It wasn't an accidental bid (no extra number or anything), and wasn't followed up immediately. I blocked him. Unlike PWCC, my policy is one retraction is enough for blockage. I just wanted everyone's opinion if that is too harsh?? Should I be more like others and allow invalid bid retractors to run rampant? Opinions wanted .....
Old 05-25-2017, 07:39 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I guess you can't be certain if the bid was nefariously intended or accidental or something else, but I think you should be able to block whomever you wish to block, and if the preponderance of evidence indicates the bidder is up to no good, well, that seems like as good a justification as any.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:43 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Current bid 345

Bid 35,000

Then retract "entered wrong amount"

Enter 350

Build a better mousetrap....they build a better mouse

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-25-2017, 07:47 AM
Dave_Berg

If someone retracts a bid on my auction. I block them immediately without any research or questions
Old 05-25-2017, 07:54 AM

I have never made a bid I didn't want to make so I don't buy the excuse. I'd have a zero tolerance policy for it too. eBay has a dummy policy in place to keep you from making an incorrect bid. You have to confirm your bid twice. Anyone who still makes an incorrect bid after confirming the bid shouldn't be allowed to retract unless their account was compromised.

Last edited by packs; 05-25-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:04 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I recently had a high profile auction (a very undergraded Clemente rookie card) receive an invalid bid retraction. The person bid, found out the previous bidders max, then retracted his bid. It wasn't an accidental bid (no extra number or anything), and wasn't followed up immediately. I blocked him. Unlike PWCC, my policy is one retraction is enough for blockage. I just wanted everyone's opinion if that is too harsh?? Should I be more like others and allow invalid bid retractors to run rampant? Opinions wanted .....
Yes, you should have blocked him.

When I'm high bidder on a card and I'm outbid and then that bidder retracts their bid exposing my proxy, most of the time I cancel my bid too - especially if I don't know the seller.

I just feel like it's the seller or one of their friends trying to find out my proxy so they can run it up to the max. By retracting my bid, I don't give them that chance.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:17 AM
Mike Lenart

If someone retracts a bid in my auction and does not follow it up right away with their correct bid, I block them right away.

Mike
Old 05-25-2017, 08:30 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I have never made a bid I didn't want to make so I don't buy the excuse. I'd have a zero tolerance policy for it too. eBay has a dummy policy in place to keep you from making an incorrect bid. You have to confirm your bid twice. Anyone who still makes an incorrect bid after confirming the bid shouldn't be allowed to retract unless their account was compromised.
It's a difficult call.

When I was relatively new at Ebay I bid on a projector I wanted that looked like it was at a good price. When I mentioned it to my friend he asked why I'd bid on one with such high shipping - it was $80 instead of the then normal 15-20. And made the good deal one that was overpriced.

That's my one retraction.
I don't recall having anyone retract a bid when I was actively selling, but my stuff was usually cheap and also usually sold with one bid. There might have been one where the first bidder retracted, and the item didn't sell, it's been a while.

If I was still doing Ebay I probably would block retractors, especially if it looked like an odd retraction.

Steve B
Old 05-25-2017, 11:54 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I had this recently done by 2 bidders.
They bidded with days to go and waited until the last day to retract.
*After the responses here--I will block them now.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 05-25-2017, 12:10 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As mentioned, someone could innocently enter the wrong amount and retracted it, but, presumably, would soonafter enter another, correct bid.

Blocking someone due to a single retraction seems too much for me (especially if they have $$ to spend on your items), but it's your auctions and your choice.

As far as nefarious bid retractions go, the issue usually isn't a once in a while bid retraction but a lot of them. If it's your item, your auction and you don't know the person, obviously he isn't a shill bidder.

Last edited by drcy; 05-25-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:32 PM
Robert Williams

I checked the persons retractions for the past 12 months. Not TOO bad...only 10.....but compared to my ZERO, that's a lot!
Old 05-25-2017, 12:46 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
If it's your item, your auction and you don't know the person, obviously he isn't a shill bidder.
Yes, but it still looks suspicious to other bidders in the auction. That was my point and why I retract my bid if I'm high bidder and my proxy is exposed.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:56 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Yes, but it still looks suspicious to other bidders in the auction. That was my point and why I retract my bid if I'm high bidder and my proxy is exposed.
I hope that is not the case.....the retractor has been blocked...but I see your point....It ruins the whole integrity of the auction.

Maybe the other guy won't mind, since his max is so close to where it sits currently anyway. He is stealing the card right now, IMHO....someone could technically win it, break it out of the low grade case, and sell it for 3 times where it sits now.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 05-25-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:05 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Yes, you should have blocked him.

When I'm high bidder on a card and I'm outbid and then that bidder retracts their bid exposing my proxy, most of the time I cancel my bid too - especially if I don't know the seller.

I just feel like it's the seller or one of their friends trying to find out my proxy so they can run it up to the max. By retracting my bid, I don't give them that chance.
Other people do that to get guys like you out so they can get the card cheaper when they have another username bid less than you did.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:08 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
I hope that is not the case.....the retractor has been blocked...but I see your point....It ruins the whole integrity of the auction.

Maybe the other guy won't mind, since his max is so close to where it sits currently anyway. He is stealing the card right now, IMHO....someone could technically win it, break it out of the low grade case, and sell it for 3 times where it sits now.
You do say that your cards can always be won for cheap and there is currently a great deal.

After the auction ends and all the bidding is done, if you pointed out how cheap your cards were bought for that would prove your point about how your auctions are giving such great deals. None is ever 'stealing the card' until the auction is over. Early bidding means nothing. If you just want to bring attention to your auction that is understandable no one is stealing any card mid auction

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 05-25-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:34 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
You do say that your cards can always be won for cheap and there is currently a great deal.

After the auction ends and all the bidding is done, if you pointed out how cheap your cards were bought for that would prove your point about how your auctions are giving such great deals. None is ever 'stealing the card' until the auction is over. Early bidding means nothing. If you just want to bring attention to your auction that is understandable no one is stealing any card mid auction
We can revisit this thread after the auction is over. Still doesn't change the fact that there is a VERY real possibility that the winning bidder will crack this card out and sell it raw.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:38 PM
Robert Williams

As much as you like to argue and bicker Jake, there is no denying that the larger sellers get more money than the smaller sellers for the exact same card (for legitimate reasons, or nefarious reasons). And that's fine by me.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:41 PM
John Wondowski

Quote:
I checked the persons retractions for the past 12 months. Not TOO bad...only 10.....but compared to my ZERO, that's a lot!
Not TOO bad? I disagree - that's ridiculous. Its either bidder's remorse or shenanigans. I agree with a blockagementation.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:59 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondo View Post
Not TOO bad? I disagree - that's ridiculous. Its either bidder's remorse or shenanigans. I agree with a blockagementation.
he got blocked...unless someone rebids the correct amount immediately, I have a "one and done" policy on bid retractors. I just wanted other people's opinions on if that was too harsh or not. Sounds like it wasn't.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:41 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondo View Post
+1

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:22 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

I would think that an invalid would have to follow the same rules for bid retractions as anyone else, but I don't understand why we are discussing it.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 05-25-2017, 07:34 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I have a simple rule. If someone retracts a bid on one of my items without placing a new bid, they are immediately blocked.

Had one guy question why I blocked him after he retracted a bid and I explained to him my rule. His response was that he has friends who bid on my stuff who have retracted bids but are still allowed to bid. I told him that they did not retract a bid at my auction. If they did, they would have also been blocked.

Since eBay does nothing to stop these people, it's really up to the seller to block these people.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 05-25-2017, 07:50 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
I would think that an invalid would have to follow the same rules for bid retractions as anyone else, but I don't understand why we are discussing it.
We are discussing it because I wanted opinions, which I have since received. Thank you so much.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:56 PM
D@le Irv*n

I lost a card the other night, (well, sort of) as the winner had 11 bid retractions in 6 months and the seller informed me after if he had known about the 11 retractions, he too would have blocked him.
( I informed him in case something fell through with the buyer)
Old 05-25-2017, 08:18 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I lost a card the other night, (well, sort of) as the winner had 11 bid retractions in 6 months and the seller informed me after if he had known about the 11 retractions, he too would have blocked him.
( I informed him in case something fell through with the buyer)
I don't even notice retractions until I block the bidder for doing it. I don't know why, but Ebay almost seems to hide retractions. It is very hard to find unless you know what you are doing.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:38 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I don't even notice retractions until I block the bidder for doing it. I don't know why, but Ebay almost seems to hide retractions. It is very hard to find unless you know what you are doing.
My seller was also unaware of it until I told him, but I am unsure if he has ever tried to look?
He was away for the week-end and had just returned shortly before that particular card sold.
I beat out the same bidder a week prior and I haven't heard anything from the seller if the deal fell through but some time has passed now so I assume all is good?
Not sure, now that the retracting buyer has won one, if the seller will still decide to block him, but if everything is on the up and up with this current purchase, I personally don't see it happening, and in all honesty, I don't blame him.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:29 AM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
We are discussing it because I wanted opinions, which I have since received. Thank you so much.
Oh man, I thought you were talking about invalids, people with disabilities. I couldn't figure out why that would make any difference, let alone how you would know if a bid retractor was disabled. Cursed homonyms.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 05-28-2017, 07:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I would want to hear why someone retracted before I l block them.
If they do it again in the next five years they are gone...That sounds about right. One retraction every 5 yrs is more than enough.

Quote:

Last edited by Leon; 05-28-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

I can remember a couple of total lunatic ebay sellers years back - one sold vintage cards and the other sold vintage pool cues. These two were both completely bat-sh*t crazy. But they both had great stuff, and if either was selling something I really wanted, I held my breath and put in my bid, knowing it might end up being a transaction from hell.

It goes the same way with lunatic ebay buyers. How badly do you want their money? Obviously, if you don't block anyone, you will have more problems, but also obviously, you will make more money.

I once blocked someone who made an offer and then retracted it, and it turned out that he was just crazy. Months later he asked me why he was blocked, so I took a chance and un-blocked him. He ended up spending a lot of money on my stuff, often with weird questions attached, etc., but his money was good.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:23 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
We can revisit this thread after the auction is over. Still doesn't change the fact that there is a VERY real possibility that the winning bidder will crack this card out and sell it raw.
How much did this card go for...a big steal?
Old 06-06-2017, 01:10 PM
Robert Williams

Yes..it sold for $666....a similar looking PSA 1 (but with a tear in it) sold for $920 or so....so I thought mine should have sold for $900 as well.....the winning bidder was a VERY big dealer/flipper on Ebay. It would not surprise me at all if the card gets broken out and sold as raw, since it looks like a 4/5 and the "issue" is so hard to spot. Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I had broken it out and sold it raw. I took a chance though, and lost.