NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-29-2016, 02:32 PM
Jeff Lar.son

Default "New" Member Introduction

Hey all,

I'm not exactly a new member - I've been lurking and posting from time to time for the past few months, but figured I'd finally introduce myself. My name is Jeff Larson, I'm 41, and only recently started collecting again. My father started "collecting" in 56, purchasing just a few packs. He ramped it up in 57 and 58, and was apparently spending every cent he made by the time the 59's, 60's, and 61's hit. He's a Yankees fan, since in his words - "That's who was always on the radio". He'd listen to the games and arrange whatever cards he had on the floor and act them out. Unfortunately that means some of his more damaged cards were also Yankees. Once he graduated high school, he gave up hoarding cards, packed everything into cardboard boxes, and let them sit. They stayed at his mom's house until the early 80's until she told him to pick them up or she'd throw them out. He did, and let them sit in our garage for a couple of years. Some time in '84, one of my uncles bought him a price guide, and they immediately came indoors, and retriggered his collecting bug. At the same time, the sickness must have spread to me and my younger brother, as we started to get interested in it. Since my dad was a Yankees fan, and I didn't know any better, I was also a Yankees fan. I also played first base in little league, so Don Mattingly was my favorite player. In fact, the first pack purchase I ever made was an 84 Donruss rack pack from K Mart, and it happened to contain a Mattingly. That's all it took for me to be all in. Well, maybe that and the '59 Mantle my parents gave me for my birthday that same year.

After collecting again for a few years, visiting shows and shops around our area, my dad decided an easy way to grow his own collection would be to open a card shop and let people bring him cards, so he did just that around 1990. My younger brother and I worked it on evenings and weekends, and he'd work it in the afternoons (he owned a small building contracting business so his hours were flexible). My two older brothers would also occasionaly work there, but they weren't as interested in cards. He said later on that one of his motivations to open the store was to help teach my younger brother and me how to deal with people. Either way it was a heck of a great way to spend "working" my high school and college years.

By the time I graduated college in early '97, I had lost most of my desire to collect as my limited disposable income was spent largely on other things, and the card market in general hadn't been all that appealing for a few years. Because of that, I decided to cash out, and sold off nearly everything in my collection, including my 84 Donruss Mattingly. Fortunately, I held onto the 59 Mantle since it held the most sentimental value at the time. My dad kept the card shop open for a couple more years, before closing it for good. He kept at least a couple of his dealer accounts and continued to purchase unopened product for several years, selling some, hoarding some, and opening a bit until 2004/05 or so, at which point he stopped completely. All of his inventory sat in his house and workshop until earlier this year. He decided he wanted to start selling it, and wanted to know if I was willing to help. Not knowing any better, and really not having any idea what was in his collection anymore, I said sure. The first thing he showed me was the workshop. The amount of unopened products he had from the late 90's and early 2000's amazed me. I had no idea how much stuff he had been sitting on. Going in I really didn't know which of these was valuable and what was junk, and since my last real exposure to unopened was from the overproduction of the early to mid 90's, I assumed it was mostly worthless. Then I started checking prices, and couldn't believe how good or hard to find some of his stuff was. Boxes and cases of late 90's basketball, signature products, and other high end boxes. Just that was overwhelming. Then, I was reminded at just how much of a raw collection he had, much of which I hadn't really ever taken a good hard look at. When I collected, I was more interested in the newer products than his old stuff (with a few exceptions), and he didn't have a good portion of his older stuff out when he had the shop. He had a 5000 count box dedicated to 57's and 58's. Another dedicated to 59's and 60's. And another with almost entirely 61's, almost all of which were from when he was a kid. Many were in top loads, but it was still a huge amount of raw cards. He also had 62's on up in good quantity, just not as many as the 57's-61's. All in all, hundreds of thousands of cards to go through, although many of them were from the junk era.

So, since then, much of my free time has been spent going through singles to pull out grading worthy cards, and getting his boxes listed on eBay. I've learned a heck of a lot since getting back in, and my eye for grading has gotten pretty good. To keep my workload at least somewhat manageable, I've sent pretty much anything valued at over $50 off to Brent. It's not as if PWCC needs a plug, but I've had nothing but great experiences with him, and it's made my job much easier. Anyway, as you can imagine, the fun of going through this stuff has been insane. There was really no way I could go through these things without rekindling my collecting bug. Unfortunately, I haven't actually had much time to work on starting to rebuild my own collection, so I'm starting small by putting together a NM or better 56 Topps set and a few Mattingly items here and there. My wife mentioned a few weeks ago that if she collected, she'd collect Babe Ruth, so one of the things I got her for her birthday is a 32 Sanella Type 1 Ruth. It's just a great looking image and card for the price even in higher grades. I figured if I can get her hooked too, it would make talking her into going to Nationals a bit easier.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I wanted to finally give an introduction, and thank anyone who has answered questions. Also thanks to the couple of guys I've done deals with so far on here.

Jeff
Old 08-31-2016, 07:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

And a belated Welcome for coming out .. Sounds like you have done a ton of sorting. ..Happy collecting, Jeff.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:21 AM
Tom Boblitt

Great notes and welcome. Never had a shop but did quite a few shows with my dad in tow in the 1980's and early 1990's. Those are some great memories.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:47 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Jeff, terrific story, and I feel with your experience and reacquired love for the cards your dad kept in the garage, you will be a great fit on this board. Welcome! I, too, am a life long Yankees fan but more the Mantle/ Maris/ Ford era than Mattingly, who, in my opinion, is doing a terrific job managing the Marlins with a scrappy squad. I live in South Florida, so maybe I am prejudiced. John
Old 08-31-2016, 09:51 AM

Hey guys...new "kid" on the block here.

I have actually read a lot of threads and things here in the past (landing here via google searches) and decided to finally join the club. I have mostly always collected baseball - but recently got interested in collecting soccer a bit...just dipping my toe in but I love the old cards and it gets addictive trying to research them, etc.

Anyway...thought I'd say hello....thanks for having me.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
Hey guys...new "kid" on the block here.

I have actually read a lot of threads and things here in the past (landing here via google searches) and decided to finally join the club. I have mostly always collected baseball - but recently got interested in collecting soccer a bit...just dipping my toe in but I love the old cards and it gets addictive trying to research them, etc.

Anyway...thought I'd say hello....thanks for having me.
Welcome to you too!! The more the merrier. All collecting is good collecting (except collecting debt)....

Old 09-02-2016, 05:46 AM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Jeff, terrific story, and I feel with your experience and reacquired love for the cards your dad kept in the garage, you will be a great fit on this board. Welcome! I, too, am a life long Yankees fan but more the Mantle/ Maris/ Ford era than Mattingly, who, in my opinion, is doing a terrific job managing the Marlins with a scrappy squad. I live in South Florida, so maybe I am prejudiced. John
Actually I prefer the same era for collecting - 50's and 60's will be my focus for sets, but Mattingly and some of the other stars of the 80's hold a soft spot in my heart. Ripken, Gwynn, and Ozzie Smith to name a few. I had great card show experiences with Gwynn and Smith, and Ripken just for what he did for baseball.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:40 PM

Default Wow

just wow! Welcome!!!

any T206 Wagners in there??????????????
Old 09-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Jeff Lar.son

I wish! Actually aside from various mantles and other 50's/60's stars in mid to high mid grade, the coolest items have been complete sets of 57 Topps basketball (mid grade), 54 Topps hockey (high grade) and 57 Topps football (mid to high grade) as well as a 72-73 Topps basketball set that was insanely nice, so far producing 75% 9's, and nothing below 8. The dr j was a 9, and I just sent off the rest of that set for grading...there may be some 7's there, but just a beautiful set all around.