NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-31-2015, 01:35 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default New Year's Resolutions…Pile Them On!!

With 2016 looming, I figured it's time to state what resolutions you think this site should incorporate to make the New Year much better. I'll start with a few, but feel free to throw in your ideas as well. I know it may sound angry (ha ha), but please take it in good fun...

1. For the love of God, on the post-war side STOP making every single post, every single thread, every single comment about Mickey freakin' Mantle, for cripes sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You might have noticed that there have actually been other people who played major league baseball since 1945.
And when you do mention the Mick, at least be honest about it. His cards are the most valuable around. That's it. That's the reason you collect him, right??!! How many of you (I know, I know. This is where a couple of people will chime in to say that they are actually big fans of him, but save it!!) would give one crap about Mickey Mantle if his cards weren't such profit generators?????

2. Stop using the word "iconic" to describe cards. It's usually the very same people describing said Mickey Mantle cards who automatically throw this ridiculously overused word into the mix, I guess to show us how smart they are?? I dunno. Here's an idea. Click on thesaurus.com, expand your vocabulary and find other words you can use, yes?

3. Stop using the term "Thanks for sharing." It is tantamount to people who now automatically say, "I'm sorry for your loss" to a bereaved person, as if they read that phrase in some 'death for beginners' book. Why in heck don't these people just say, "I'm really sorry." Why do they mechanically add "for your loss"???
If you like what someone posted here, say something like, "Hey, that's very cool! Awesome!" Leave the dumbass, robotic "Thanks for sharing" portion off!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 12-31-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:23 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing.

Don't get mad Darren it's not 2016 yet.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 12-31-2015, 02:26 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post

bwahahaha!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 12-31-2015, 02:38 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post

That statement is iconic…like my Mickey Mantle cards.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 12-31-2015, 03:18 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I'm already beyond sick of the obligatory language in every sale that the card was graded harshly, could be submitted for a bump, etc. If that
was the case I'm sure you would have done it months ago.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:58 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default : )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016.jpg (35.1 KB, 302 views)
Old 12-31-2015, 04:07 PM
Eric
Eric

Default Selling

This is a tough one because all my cards are Mickey Mantle. They are all iconic. I lost them all in a fire so you should all be sorry for my loss. They were all harshly under graded, under valued, and under appreciated. They deserved at least a full grade bump.

None of that is true. But hopefully I covered all the bases
Old 12-31-2015, 04:38 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
This is a tough one because all my cards are Mickey Mantle. They are all iconic. I lost them all in a fire so you should all be sorry for my loss. They were all harshly under graded, under valued, and under appreciated. They deserved at least a full grade bump.

None of that is true. But hopefully I covered all the bases
Thank you for…well…sharing.

Casey Stengel

Old 01-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Thank you for…well…sharing.
My New Years resolution has always been to not have one. I have always kept it too. Other than that, franks for sharing (is that better?)
Old 01-02-2016, 06:32 PM

Resolution: Get over the cold I picked up this morning just in time for nephew's wedding. I think I'm allergic to marriage.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:29 AM
Al Richter

Default Resolution

To better grok the terms "wicked"' "stupid" and "off the charts" tough
Old 01-03-2016, 09:05 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

My New Year's Resolution is to start posting names of Non Payers.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 01-04-2016, 12:31 PM

As much as it seems to frustrate you, when Mickey Mantle baseball cards are discussed, all sorts of collectors chime in with a variety of responses.

When Dean Chance passed away last year, there were but a few of us who had something to say. There was a rousing discussion going on last fall in the WATERCOOLER TALK ABOUT WHO IS MORE FAMOUS---HACK WILSON OR NELLIE FOX.

So-a, who would you like for us to discuss, anyway? Name three players that you would dearly love to see threads of? In fact, Jolly 'Ol Elm, why not intiate all three yourself? Just please keep the player in his appropriate section, and I will endeavor to chime in with something, and not mention The Commerce Comet, leaving him for all the other threads!

I'm quite restricted now on the kind of cardboard I can buy. So, my responses come from being in the hobby since roughly 1961, pulling baseball and football cards from wax packs and cellos back in those years, mail ordering baseball and hockey from a pair of venerable trading card dealers, and attending some major shows from 1972 - 1980, and one in 1988.

Remember Jolly, though you hate it, people will respond and start threads about who interests them, and THE MIGHTY MICK continues to be at or near the top. Keep punching regarding the other guys who played.

However, when someone loses someone dear to them, even if we pretty much say the same thing, at least we show that we care. If that bugs you, tough tootzies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 01-04-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
As much as it seems to frustrate you, when Mickey Mantle baseball cards are discussed, all sorts of collectors chime in with a variety of responses.

When Dean Chance passed away last year, there were but a few of us who had something to say. There was a rousing discussion going on last fall in the WATERCOOLER TALK ABOUT WHO IS MORE FAMOUS---HACK WILSON OR NELLIE FOX.

So-a, who would you like for us to discuss, anyway? Name three players that you would dearly love to see threads of? In fact, Jolly 'Ol Elm, why not intiate all three yourself? Just please keep the player in his appropriate section, and I will endeavor to chime in with something, and not mention The Commerce Comet, leaving him for all the other threads!

I'm quite restricted now on the kind of cardboard I can buy. So, my responses come from being in the hobby since roughly 1961, pulling baseball and football cards from wax packs and cellos back in those years, mail ordering baseball and hockey from a pair of venerable trading card dealers, and attending some major shows from 1972 - 1980, and one in 1988.

Remember Jolly, though you hate it, people will respond and start threads about who interests them, and THE MIGHTY MICK continues to be at or near the top. Keep punching regarding the other guys who played.

However, when someone loses someone dear to them, even if we pretty much say the same thing, at least we show that we care. If that bugs you, tough tootzies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ---Brian Powell

Well put. And to add... There is never the perfect thing to say, but just saying something is significant when there has been a loss.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:01 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:

And why do people constantly talk about Mickey Mantle cards, Mr. Tootzies??? Because they are worth so much more money than other cards. That's it. The only reason is money, so I'll be quite happy to read Mantle posts if people were more honest about it. Funny how you completely and utterly ignored that very specific aspect of my post as you wrote your BS reply.

Casey Stengel

Old 01-05-2016, 12:45 PM

My, your moniker is quite the oxymoron, tisn't it?

You assume the only reason many of us include Mickey Mantle as the basis of threads and in responses to said threads is because of the money. I try to be honest, and I am certain money has a definite part of my 56-year-old interest in baseball cards of The Mick.

I won't weary you with my own feelings for Mickey Mantle; obviously you would not find them endearing.

To assume, however, that his cards are all about money smacks of misguided, biased, and bitter enmity towards Mantle's legions of fans. So, you consider my thread trying to reach out to you and your interests BS? There's no hope for you, oh bitter one. Please, do not answer the questions I thoughtfully asked of you. I am no longer interested in you and what you have to say. I have never uttered such rancid works, and do not enjoy writing them, but the ultra-smelly slipper fits you, unfortunately.

Leon, I tried my best to reach out to him, but ..... I sincerely hope you will not take offense at my words. This will be all from me on this thread.

So long. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 01-05-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Daryl

Default Because because because!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
And why do people constantly talk about Mickey Mantle cards, Mr. Tootzies??? Because they are worth so much more money than other cards. That's it. The only reason is money, so I'll be quite happy to read Mantle posts if people were more honest about it. ...

Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because...

or is it

Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because Mickey Mantle cards are worth a lot of money because Mickey Mantle cards are popular because ...

Last edited by 4815162342; 01-05-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:24 PM
Al Richter

Default Circular ?

This is now making me dizzy
Old 01-05-2016, 01:54 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
My, your moniker is quite the oxymoron, tisn't it?

You assume the only reason many of us include Mickey Mantle as the basis of threads and in responses to said threads is because of the money. I try to be honest, and I am certain money has a definite part of my 56-year-old interest in baseball cards of The Mick.

I won't weary you with my own feelings for Mickey Mantle; obviously you would not find them endearing.

To assume, however, that his cards are all about money smacks of misguided, biased, and bitter enmity towards Mantle's legions of fans. So, you consider my thread trying to reach out to you and your interests BS? There's no hope for you, oh bitter one. Please, do not answer the questions I thoughtfully asked of you. I am no longer interested in you and what you have to say. I have never uttered such rancid works, and do not enjoy writing them, but the ultra-smelly slipper fits you, unfortunately.

Leon, I tried my best to reach out to him, but ..... I sincerely hope you will not take offense at my words. This will be all from me on this thread.

So long. ---Brian Powell
Oh, Brian 'The Brain' Powell, what a sad, sad figure you are. You take a lighthearted thread and just fill it with your obnoxious thoughts. You ignore how I pointed out that this is meant to be in 'good fun' and every single person who posted before you had some fun with it, with inside jokes and humor, but not you, Brian Powell (See? I, too, can snarkily repeat your name/screen name over and again. But whereas you think it's clever, it's just something a moronic 8 year old would do. Wouldn't you agree?). No, you are seemingly offended by what's written in this thread, BriPow, so let's find a solution.

Why don't you petition Leon to add a new 'safe place' forum for you. Heck, you can even call it 'Brian Powell's Place.' In it, no one will talk about anything that you, Brian Po Po Powell, doesn't agree with. A safe and absolutely humorless place where no one will offend your childish sensibilities. Would that make it better for you, sweet honey bun??

Casey Stengel

Old 01-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
This is now making me dizzy
Only now? Consider yourself fortunate.
And as for the topic, even though I think the Mick generates buzz by himself, the money aspect of cards is what makes them more interesting to many collectors, myself included. Of course we do it for fun but if literally every card was worth 10 cents we might be in a beanie baby dilemma.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:42 PM
Al Richter

Default Collecting

.... not if you are a serious set collector. Just a necessary evil.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:59 PM

Haha whoops should have read the first post.

NO MORE THREADS ABOUT SCRAPS!

Last edited by packs; 01-05-2016 at 04:00 PM.