NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Daryl

Default USPS package - mailman signed for it?

The card I received in the mail today was apparently signed for by the mailman and put in my mailbox. It was shipped first class with signature confirmation. Good times.

Last edited by 4815162342; 07-11-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Cain J.

Wow! That's a first for me. I'm glad you still received the card.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:07 PM

Mailmen can sign for it if you give permission. If not you should alert your postmaster.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:09 PM
D.B. Cooper

Seeing as my mailman apparently hides in a hedge and waits for me to leave my residence before ringing my doorbell every time I have a signature required package, I'd kill for that type of service.

http://imageevent.com/boboinnes/obaks

Last edited by Anthony S.; 07-11-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ins02 View Post
Wow! That's a first for me. I'm glad you still received the card.

Luckily my wife happened to be at home.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
The card I received in the mail today was apparently signed for by the mailman and put in my mailbox. It was shipped first class with signature confirmation. Good times.
This happens to me with some frequency.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Signature

Your mailman is never allowed to sign for your package, even if you give them permission. The sender has paid a fee to get your signature,not the mailman's signature. Call your Post Office and file a complaint. What would happen if the package was delivered to the wrong address, or the package was damaged? Who is responsible if the mailman signs for the item?

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post
Seeing as my mailman apparently hides in a hedge and waits for me to leave my residence before ringing my doorbell every time I have a signature required package, I'd kill for that type of service.
My mail carrier doesn't even bother to try, ever. A signature required package is an automatic slip in the mailbox and a run to the Post Office for me.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
My mail carrier doesn't even bother to try, ever. A signature required package is an automatic slip in the mailbox and a run to the Post Office for me.
Same here, its a giant pain in the ass
Old 07-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Ken McMillan

I would be happy if my mailman would sign for me. He is a great guy and I definitely trust him and his ethics. Would sabe me a trip to the post office. With that said, I am sure he wouldn't do that as he always goes by the rules. We live in a gated area so the chances of theft are pretty small.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
My mailman for the past 8 years, Terry, is a contract carrier who is awesome. He leaves the package AND the slip for me to sign. I just leave it in my box for the next day. He also has paid postage due for me and left me a post-it with the amount. He earns a big tip on the holidays!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
My mailman for the past 8 years, Terry, is a contract carrier who is awesome. He leaves the package AND the slip for me to sign. I just leave it in my box for the next day. He also has paid postage due for me and left me a post-it with the amount. He earns a big tip on the holidays!
We always tip Isaiah for Christmas and if something is postage due, he leaves a note stating how much and we leave it in the box for him. Sometimes he takes the amount and sometimes he doesn't. He is awesome.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Mark

hell, my postman didn't bother ringing my bell when i had signature required cards delivered. i watched him through my window never making an effort to ring bell or knock on the door. i went out and confronted him (after he walked across my lawn) and he claimed he pressed the bell and knocked on the door...he's a d&*k and i complained about him for not doing his job and walking across my lawn.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:49 AM
Tom Boblitt

UPS Store mailbox......they're always there and sign for everything from every carrier and it's a street address. Not cheap but worth the $15/mo if you get a lot. You can also call and check if you have mail. Can't do that at the P.O. On a P.O. Box.

Last edited by autograf; 07-12-2014 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Pete Sycks

My mailman in NC always signed for the packages himself and put them in my locked mailbox. It was great not having to schedule a redelivery and 3 days later it hasn't come and nobody knows where it is. I'm pretty sure my guy here in MN looks at the return addresses and likes to know what cards I'm getting. I once told him that in the package he's holding there's a Honus Wagner, he stopped in his tracks and I assured him "It's not that one".

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 07-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by lug-nut View Post
hell, my postman didn't bother ringing my bell when i had signature required cards delivered. i watched him through my window never making an effort to ring bell or knock on the door. i went out and confronted him (after he walked across my lawn) and he claimed he pressed the bell and knocked on the door...he's a d&*k and i complained about him for not doing his job and walking across my lawn.

I once saw my mail man throw a box on my porch as I was walking to the door. He was shocked when I opened the door and asked him why he threw the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Val Kehl

I live on the 3rd floor of a keypad-access seniors condo building. Ever since my wife and I moved here 1.5 years ago, I have striven to achieve a friendly relationship with our mail carrier, who is a nice guy, especially because we ship stuff we sell on eBay, and we very frequently leave our outgoing packages on the floor at the base of our building's bank of mailboxes for him to pick up and take with him.

Well, today, our doorbell rings, and it's our mail carrier with a package for me to sign for - a $600+ card I just won on eBay. As I was signing the signature card, this carrier casually mentioned that he had signed a shipment for me recently and left it in my mailbox so as to save me a trip to the Post Office to pick it up. It immediately entered my mind that this is totally inappropriate, and probably illegal as well. What to do/say? I made the instantaneous decision to smile and thank him for his thoughtfulness, as opposed to expressing my displeasure. As soon as he left, I remembered the package containing a similarly pricey bb card that I found in my mailbox a week or two ago; and I remembered being surprised at that time that I hadn't been required to sign for it; but, it didn't dawn on me that my mail carrier had signed for me - rather, I assumed the shipper didn't take the necessary action to require a signature upon delivery. Upon further reflection, I've decided I'm ok with my carrier doing this, despite the extra risk involved - but, I would feel differently if I didn't have a good relationship with this carrier.
Val
Old 07-12-2014, 09:55 PM
Daryl

I haven't decided if I'm going to make a fuss yet. If I lived in Mayberry like you guys I'd just go ahead and give the mailman a key to the house.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

One of the unintended consequences when I moved three years ago was I lost my trusted mailman. I lived in a condo complex and the mailman was great (esp. since I had 50 stairs to get to my door!). I told him that he could sign for stuff and leave it in the locked mailbox and he told me "not allowed" but what he would do was to keep it in the locked box at our mail area and I could just sign the card he left and he would unlock it and put it in my locked box the next day...that way, the shipper had my signature and I did not have to run to the post office. He always checked to see if I was home too...big tip at the holidays...

Move to new house and we have a community mailboxes at the end of my street. Small boxes which my mailman still insists on shoving everything into. I have talked to him about that and he never comes down the street (literally, I am three houses from the corner where the boxes are) to check to see if I am home (my wife works weekends so there is someone home 4 out of the 6 days of mail service!! but he never checks)...I complained about a month ago, I could not open my box because he crammed a box of cards in there and it blocked the key from rotating the latch. Postal engineer had to come out (who knew there was such a thing!).

Last week, I saw a new postal carrier when he came to my house...I asked if the old one was on vacation and the new one said he was reassigned. I am hoping to have a nice relationship with the new carrier.

BTW, the UPS guy at my condo is the same and when we moved, the first time I saw him at the new house, he was surprised and we chatted. He has been great also and has been my UPS guy for nearly a decade now. If I am not home, he puts stuff on my table behind my gate.

Joshua