NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Brad W.

Default Cap Anson / Fred Pfeffer photo controversy HELP!

Hello all, as some of you know, I'm a Cap Anson fan and run the website www.capanson.com.

I saw that in 2014 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions, UD once again used this image on a Cap Anson card:

They've done so in the past as well:

Panini has also created cards with the image:

The original image comes from the Otis Bettmann Archive, which is now managed by Corbis Images.

http://www.corbisimages.com/Search#p=1&q=cap+anson

The Bettmann Archive is a compilation of Dr. Otto Bettmann’s life’s collection and the United Press International Photo Archive — more than 11 million photographs from the 19th and 20th centuries. One of the most significant historical collections of images in the world, this international treasure is housed in the state-of-the-art Film Preservation Facility (FPF) in Pennsylvania.

Here's the thing though, I (and other Anson experts), don't think it's Anson. We believe it's a Chicago teammate of Anson, second baseman Fred Pfeffer. The Corbis/Bettmann image just doesn't look like Anson, and the chin, eyes and eyebrows, nose and ears all seem a much better match to Pfeffer.

The experts I'm referring to are Anson biographers David Fleitz and Howard Rosenberg. Fleitz had his book publisher change the photo after receiving the first edition using the photo in question (first and second edition shown below).

If you compare the image in question to the 1887 Old Judge Cabinet of Pfeffer below, it's a very good match.

Even his 1895 Mayo's matches better than Anson.

Here's a side by side of Anson and Pfeffer for reference (Middle)

My goal is to get UD and Panini to stop using this photo for Anson cards, and to get the photo properly identified in Corbis. I am looking for any help that the board could provide, including other hi-res images of Pfeffer, or knowledge of the original source of the Corbis/Bettmann image.

This photo has been cited as Anson in books I have seen as far back as 1979, so convincing Corbis is a challenge. Any supporting evidence would really help. I've reached out to the baseball HOF and Mark Rucker for assistance, any other experts someone might know I would appreciate their contact info.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by gracecollector; 07-10-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Barry Sloate

It's clearly not Anson and does look like Pfeffer. We have other photo experts on the board who will surely chime in.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Zach

Looks like a dead ringer for Pfeffer in my opinion. The cheekbones, eyes, chin... everything looks the same.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

I'm with Barry. It's Pfeffer, not Anson.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Brad W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
Looks like a dead ringer for Pfeffer in my opinion. The cheekbones, eyes, chin... everything looks the same.

I am of the same opinion. The eyebrows and "notch" on the top of the ear can be added to the list.

Hoping some hard proof surfaces, or at least more Pfeffer images. I do have his Old Judge pose too.

Anyone know why Pfeffer's nickname was "Dandelion?"
Old 07-10-2014, 03:45 PM
N.ate A.dams

I don't know, but that's a heck of a moustache.

Edited to add that it definitely looks like Pfeffer. "I don't know" just sounds a lot better...

Last edited by npa589; 07-10-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:17 PM

Default Pfeffer

Its been known for a long time that its Pfeffer
Old 07-10-2014, 09:25 PM
Brad W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buchner View Post
Its been known for a long time that its Pfeffer
Not by the right people, apparently. I'm trying to fix that. If it has been known for a long time, as you state, is there further evidence than what I have shown?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:58 PM

Default Pfeffer

I agree with you 100%, its just that if your familiar with Anson and Pfeffer, its easy to tell them apart.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Mark

It's Pfeffer - good ear match among other things. Ear mis-match eliminates Anson with certainty.

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 07-10-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:27 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Tags
cap anson, fred pfeffer