NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: brock

Just bought this baseball signed by the 1925 or 1926 Newark Bears. You dont see many of these around. Has acouple of ex major leaguers on it(George Burns,Wes Kingdon,Joe Brown,John Schulte). I'll know more once i recieve the ball in acouple of days.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Old 11-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: Dan Bretta

That's a great looking baseball Brock. Congrats! The minor league stuff is so much more interesting to me than the major league stuff.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: Joe Hunter

1965 Chicago Bears Autographed football w/35 sigs

Picked this up at antique show this weekend. It has 35 sigs including Butkus, Sayers, Ditka, Atkins. Unfortunately, no Hallas or Piccalo. Still a nice item.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Why is there a Tom Sharkey sig on the baseball?

Great baseball, one of the "freshest" looking balls I have seen in a long time.
-Rhett

Old 12-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Perhaps Tom Sharkey was a coach with Newark? I have a 1930's Clinton Owls baseball with Josh Clarke on it...that one's a headschratcher to me.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: Brock G.

New addition to the bat rack.

[linked image]

Old 12-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Nice bat Brock...sorta looks like the one in this photo -

Photobucket

Old 12-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: Matt Hart

I picked this one up recently. It's the first Pennant Decal bat that I've encountered.
Matt

[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 12-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: Mark

Matt...

That's a gorgeous Bat! I have never seen a Pennant Decal Bat either (until now). How lucky, to find one in such great shape, and with such a complete decal.

That is, in fact, the first time I've ever seen the Pennant logo in color (on anything... glove, bat, or otherwise). Great acquisition!

Old 12-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Sweet bat. I used to own a baseball box that had that Pennant brand logo on it.

Top row in the case you can see the Pennant box.

Vintage Baseballs

Old 12-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Dan,
Nice collection of baseballs/boxes!
Matt

Old 12-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-

I picked these up quite cheaply at a local antique auction last weekend. I was surprised I got them at the price I did considering the method of auction for this lot was "choice" which means that the seller allows the highest bidder to choose the photos they want. Then, the lot is auctioned again with the highest bidder choosing which photos they want, etc. In all, I picked up six photos including a hockey and a baseball team and one baseball and one football individual (the individual football photo is signed by the player).

The S stands for Stone School, and most of the photographers are in the Boston area. My limited googling has discovered a pleothra of Stone schools, but I believe it may be one on Beacon street (long since closed) that was a prep school (that sent some players to Harvard). The football photo is dated 1905 (and is quite large) while the baseball photo is smaller and is not dated but I believe it to be from circa 1910 based on other photos in the auction. If any one has any additional information concerning these I would greatly appreicate it!

Thanks in advance,

Alan Elefson

aelefson@hotmail.com
[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 12-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: Mike H

I'm veeery happy with the hammer price on this trophy. It's 24" and has a nice look to it.
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Old 12-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Awesome looking trophy Mike! And impressive size. Did that come off Ebay? If so I dont know how I missed it.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Auction ended tonight on ebay Brock.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130273378907&ssPa geName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=003

Old 12-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

You did do really well on this one Mike. I cant believe this trophy evaded my watch list. That seller has been selling some killer trophies lately. Congrats Mike.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Mike.
Great pick up on the trophy! Cant go wrong at that price. I would have figured a few hundred more on it.
Matt

Old 12-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: Anonymous

Nice, Mike.... That one really had your name on it.

There is a similar one (but not as ornate) with the same identical figural Batter currently in Mastro. This one (Lot 1057) is also dated 1939, and has already exceeded the price you paid. Congrats on an excellent pickup!

Also... I noticed that this same seller's D&M Trophy Cup failed to make reserve. That one was equally nice, and fell just short of $1,000. I wonder if the seller will re-list it on ebay, or perhaps consign it to a Catalogue Auction. Ebay is really a "buyers market" right now... a great time to acquire memorabilia!

Old 12-10-2008, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Thanks guys. I did expect it to go quite a bit higher and didn't expect my snipe to land it.

You are right on Mark. This is a buyers market.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Nice trophy Mike, Congrats

Old 12-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: Steve F

Now all I have to do is guestimate the date and figure which Mercy Hospital in America, this charity Base Ball game was held for... Besides the beer. (Each cop is holding a billy club)

[linked image]

Old 12-12-2008, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: Keith

Here are a few of my recent pickups. First, 3 new Eagles pennants. The 1944 pennnant was one I'd been hunting for, for a while, and actually I had put it on my want list thread that we did on this board a while ago. This one is in rough condition, but beggars can't be choosers. Perhaps I'll upgrade it in the future, but for now I am thrilled with it. The second one is a late 50s or 60s Eagles pennant that I have never seen before, but it also in rough shape missing its point. Lastly, I have seen this 50s flying Eagles version before, but finally acquired one.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

I also picked up this framed silk quilt, and a Quilt made up of 1914 B18 Blankets. The b18s are fairly faded.
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

And lastly, I picked up this 1894 Michigan Agricultural College (later Michigan STate U) framed photo. The photo has some measurements and notatiosn on it, and I'm guessing this photo was used for some sort of yearbook photo? I love the look of the period rococo? frame. I also picked up this small 19th century Harvard football piece.
[linked image]

Sorry if I took up too much space with this post.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: Clint

I picked these up this past week. The first is a triple fold postcard of the 1910 Wichita Jobbers minor league team. Thanks to Mike Lamone for selling it to me. The next one is a postcard from Blue Rapids, Kansas showing the automobiles parked in the outfield of the game between the White Sox and Giants during the 1914 World Tour. I obtained it through a trade with Dan Yaw.

I'd also like to thank Dan Bretta who helped tremendously with both of these deals.

Clint
[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 12-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Congrats Clint!!! Outstanding pickups!

Old 12-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: andy

Here's a new one as of today...
Photobucket

Old 12-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: Vincent

It was too nice a ball to pass on, at the price offered.
Not my best specimen but still a nice, fairly clean ball
with reasonably strong signatures. Presence of Greenberg's
signature always a plus. Tough Hack Miller on this panel too.

[linked image]

Old 12-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

Here's a Greenberg ball Hunt had at the 08' National last summer
[linked image]

Old 12-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

I picked this one up from a local auction. Awesome ball!
[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 12-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

WHOA! Nice baseball Matt....did you get it cheap?

Old 12-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Mat, That's a very nice ball...what's the details? how old? what's something like that sell for? It would be nice to see some close ups of the box...looks 30's?...I'll have to keep my eyes open for balls like that, but something like that has to be very rare, being gem mint in the box and all.

Dan Bretta...how long did it take you to put that collection together? it's fantastic. I don't see one with the D&M dog like Mat's...Do these new balls in the box come up once in a while? Apparently they do. As a general rule I've only paid attention to lemon peel's.
[linked image]

Old 12-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

You don't see the multicolor stitched D&M balls very often (they are from the 1930s)...especially in MINTY condition like Matt's. In fact I think I've only seen one other that nice and it came with a store display...IIRC Corey Leibe (Spelling?) had it for $3,000. I'd guess just the baseball with the box is somewhere in the $800+ neighborhood.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Hi Carlton,
The ball is probably from the 20's if I had to guess. Corey had an identical ball and advertising sign on his website and he dated it to 1910-20's, so it may be a little earlier. Box is good condition considering it's age... Unforunately, the auction house put a sticky label on the one panel and a little bit of paper did peel off. Value is tough without a lot of comparable examples. It certainly seems rarer than the other makers that you see.
Here's some close ups.
Thanks
Matt

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
Corey's Sign and Baseball

Old 12-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Dan.. We were typing at the same time on last post... The ball was reasonable. Thanks for the info on value.

Also, picked up this white leather glove on ebay with a BIN. I've always liked the white ones and this one is pretty nice. I was glad to get it.

Matt
[linked image] [linked image]

Old 12-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Another trophy. This a 12 incher.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 12-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

You're really on a roll with these trophies Mike. Love the Deco style base. Where are you displaying these big trophies?

BTW, the RedSox ashtray arrived today safe and sound. What a relief!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Mike, nice pick up on the trophy...looks good...goes good with the one you got at the National...below a shot I took of you holding it....everbody, the famous MikeH!
[linked image]

Old 12-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Posted By: Ben

Carlton,

That's a nice display! I am very interested in the blue and white hat you have. Do you know when it's from? Is it from a specific team? I ask because I play on the New York Gothams in a vintage baseball league and that hat looks identical to the ones we wear (see below). Thanks in advance!

[linked image]

Old 12-18-2008, 03:11 AM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

The trophies are spread around my office Brock. I really need to fire up the workshop and build a nice display case for one corner of my office. I'll post a pic this weekend of the current display.

Carlton, this is the first batter trophy I've owned, so the two recent pick-ups are filling a hole in my collection. Now I need a catcher.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Default December Pickups

Ben, My pill box cap is maroon color, a little faded...yeah it sure does look like the ones you wear. I got that at the 1989 National from Josh Evans almost 20 years ago...I think I paid $300.00 back then. I recall Josh said he got it from someone in Boston..and I seem to recall he said he'd been after it a while. Boy I remember, it really made my National!! I was so happy to get it, I actually went to the National praying I'd find a pill box, and boy did God answer that one...I think it's a classic example. You can see more photos of it on my baseball page. http://www.sportsantiques.com/baseball.htm ...Then at the 2007 I got what John Gennantonio calls a boater style cap, that I've seen in team photos. I figured they were so rare I had never even thought of getting one, so I was surprised to see one for sale in Darla Bernhardt's booth..it has a victorian monogram of the letters LMAC, which obviously stands for some athletic club. You can read about the capture on this page: http://www.sportsantiques.com/07natstory4.htm
[linked image]
[linked image]