NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Rob Miller

Default O/T: RIP Bobby Bragan

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
Old 01-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Barry Sloate

I'm thinking Bobby Bragan was featured in the 1952 Topps set, but I can't recall any others.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Rob Miller

I could be wrong, but I don't think he was in the 1952 set. The only cards I have or seen of his are manager cards from the 60's.

Last edited by Robextend; 01-22-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Bobby Binder

47 Tip Top
Old 01-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Barry Sloate

I guess that is why I couldn't picture any.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Banned

Deepest condolences to his family.

Maybe someone can post information about calling hours when it becomes available.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

My prayers go out to his family.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a fellow Texan

As a fellow Texan in the city to our west, my condolences to Bobby's family and friends. I can't imagine doing much at over 80 yrs young, let alone managing a team (albeit even for a day)....regards
Old 01-22-2010, 06:32 PM

RIP Bragan - He did a lot of great work with his foundation as well.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:21 AM

One of my most favorite items in my collection is a letter written on Hollywood Stars letterhead dated Novemeber 5th, 1955 from Bobby Bragan to Dale Long.

"Dear Dale and Dorothy;

Your thoughfulness in these exciting times for the Bragans was greatly appreciated.
I am certainly glad to have been named the manager of a team that has a fellow named Long as its first baseman.
Looking forward to seeing you in the spring and I am sure you will have another good year. I heard some very nice things about you in Pittsburgh but of course it was what I expected.
Again,thank you so much for remembering me on this memorable occasion.

Always your friend,

Bobby Bragan

RIP Bobby and Dale
Old 01-24-2010, 11:10 AM

Default Funeral Service

The funeral service will be at 11:00 am Wednesday at the First United Methodist Church 800 W. Fifth Fort Worth, TX

One of our board members(not a regular poster) was a friend of Bobby's and one of the coordinators of his annual Youth Foundation Banquet. Hopefully this event will be continued in his memory.

Scott
Old 01-25-2010, 10:15 AM

Default Bobby Bragan Youth Foundation

This will be my first post after years of lurking on this terrific forum. I am inspired to try to wade through the tech (not that bad, so far) by Scott's post and by Bobby Bragan.

If you are turned off by the likes of Mark McGwire, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, etc, you needed to know Bobby Bragan. He was everything we wanted our sport standouts to be and more.

Bobby had that phenomenal recall; he could tell you details of game situations from the early 40's. He knew Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker, George Sisler, Rogers Hornsby and every baseball name since and had stories on every one of them. His mentor was Branch Rickey. He was a protege of Leo Durocher. He was mentor to Maury Wills. He managed Roberto Clemente, hank aaron, Warren Spahn and Eddie Mathews and a jillion more. Treat yourself to a great read with "You Can't Hit the Ball with the Bat on Your Shoulder", Bobby's memoir.

Bobby treated absolutely everyone with equal respect, from the CEO to the busboy. Two of his dearest friends were two nuns (Sister Francis and Sister Maggie) that had been fans and friends since the 40's. (Bobby was a devout Methodist, who's greatest thrill in life was meeting Billy Graham.) Bobby loved introducing people and he would introduce you to a Pee Wee Reese, a Johnny Bench or a Hank Aaron like YOU were the celebrity, the person of great achievment.

The trait that stands out more than anything with Bobby is GIVING. It is more blessed to give than receive and Bobby was surely the most blessed man on the planet. He never went anywhere without a supply of pens, baseball cards and other items to give to whomever he met or saw that day. He would give framed pictures constantly. I've long since ran out of room on my walls. He did it purely because he loved people.

That trait is eveident in the Bobby Bragan Youth Foundation. This was started from a benefit golf tournament in 1992 (actually started with a net deficit). We award college scholarships to public school eighth graders. We have now awarded over $1,275,000 to over 500 eighth graders, with 36 more on line for this April. The vision is that not only does this award inspire the winners to stay on the straight and narrow and continue to achieve through high school, but the same message gets delivered to our approximately 200 annual finalists. And, all of them can serve as role models for their peers. All of this inspired by the generosity of this man. Check out the website at www.bobbybragan.org. It's worth it to see Bobby recite "Casey at the Bat".

Everyone loves Bobby. Testament to that is the list of "lifetime achievment award winners that have appeared at our fund-raising Gala each year. Joe DiMaggio, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Rachel Robinson, Byron Nelson, Tom Landry, Roger Staubach, Bobby Richardson, Merlyn Mantle, Brooks Robinson, Lou Brock, Dr. Bobby Brown are just a partial list. The common denominator - they all knew Bobby and couldn't say no. Or, if they did, Bobby would call them until they said yes!

Bobby was blessed; he was absolutely as sharp as a tack until the day he very suddenly passed at 92 years, three months. He was still driving, still playing the piano, still singing, still telling stories, still making friends and still giving. We were all blessed to have known him.