NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Default VCP and auction houses

I just saw on the VCP forums that 3 auctions houses (Memory Lane, Goodwin and Mile High) are no longer providing their data to VCP.

I am not sure what to make of this but as a buyer I dont like it. It rings to me like either some of the things Jeff is always saying about unreal prices is having an effect and they want no part of that or they just cant stand showing downward price trends.

One of the posters over their mentioned some Red Man in a recent auction selling at all time lows and he felt they were pulling them because of these kind of instances.

I can understand wanting your prices recorded when cards are bringing all time highs just bothers me when they get pulled for lows (With this economy we have, it was bound to happen). For some reason this made me think about Beckett years ago when the market tanked and they did not show the prices going down.

How does everyone else see this? Good bad indifferent?

Last edited by smtjoy; 04-08-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 PM
qualitycards

Areb't the final selling prices public information?
Does Bobby even need their permission?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 PM

Default Excuse my ignorance...

but can't VCP gather the info for themselves and post their findings on their website? I understand that it will entail more work for them but they do charge a fee for their services.

I wish I had someone doing my legwork for me, free of charge, but unfortunately, life rarely works that way.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
but can't VCP gather the info for themselves and post their findings on their website? I understand that it will entail more work for them but they do charge a fee for their services.

I wish I had someone doing my legwork for me, free of charge, but unfortunately, life rarely works that way.
Bingo...my thoughts too.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Jim VB

Doesn't seem to matter what they do tonight. They are always logged on for me, but tonight, they signed me out and won't allow me to log back in.

Last edited by Jim VB; 04-08-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Pup6913

There are alot of cards that never make it to VCP. Pricing has to be half you and half them to stay on top of what it really is. Cards that I know for a fact that have sold many times show 08 and 07 as last dates sold. They are auctions and auction houses selling not private and store sales.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
There are alot of cards that never make it to VCP. Pricing has to be half you and half them to stay on top of what it really is.
If that's the case, why in the hell would anyone pay for their services?!

If paying customers are expected to report all/any of their buys and sells, seems to me that there should only be a nominal fee, if any fee at all.

I don't buy into that argument at all. For example, let's say that there are three auctions a month from the top dozen auction houses with 60-70% of the lots being slabbed cards. I would think that there are plenty of students looking for a part time gig where they could do all of the work at home or in their dorm room. Not that big of deal for them to harvest all of the needed info pertaining to the card sales. Also, I would think that some young go-getter could write some software that could do the bulk of the work.

On the other hand, many auction houses are usually running on a skeleton crew as it is, and to expect them to dedicate X amount of man hours to provide VCP is certainly not reasonable in my opinion.

I want to be clear that I am not saying that this is what VCP is asking from the auction houses in any way, shape, or form, as I have no idea. I'm simply responding to the comments made in this thread.

Sincerely, Jimmy
Old 04-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default for what it's worth

There has to be code exchanged on both sides of the equation for VCP to scrape data from any place.
It would probably be extremely time consuming to do it manually.

Last edited by Leon; 04-08-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:43 AM
Bobby Binder

Just to let you know we have been adding there sales data to the site and yes it is very time consuming and a major pain. What you do not get is the email alerts for any items that may be on your want list. I think it is a dumb move on there parts. There explanation to me was that buyers where comparing the lower priced sales from eBay and not paying as much as before. So by not having them in our site does that mean that the people still won't check out prices before placing a bid? And how many potential bidders are they missing out on from our more then 2000 Want Lists created by our members.

Yes there are a lot of private sales but we will not include non verifiable data on the site. We are not going to base values on he said she said.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Bobby Binder

[QUOTE
I want to be clear that I am not saying that this is what VCP is asking from the auction houses in any way, shape, or form, as I have no idea. I'm simply responding to the comments made in this thread.

Sincerely, Jimmy[/QUOTE]

This is a very simple xml feed that is provided by the auction houses software company and takes just a few minutes and is at no additional costs to them.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:12 AM
Clayton

What sounds strange to me is that 3 auction houses decided to do this at the same time
Nothing like having buyers pay waaay over current market price for an item,right?
Old 04-09-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyVCP View Post
[QUOTE

Sincerely, Jimmy
This is a very simple xml feed that is provided by the auction houses software company and takes just a few minutes and is at no additional costs to them.[/QUOTE]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course, that makes perfect sense to me now Bobby. Thanks for clearing that part of it up for me as I obviously have no idea about website technology, as well as many other things...

Do all of the other Auction houses participate with you?

Also, how in the world do you gather all of the sales info from ebay? Does ebay give you an xml feed as well?

Anyway, I'm going back to the memorabilia side were I belong...

My best, Jimmy
Old 04-09-2010, 01:41 AM
Bobby Binder

We have an eBay license and they provide us with API system. We cover most of the auction houses as well as Grandslam once they launch later this month, hopefully.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:02 AM

If they will not provide sales data to VCP, I will not place any bid in their auctions. Simple as that. They are just trying to hide market realities from buyers and I won't stand for it.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 04-09-2010, 05:52 AM
Tim

Quote:
There explanation to me was that buyers where comparing the lower priced sales from eBay and not paying as much as before.
Not submitting their prices doesn't stop me in anyway from getting the same Ebay information. So this explanation doesn't hold water or was poorly thought out.

"It's the economy stupid!"

Last edited by Abravefan11; 04-09-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

I took their prices with a grain of salt anyhow, so it doesn't bother me.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:24 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I use VCP for more than just prices-it's very useful for checklists and to reference color scans of obscure cards. The three houses pulling out is indicative of a lot of things on the web these days-proprietary information that was once shared freely (or at least easily) no longer is. This is true all over now from what I am seeing, not just in the hobby.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtjoy View Post
I just saw on the VCP forums that 3 auctions houses (Memory Lane, Goodwin and Mile High) are no longer providing their data to VCP.
I hate to be Captain Obvious, but did anyone notice the three auction houses which have decided not to make their prices available to VCP? What do they have in common? And why aren't REA, H & S and Heritage in this list?

Suffice it to say that it will be much tougher for me to show the board a sale of a card in an auction that "sold" for 47K in May in a Goodwin/Memory Lane/Mile High auction and then sold for 6K in September in an REA/H & S/Heritage auction. And that's exactly how the first group wants it.

Last edited by calvindog; 04-09-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:57 AM
Matt Wieder

Thanks Jeff - this just confirms we need to add you to the list of those who are ruining the hobby.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

Captain Hubris.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Thanks Jeff - this just confirms we need to add you to the list of those who are ruining the hobby.
And, therefore, humanity as well.

Perhaps Mike O'Keeffe will write a book about me?

Last edited by calvindog; 04-09-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Captain Big Puss

Last edited by calvindog; 04-09-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Daryl

With some good software development (parsing auction results web pages, e.g. Google) you could scrape the data that way couldn't you? Would there be any legal problems in doing this?
Old 04-09-2010, 01:27 PM
John Wondowski

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but there is a fee associated with having your auction house results included in VCP. These auction companies PAY for the right to have their results published, i.e. it is a business expense. If the auction house decides it is not a good business decision to participate, why hold it against them?
Old 04-09-2010, 03:21 PM

I thought Heritage never included it's prices on VCP.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Bobby Binder

We charge the auction houses no fee to be included. For them or any auction house to have their results posted should cost basically nothing except a few minutes for a person to program an xml feed.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Banned

Auction houses do all that work to realize sometimes-record prices selling ball cards, and they don't want to publicize and have a record of their accomplishments for collectors to see?

Golly, that doesn't seem to make sense.

Last edited by Rob D.; 04-09-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

As previously noted, the stated rationale makes absolutely no sense. It seems clear the motive is to avoid comparison of their sales prices with other sales prices.

But that confuses me, because I thought each auction WANTS to show high sales prices to attract consignors?

Old 04-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
We charge the auction houses no fee to be included. For them or any auction house to have their results posted should cost basically nothing except a few minutes for a person to program an xml feed.
Bobby, don't kid yourself. A light shining on their prices costs those auction houses plenty. After all, those PSA 8 1915 Crackerjacks and PSA 8 Goudey Ruths are selling for pennies on the dollar on ebay and really drag down auction house prices.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Barry Sloate

Rob- like your Crazy Joe Davola avatar.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Rob- like your Crazy Joe Davola avatar.
Thanks. It seems appropriate, especially recently.

Last edited by Rob D.; 04-09-2010 at 05:49 PM.