NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Default If you have some time, I would like your opinion...

Posted By: Cat

I am about ready to call quits to my collecting days. I made a decision last year that I would collect until the National and then move on. I may go cold turkey or just ease out of it. I still enjoy it but it takes a lot of time and it seems like most if not all of my disposable income goes to cards. Anyway, here's what I need some help on: My collection is shown below in a photbucket formatted site. Who is the best player of someone that I DO NOT have a card of, who is presently in the HOF? I have a card (mostly rookie cards) of every player selected to the HOF by the sports writers (actually recently noticed that Robin Roberts is not uploaded onto the site even though I have one). I have a card of ever player on the Sporting News list of 100 best players (except Cool Papa Bell).

I do intend to get a Kid Nichols and an Ed Delahanty, but what other player's absence creates a huge hole in my collection (must be in the HOF)? I am looking to add 2 or maybe 3 cards of players I am presently missing.

Thanks!

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/Cosbro/Collection/?

Old 06-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Please don't go cold turkey before June 28!

Old 06-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Barry:

Don't worry, I have opening bids on many of your cards and intend to bid STRONG.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Cat - you need a Gehrig exhibit rookie.

As for leaving, that means I get to win some things for 4-5 increments less. But you will be back. They always come back.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Administrator

That's the spirit!

Old 06-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Cat:

I would definitely try to pick up a Martin Dihigo card from the mid-late 1940's Winter League sets.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

Cat,

All I can say is, I hope I win the lottery before you decide to sell your collection. You have both big name players and some rare cards too, just what my small collection needs.

David

Old 06-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

Are you going to hold onto your collection and just stop buying new cards or are you planning on selling off the whole thing? I'd just try and stop buying for a while and give some time before i even decided whether or not to sell off all your cards, might regret that one at some point, atleast most people that have, do.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator

I am definately holding the collection...just adding a few last pieces.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Hope you stay in the hobby as it's a great place and you're a good guy. In your first post you said you are going to call it quits and then you just said you will be holding the collection. I sincerely hope you stay in but am a little confused as to what's up....I totally understand about spending too much. I am the poster child for that. I think anyone that has collected seriously for a while, as you have, should take some time off before deciding to sell everything. As Dylan said, many that do regret it down the line....but I certainly understand. I feel burnt out sometimes too....best regards....and hope to see you at the Net54 National Dinner....

Old 06-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Downsize further.
For example: only Cobb, Ruth and Anson. The best of each you can get.
Slabbed. You will not be out. You will simply have moved on to whatever is next. A collector will collect. And you will have your mementos of this time, just not the actual cards which you initially assembled, but their product. You will have some regrets:

Regrets, Ive had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;
Each careful step along the byway,
But more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, Im sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall;
And did it my way.

But most of all you will still have us, as Julie does, and so many others. Please visit your friends. And be well.

Edited to add:
Gee, when I reread this, it sounds like I'm showing you the door; with a boot at the ready. Certainly, that is not my intent Cat. It is simply that I have been mulling this subject as well, and the above reflects my current thinking. Of course I'd prefer if you stay because each contributor enhances my enjoyment and understanding of what is here; in addition to the comeraderie which is incorporated. There will clearly be an ebbing in the force should you leave, but as I inferred ... you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Leon:

I am calling it quits as far as adding to the collection. I just want to add that last player or two or three if indeed I have a glaring ommission.

I set out to estabish a certain collection and to an extent it is a never ending process. It seems like I can always add players. I can always upgrade, etc. etc. I have gotten to the point that I am comfortable with the collection. I actually hope that I keep it long enough to hand it off to my son or his kid(s). There are a couple pieces that I may sell but only because I have numerous cards of an individual player (I just sold off one Jackson card and one Wagner card because I had four cards of each of those guys). For the most part, I intend to keep the collection as you see it now.

I would be sad if I was selling it off, but I am not. In fact, I will likely spend more time enjoying the cards rather than scanning EBay, flipping through auction catalogs and sites, lurking in B/S/T, and cutting deals with other collectors. This hobby can be very time consuming and admittedly very enjoyable, but I want/need to refocus on business and other things.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

When I get to this level, I'm done too.

Amazing stuff. Your heirs will always remember you. Good luck swith your next hobby.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Cat- I for one actually admire your approach, and it is rare to hear a devoted collector say, " I have enough and I think I am going to stop." Most collectors just are unable to do this as it does become too much of an obsession.

You already have a very fine collection and you can always fine tune it, or add or subtract a piece. But if you are no longer committed to thinking about it every waking moment, and find the constant cash outlay a burden, then you are doing the right thing.

I took the same approach as you. In my collecting heydey all I could think about was what to buy next, and I had a great collection but always felt broke. I finally reached a point where the whole process burned me out. I still saved a few favorites, and one or twice a year I may treat myself to something, but for the most part that passion isn't there anymore.

Sit back and enjoy what you have. It's already a great accomplishment.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

take part of your least favorites and move them smartly. Save a little, take a vacation, buy a pool. Find some sorta relaxation to take your mind off of the fix. Now if you have done all of the things I have mentioned....uh,take up hang- gliding. You have too many nice items to move and I wouldnt want you to regret any decision. The total move would make you feel empty.

You will know what to do.

Good luck !

Old 06-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

Be careful about the idea of leaving the cards to the kids, they might not WANT them. I don't have any kids and probably never will, however, I do have a 15 year-old Nephew I am helping to raise and he doesn't like baseball or collect cards. I have tried to teach him some things but he has no interest. If something were to happen to me, I am afraid he hasn't paid enough attention to me concerning my cards and which ones are valuable and which ones aren't.

He would have NO clue what some of them are because I haven't had them graded or even labled them (make note to self, maybe that is an idea for a rainy weekend). At best, he would sell them on eBay and then take the money and go to a Strip Joint (hopefully not).

At least get an idea and see if your children are interested in your collection. The old time collector I once knew (he owns/ed a T206 Wagner) tried to teach his Sons about his cards but was iffy about whether they would keep his collection after he was gone. He thought one Son might but I always hoped I would win the lottery because I think his Son's would want the money instead of the cards.

David

Old 06-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Cat -

From reading your postings over the last few years & seeing your site, you have a tremendous collection. You are right - this hobby can be extremely time consuming. But, the bottom line is that if you don't have the passion anymore, then it just won't be fun. You really have to do what makes you happy.

If you're going to the National, I look forward to meeting you.

Alan

Old 06-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Delahanty and Nichols are great choices. I think Clarkson would also be a great choice. But if I had to pick just one more person for your collection, I'd go with Branch Rickey. He was so important to the game that he should be represented. I know he was a manager/executive, which is probably two strikes against him. But that would be my pick. In a similar vein, you might want one of the cards from the 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson set.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

is Frank Chance. I would think his effect on the game at so many levels and for such an enduring period would garner him a card in your absolutely terrfic collection.

Daniel

Old 06-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

Cat -

It appears that you've made it to where I hope to be some day - where you can enjoy the cards you have instead of stressing over the ones you don't have. Congratulations.

Ken

Old 06-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Cat,
I appreciate the depth and wisdom involved in your decision-making process.
When you say that you will likely just spend more time enjoying your collection, you have said what needs to be said. There is a certain equanimity and balance in this decision which makes me know that you are
a true collector in the finest sense of the term. Whether you acquire another card or not is no longer the key; what matters now is that you are truly ready to enjoy them in all the breadth,depth,meaning,and emotion that
they and you contain. Congratulations, Cat on having a very,very fine
collection. And being an equally fine collector.

all the best,
Barry

Old 06-24-2007, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Cat, truly great collection. The discipline to collect the way you do - by being able to control yourself on each subject you collect is impressive. Looking at your collection, one gets hit with a 'wow' over and over again. I also don't know how you can reach the point of saturation on your collection; I wish I could. As for the hope to leave your collection to your kid(s), I have the same hope for my boys. When I think that I received no such thing from my own father - and what it would have meant to me - I smile. I think I'm going to give my kids an approximate cut-off age of about 16 to show some interest in the cards (they're not yet 3 now). If they love them like I did at that age, the cards are theirs. If not, I'll buy a house instead.

So what will you collect now?

Old 06-24-2007, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

Cat--indeed a fantastic collection, beautiful cards!!

Maybe I missed him, but one HOFer of significance that I didn't see...Chief Bender??

Old 06-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Jeff:

I don't think I will collect anything. I want to take the time I used to use collecting and refocus it to work (I only get paid when I have billable hours), working-out, and increase the time I spend with my son (and the rest of my family). Collecting has allowed me to become a bit of a couch potato (although I stare at my computer from an office chair and not the couch). I want to change that.

It feels like my focus strays at times. On a few occasions I have thought about attempting to collect a set. I have had to stop and remind myself about my collecting format. But at this point it is a matter of discipline to say: "I'm finished." At least, I am finished as of the close of The National (I do have one card I am taking a shot at which will be at the National....a card you and I have discussed ), but if I don't get it, I'll be OK with that.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Administrator

I like the ideas so far.

I really like the Dihigo idea, since I do think my collection is under-represented as far as Negro Leaguers. I have thought long and hard about a Biz Mackey card too (but probably won't get one).

Clarkson is a good call too.

Rickey? I understand he meant so much to the game, but I have REALLY tried to focus on player accomplishments...not to take anything away from the executives (I know, I know...I have a Connie Mack card, so what gives?)

I have thought about Chance (maybe a T205 since I only have one in my collection and am considering selling that one off since I already have a T204 of the same player), although again I want to stay with player accomplishments mostly, but I may bend the rules on this one.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

cat- it was a pleasure speaking with you last week...you are very knowledgable & passionate about the hobby and your amazing collection. i have a hard time however, believing you are "done". each time you post within this thread, you seem excited and enthusiastic about adding a few more pieces (sloate's auction, the national, the "last" few HOFers, etc)...you even mentioned maybe chasing a "set"...you are one of us, you have this addiction, this disease (collecting), and it is without a cure...IF you do find the cure let us know, as you will be one of the few to have made a miraculous full recovery.

in all seriousness, i wish you the best, in whatever you decide to do. keep us updated, will, ya?

Old 06-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Some random thoughts......

1947. Bond Bread issues of Jackie Robinson--perhaps the most historical "rookie cards" ever.
T202 Ty Cobb steals third Cobb/Jennings
1933 Goudey #144 Ruth
1934 Goudey #37 Gehrig
1952 Topps Mantle

Your collection is outstanding as is.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

1934 Goudey Greenburg
1926 Sports Co. of America Lazzeri
1936 Joe Dimaggio Premium

Significant NON-HOF players
Hal Chase
Smokey Joe Wood
Lefty O'Doul
Thurman Munson

Old 06-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I can see how the pursuit of cards can eat you up and burn you out, but if you have the collecting gene (or genetic weakness, as it may be), you will simply start collecting something else in life and repeat the behaviors you show with cards in that endeavor. Happens all the time.

My advice is take a time out from now to the National. Skip the ebay listings, don't open any catalogs, don't even come in here. Just take the next 5-6 weeks and decompress from collecting, then go to the National to have some fun and reload your enthusiasm. Just don't do anything rash like unloading the collection.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt Goebel

Delahanty is a must. Then I think the clear choice is Torriente. A true superstar and five tool player, Torriente would be the perfect choice. Plus, you have a much better shot at him than Mackey.

Matt

Old 06-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Cat,
Phenomenal collection! Unless I missed it, I think a Goudey Ruth only makes sense in your collection.
JimB

Old 06-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

cat- Time to move on to the next tier: complete sets. Just think of how much fun you will have collecting all of those commons
tbob