NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Default T218 question

Posted By: Jim

I have a T218 J.A. Ruddy card. Now SGC only lists the T218's up to what they number 1 to 62. The back of my card says that it is from series 2 #'s 51-100....

I'm confused. Why isnt the whole list of T218's considered to be part of the master list?

Old 03-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Default T218 question

Posted By: Anthony

There are 153 cards in the set- perhaps they've broken out the boxers from the non boxers (like Ruddy) into 2 sets.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Default T218 question

Posted By: boxingcardman

From “America’s Great Boxing Cards”:

The overall set contains 153 cards of various athletes and psuedo-athletes (among the latter category, my favorites are the champion pool players and bowlers; sorry, but anything I do better drunk isn’t a sport), including 61 boxers and one boxing referee.

The master set is huge by virtue of brand, factory and series designations. Mecca is the most common brand of T218. Hassan is slightly more difficult to find than Mecca, say on a 55:45 ratio. Burdick accurately reported three brands: Hassan, Mecca and Tolstoi. Over the years later publications “lost” Tolstoi, probably because the Tolstoi back is rare. The Mecca and the Hassan brand can be found with either factory 649 or factory 30. All Tolstoi cards carry a factory 30 designation. There is also a variation in the legend on the Mecca cards. The series situation further muddies the picture. The Hassan and Mecca cards carry either no series designation, or a designation of “series #2, 51 to 100”. Unfortunately for collectors, the same cards pop up in both series with both brands. Not even the Jack Johnson cards are series specific. Accordingly, for each card in the set there may be the following major back variations: Hassan and Hassan series II, Mecca and Mecca series II, Mecca “Series of Champions” logo, and Tolstoi, plus factory variations on the Hassan and Mecca cards. A master group could consist of 7 cards of the same fighter.

www.americasgreatboxingcards.com

Old 06-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Default T218 question

Posted By: James Feagin

I apologize for bumping an old thread, but other than top loaders, are there pages that fit such cards?

James

Old 06-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Default T218 question

Posted By: Jimmy

there are no holders or sleeves that hold T218 or similar cards to my knowledge, the set is gaining some interest and SGC will most likely charge the information - PSA has the set as 150+ or so - my not be listed on the website - I have help a few collectors get some cards for their sets - there are a few sets in the registry

Jimmy

Old 06-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Default T218 question

Posted By: S Gross

The SGC registry is just for the 62 boxers, they should have one for the complete 153 set, without a doubt.
It's a great set, because it's doable, and great graphics. I've done the boxers 2x (and sold 2x), and came close on rest. Maybe it's because I like bowling and pool (and it's fundimaental 'social' aspect), I think those cards are great. The fact that a guy using a two fingured hard rubber ball, on ricketty uneven lanes, with a pin boys setting up pin, and still holding a 210+ average, is unreal.

Anyway, sorry to disagree with the above, but your basic 9 pocket 8 1/2 x 11 plastic sleeve will hold these cards perfectly.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default T218 question

Posted By: James Feagin

It seems like one could complete this set reasonably in the $1500 range, which is quite enticing. Are you sure the nine pockets won't bend these cards? Additionally, what is the breakdown for this set as far as subjects?

James

Old 06-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Default T218 question

Posted By: jay wolt

"The SGC registry is just for the 62 boxers, they should have one for the complete 153 set, without a doubt"

I agree!
And would like to register my set
problem is SGC didn't designate all
the different poses. So the pops are skewed
as an action shot is included w/ the portrait shots.
Some they do list the multiple poses individually
others like the 2 examples below they don't.

Hopefully they can list all 153 different examples
and have a complete set instead of just the boxing
(or bowling, track, golf, aviation etc...) subsets.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Default T218 question

Posted By: S Gross

PSA registry lists all 153.
To the two questions above:
Yes, the set can be done for $1,500 (~10/card), in vg shape. Most you can get in the $5-10 range, a couple a bit more. The only ones that are gonna' cost you (i.e. 2-3x) are the two Jack Johnsons and the two Willie Hoppe's (the Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, Eddie Plank, etc. of billiards).

Yes, they fit perfectly into 9 pocket sheet. I did save one T218, good ol' Joseph Jordan, the roller skating champ (just makes me laugh, with all his metals pinned to his chest, a regular Saturday Night Fever pioneer). I lightened the scan to show the pocket better: