NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Default Vintage in San Francisco?

Posted By: T206Collector

Well... is there any?

Old 05-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Perry

SCSC Stevens Creek Sportscards in the San Jose/Santa Clara area carries lots of vintage baseball....mostly commons though....the store manager is knowledgeable and does try to buy the hard to find cards....he sells on ebay also

Old 05-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Also, there's Lefty's in Burlingame, selection and price is not as good as SCSC mentioned above.

Peter

Old 05-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Ditto that on Steven's Creek. Nice cards, great selection, in beautiful downtown San Jose.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hotshot888

Kevin is a great guy and very knowledgeable. SCSC is the only shop that I go in South Bay. I've been going to Pennisula Sportscards for years!

http://www.peninsulasportscards.com/index.php

Albert

Old 05-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

I agree with everybody about Stevens Creek Cards. Kevin is a nice guy and he manages to keep coming up with nice pre-war (and post-war) stuff at reasonable prices. I'm always surprised by the cards I walk out of there with ...

Old 05-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BcDaniels

"Ditto that on Steven's Creek. Nice cards, great selection, in beautiful downtown San Jose."

is not anywhere near downtown. It's 300 feet from Santa Clara

BcD

Old 05-24-2007, 01:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

maybe he meant it's near santana row, which some confuse as downtown san jose.

santana row is about 3.5 miles from downtown san jose, so it's not too far away.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BcDaniels

but they are like two different World's as you would well know if you live here.

BcD

Old 05-24-2007, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Dude, I lived off of San Carlos Ave. for four years. To me, that is downtown West Valley Mall is downtown....

Old 05-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Administrator

I think of SCSC on Stevens Creek as being on auto row in San Jose. It's Santana Row that doesn't fit in, although I like window shopping at Santana Row, I'm still not sure what to make of it.

Peter

Old 05-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B.C.Daniels

go to 11th street in downtown then go stand in front of Kevin's store on Stevens Creek and tell me which one is a third World country in comparison. I used to live downtown and had to move to avoid the birglaries and drunk drivers who cruised down one way streets the wrong way nightly waking up the neighborhood old folk and disturbing the burglars from breaking into the victorians. Not to mention all the half way houses and St.James park gangs. I can't imagine a card shop ever being there.

BcD

Old 05-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

You sound like a bunch of Newyorkers trying to figger out where to eat.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Naw, I'm trying to figure out if there are any other good Pre-War Vintage card stores in the Bay Area.

Peter

Old 05-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Perry

SCSC is in a very nice part of san jose/santa clara area....The Santana Row eating/shopping area, which is very closeby is so popular it is mind boggling...we go there every friday to see a movie, eat and walk around (my wife loves this)and is always jammed

give Kevin a call at SCSC 408-243-1120...he always is on the prowl for good vintage pre war....in fact, he just picked up some stuff..

Old 05-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...I just had a few hours to sightsee in San Fran today (flew in last night, fly back tomorrow), and you guys were holding out on me!

Right across the street from my hotel was this little gem:

Old 05-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

Kevin's store is one of the few left...and he still has a lot of good stock in his store especially if you're building raw sets. I believe his folks used to run the store a few blocks away across from Valley Fair back in the day. I used to also frequent King's BB cards in Berkeley for some vintage stuff.

Ricky Yo

Old 05-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

"Lefty O'Tools." Great hangout. Actually, I think that was one of the suggestions for the Bay Area gathering. The St. Francis is a great hotel also.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Ricky,

Unfortunately, King's BB closed down long ago.

Peter

Old 05-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Was that Dennis King? What a great guy...and the source of a few of my best cards.....One of the elder PCL collectors I believe and I think he had one of, if not "the", first brick and mortar card shop in existence.....I showed this HR Kiss yesterday, which I got from Dennis last year at the National. The T217 Daly is fairly high grade for the issue. I didn't have any cash, I had just met JC several years ago at the National, and JC gave/loaned me the cash to get this Daly from Dennis.....the other T217 here came from an original collection from Grass Valley CA......regards

edited for correction on when I got the HR Kisses

Old 05-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

King's. How funny. My first experience as a kid, circa. 1983, being told(essentially) that all my cards were crap, yet the same ones were being sold at exponentially higher prices. Still happens to this day (elsewhere).

Old 05-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Macrae

Dennis King's store is still open (sort of) BY APPOINTMENT ONLY... It is located at 2284 Fulton St (Phone 510-548-1062), right across the street from the UC campus, and two blocks from BART. His focus has shifted to Fillmore / Avalon rock posters from the 60's / 70's timeframe. Dennis has always been a fan of the San Francisco sound, and was a guitar instructor prior to opening his store in Berkeley in 1976 (The first 'baseball card' store in the Bay Area). He still has a selection of Sports Memorabilia, but you have to let him know SPECIFICALLY what you want. I've known Dennis for over 30 years and he was an important part of the explosion in popularity of baseball card collecting here in the Bay Area....... Two stores that haven't been mentioned yet are Dave's Dugout in Albany & Amazing Adventures in San Francisco (Sunset district). Both stores feature material beyond sports and have been serving Bay Area collectors for many years.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

Thanks for the update Mark. Glad to see he is still around. That shop had some amazing stuff and I spent several hours there the few times I visited.

Totally forgot about Dave's Dugout too.

To: Leon - wow I recall seeing a lot of PCL stuff at Dennis's store...but ofcourse back then I was into upgrading and trying to complete my early 70's Topps sets...and didn't really focus on the vintage stuff.

Ricky Yo

Old 05-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Administrator

This is Peter, remember that I bought that very nice 1933 Goudey Muddy Ruel and the '34 Diamond Star Sparky Adams from you at the San Jose Convention Center Baseball Show not too long ago. Great cards.

Post on this board more often, it seems like there are very few Bay Area hobbyists posting on this board. This board is heavily weighted towards East Coast collectors.

Have a good weekend.

Peter

Old 05-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B.C.Daniels

does Dennis still have the 58? Chevy with the giant trunk of collectibles he used to cruise around in? I went to that store in 76. he sold a ton of cards then from the 50's-70's raw.My brother lived close to the store as a student going to school there.

BcD

Old 05-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Macrae

Brian...That car was actually bigger than his first store (literally !) and the trunk would easily handle 75,000 cards (same size as my '63 I drove for years).. You might be able to squeeze a raw T-206 set into the trunk of your Bugeye (If you still had it) , but that might bring the top speed down to 30 mph .. I think if he still had it he could get $3000 / month as a studio apartment / duplex, especially at Bay Area rates...

Old 06-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Guys,

Feel free to join us for our first SF Dinner that will be held at the Bocce Cafe on June 30th in SF. For the details check the First SF Dinner thread.

I'd like to see a resurgence of pre-war vintage collecting in the Bay Area.

Peter