NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-12-2010, 11:31 AM
MJ

I will join the strike and not bid SCP auction
Old 06-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Jimmy

Default How to get ripped off by SCP Auctions & Sotheby's

I did not see this post, I cannot not believe they are the same image or are they? just another mess for collectors to turn there heads at this hobby - very sorry this had to happen

Jimmy
Old 06-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Chao lives!!

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Ryan Christoff

How dare this board speak ill of Dave Kohler and his ultra-ethical auction house, SCP Auctions?!!! How many times do I have to state that Dave Kohler is absolutely NOT a huge scumbag running a shady auction house that defrauds its customers?

How dare you, sirs!!!!

-Ryan
Old 06-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoizeBringer View Post
How dare this board speak ill of Dave Kohler and his ultra-ethical auction house, SCP Auctions?!!! How many times do I have to state that Dave Kohler is absolutely NOT a huge scumbag running a shady auction house that defrauds its customers?

How dare you, sirs!!!!

-Ryan
That guy Archive is a troublemaker.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

You guys are really being tough on SCP and Dave. Can't you talk about positive things in the hobby? These are really good friends of mine and I've never had a problem with them. I know you're laying out pretty strong circumstantial evidence, Mr. Archive, but I need to see more. Like an arrest, a conviction and unsuccessful appeal and consecutive habeas corpus petitions. Until then I think you're just using this board to further your agenda.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Banned

Everyone in the hobby is great. I don't have a problem with anyone. Just my opinion.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:18 PM

I actually like & respect Dave Kohler a great deal. He's got a hell of a collection of vintage Minneapolis/Los Angeles Lakers memorabilia.

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 06-14-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
I actually like & respect Dave Kohler a great deal. He's got a hell of a collection of vintage Minneapolis/Los Angeles Lakers memorabilia.

Alan,

I can almost understand the "like" part. But, after the way they handled Ryan's situation, how can you ever get to "respect?"

They took a good customer, willing to pay big bucks for a photo, and told him to go pound sand! The picture in their catalog and on their web-site was clearly enhanced and demonstrably different in appearance than the one they shipped to him. Since this was a one of a kind item, the only conclusion possible is that they photoshopped it.

Can you "like" a guy like that? I guess... maybe, if he's never done anything to you. Can you "respect" someone who would do that, and then tell the customer that they won't work to resolve the problem? I will never be able to respect that. And what does having a "hell of a collection" have to do with anything? That's not the kind of thing that commands respect.

Last edited by Jim VB; 06-14-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post
Posted By: peter chao

Jason,

None that I know of, maybe if you check with the local chamber of commerce.

A friendly bump to see if we can get an update.

Peter C.

It's about time Leon reinstates Peter Chao's posting privileges.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default already registered.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
It's about time Leon reinstates Peter Chao's posting privileges.

registered the first day of the new board.......I have the email to prove it

1. Net54Baseball.com Username... Calvindog
2. First & Last name... Peter Chao
3. Daytime ph# (might be called for verification)... 212-xxx-xxxx

Last edited by Leon; 06-14-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Jim R

this thread will go way higher than #211 now

that was funny
Old 06-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Rich Klein

Default Peter brought an enthusiasm

To this board

I actually miss him

Rich
Old 06-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Perhaps this is off topic but maybe it's not.

In the current Leland's auction (you can see the items online as the catalogs have not all been delivered yet) there were three fake rings.

I would like your opinions on this matter.

I am a championship ring collector and have accumulated a large database of rings. This database is a valuable tool in helping to determine if a ring is legit. It's amazing how many fake rings there are out there and now there is a disturbing trend where fake rings have bogus markings inside of the rings with manufacturer's markings to make them look real.

I emailed Leland's about the three rings but I get the feeling they think I am more of a pain in the neck than someone trying to help them and trying to help fellow collectors.

I sent them pictures of three Braves rings and detailed how the three were different than their offering. All they could say was that they would check it out with their "ring expert". Well they did remove the fake ring today.

I alerted them to two Yankee rings that were made by someone who ring collectors know all too well. These two fake rings, with "Balfour" stampings are not real.

I emailed Leland's with pictures showing the differences and Lelands changed the descriptions of both lots from claiming the rings were "exactly what the players received" to an update that says "This is not an exact duplicate. It varies slightly from those that the players received. This ring was made at a later date. "

Please look at my picture and let me know if you feel I am being too picky, or if you feel Lelands is not acting in the best interest of collectors. I would really appreciate the thoughts of others in our hobby. By the way,although Turner's ring is a '55 and Leland's is a '57, the ring molds on the top of the ring are supposed to be 100% identical.

The differrences between Jim Turner's ring and the Leland's ring:

Jim Turner's real ring has three stars below the stones in the hat. All the fakes made lack these stars. Some of the sellers who sell this junk claim Balfour lost the mold and had to recreate the molds. Balfour would never leave something as significant as stars out. Also, notice how big the faux stones are in the Lelands ring. they do not fit in the ring as nicely as the real ring and the stones in the hat are also poorly placed in the Lelands ring.

Look at the shape of both hats. Turner's is much nicer. Notice the "Y" and the stone in the Leland's ring, they are way too close.

Maybe the Lelands ring is kind of close, but should'nt this be classified as a ring copy and not a real Balfour Ring?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (67.2 KB, 681 views)
Old 06-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
registered the first day of the new board.......I have the email to prove it

1. Net54Baseball.com Username... Calvindog
2. First & Last name... Peter Chao
3. Daytime ph# (might be called for verification)... 212-xxx-xxxx
How much would a Wagner sell for in a PSA 10?

Sorry Leon, I had to add that one.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

I wonder on what basis Leland's pronounced these rings real in the first instance.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:16 PM

Very interesting, sports-rings. You present a compelling case. Your post is
worthy of its own thread, in my opinion.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:30 PM
pete ullman

Awesome avator...chuck!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a thread

Sports-ring's post is totally inappropriate in this thread. Period.

It is not inappropriate on the memorabilia side with it's own thread, which is where it is now, from the original poster. No issue with the topic at all... (imo)

Edited to add, I am not trying to diminish what looks to be a possibility of an issue. Is it a 100% chance that Balfour didn't make the "fake" ring? Have they been contacted to ask the questions, or is this so obvious to experts that it's pointless to ask? I know little about rings...and this should be answered in the thread about it on the memorabilia side

Last edited by Leon; 06-15-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:45 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

What ever came of the original issue here? Legal action?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:41 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Relative to the original issue I'd be livid.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 11-02-2011 at 11:42 AM.