NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default OT: Photography Help

Does anyone use a light box to take pictures for your eBay auctions or website. There seems to be some good buys on eBay for light boxes to take pictures of items that stand on there own, but I am concerned that it won't be as effective for magazines and photos that lay flat.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I have thought about myself so I am interested to hear if anyone has input. It seems like a no brainer every time you have to deal with flash / lighting issues.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Greg

I just Googled some DIY directions and made my own bush league version. Basically a cardboard box with sides cut out and some thin foam (old packing material) to kill any glare. Grabbed a couple of cheap lights from the hardware store and it's just a piece of construction paper for the background.
You could surely get much better results with a store bought version or a better homemade version.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Jeff,

I am by no means a professional photographer, but in my experience, the biggest difficulties with photographing photos, magazines or other flat items are 1) glare from lights and 2) keeping the item flat while keeping the camera at 90 degrees to the item. A light box helps a lot with #1, but presents even more difficulties for #2 unless it is large and specifically made to deal with flat items. Placing a card on a stand is one thing, but getting a curled 8x10 photo or a floppy magazine to stand up straight for the shot is a whole other endeavor.

I do use a light box/photo tent for 3-dimensional items (balls, statues, toys, etc), but find that it's tough to beat a good flatbed scanner when it comes to photos and other flat items.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

I visited a map store today and asked them if they could create quality scans of oversized photos. They could not, but they gave me a couple of businesses' names that I'll check out this week. Will get back with the results.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Scott,
Something I hadn't thought of when you asked about the oversized photos before is you might check with a duplication/print shop. When I was working in civil engineering, we occasionally had to scan full-sized sets of plans (24"x36") and would have them done at such a place. I would caution though that such places are not accustomed to dealing with high-priced collectibles, and depending on the dimensions of your photos, the scanning would probably be done in a pass-through arrangement rather than an oversized flatbed scanner.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Scott,
Something I hadn't thought of when you asked about the oversized photos before is you might check with a duplication/print shop. When I was working in civil engineering, we occasionally had to scan full-sized sets of plans (24"x36") and would have them done at such a place. I would caution though that such places are not accustomed to dealing with high-priced collectibles, and depending on the dimensions of your photos, the scanning would probably be done in a pass-through arrangement rather than an oversized flatbed scanner.
Thanks - that was my thought in stopping by the map store, but they only do monochrome. Most of my oversized photos are cabinets, so it would have to be done on a flatbed; however, wherever I get it done, I'll have a very detailed discussion first. Hoping to get it done this week, as I have one that I'm anxious to get framed.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:25 PM
William Peebles

Scott, I recently had a 16x20 original team photo scanned by a professional photo restoration shop. They used a large format flatbed scanner for the job but still had to scan it in two passes. They stitched the image back together and you could never tell where the line is. The service cost $40 and I got a DVD with the image. The file size is huge (1.5GB) which helps tremendously with touch ups and the quality of the image if I were to do a digital reprint of it down the road. I imagine an image that will fit onto a flatbed scanner without having to be stitched together would be much cheaper.

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com
Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks William. I'll be bringing in about 25 photos, so if there's no 'stitching together' required, I'm hoping the volume will keep the price reasonable.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Thanks for all the responses...this is how I hopefully have answered my original question. I will let everyone know how it works out.

http://www.juliusstudio.com/shop/ind...photo-box.html

Jeff
Old 09-06-2012, 04:48 PM

Default Light box

Looks pretty cool Jeff. Let us know how it works when you start taking photos with it. Am I to assume that because of the light shining on the item through the side panels, that you don't have to use your camera's flash, thus cutting down on glare?
Old 09-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjavic View Post
Am I to assume that because of the light shining on the item through the side panels, that you don't have to use your camera's flash, thus cutting down on glare?
Exactly Keith. How are you doing?

Jeff
Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 PM

Default Light Box

I've been doing well Jeff, How about yourself? It was nice meeting you in Baltimore.
If it works out well for you, I might need to pickup one of those light boxes as well. I probably photograph every item for my site 5 or 6 times, increasing the chances of better photos, less glare, etc. Probably worth investing in the light box - at the very least it should save me time.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjavic View Post
I've been doing well Jeff, How about yourself? It was nice meeting you in Baltimore.
If it works out well for you, I might need to pickup one of those light boxes as well. I probably photograph every item for my site 5 or 6 times, increasing the chances of better photos, less glare, etc. Probably worth investing in the light box - at the very least it should save me time.
All is well. I will keep you posted....I hope to have it this upcoming week.

Jeff