NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1901  
Old 11-08-2018, 04:48 PM
jsage jsage is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 296
Default

Looks like the batter will break his wrists.
Cross-handed grip...............................
Reply With Quote
  #1902  
Old 11-09-2018, 07:51 AM
bocca001's Avatar
bocca001 bocca001 is offline
Marc
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 260
Default

Maybe it's a left handed batter looking back at the umpire to question his call...
Reply With Quote
  #1903  
Old 11-09-2018, 12:36 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,188
Default

Either way, thats one hell of a war club hes wielding!
Reply With Quote
  #1904  
Old 11-15-2018, 03:45 PM
bocca001's Avatar
bocca001 bocca001 is offline
Marc
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 260
Default Some color

Some colorful additions. Especially excited to add the NL champs pennant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SF pennant NL champs color.jpg (82.2 KB, 288 views)
Reply With Quote
  #1905  
Old 11-15-2018, 05:28 PM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 2,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Some colorful additions. Especially excited to add the NL champs pennant.
I've always liked the AdFlag pennant with the red, white, blue gradient.
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #1906  
Old 11-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT and TX
Posts: 798
Default

Every once in a while a CFL pennant catches my eye. Added this one recently. Love the artwork on it.

image host
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #1907  
Old 11-21-2018, 08:42 PM
Joe Hunter Joe Hunter is online now
Joe Hunter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Kansas City area
Posts: 249
Default 1954 World Series Pennant

Picked up this toughie at an estate auction this past weekend. I wasnt the only one that wanted it, but was finally able to get it for a reasonable bid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66BE7822-2D81-48C8-A79C-522CD585879A.jpg (22.0 KB, 199 views)
Reply With Quote
  #1908  
Old 11-21-2018, 09:59 PM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 2,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hunter View Post
Picked up this toughie at an estate auction this past weekend. I wasnt the only one that wanted it, but was finally able to get it for a reasonable bid.
Nice!
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #1909  
Old 11-21-2018, 10:01 PM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 2,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Every once in a while a CFL pennant catches my eye. Added this one recently. Love the artwork on it.

image host
Love the scared looking guy running under the goalpost and the fact that one lion chose to wear a helmet and the other chose not to.
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #1910  
Old 11-23-2018, 05:26 PM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT and TX
Posts: 798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Love the scared looking guy running under the goalpost and the fact that one lion chose to wear a helmet and the other chose not to.
Helmets were optional in the NFL prior to 1943...not sure about the CFL.

Rob
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #1911  
Old 11-25-2018, 07:13 PM
jimm's Avatar
jimm jimm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 302
Default

Great stuff!
__________________
Collecting vintage nodders... building 60s 70s card sets... pretty much anything SF/NY Giants
Reply With Quote
  #1912  
Old 11-25-2018, 11:30 PM
doug.goodman doug.goodman is offline
Doug Goodman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: On tour somewhere
Posts: 2,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradedcollectibles10 View Post
The graphic also is pretty much identical to the 1950s extremely rare Mullins Close Shave Pin.

Any info/thoughts are welcome and appreciated.
That is a fantastic pennant, but I'm not sure how you are calling the images "pretty much identical" I'm thinking a more apt comparison would be "not similar in any way other than that they involve the same character".

Still a great pennant though.

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #1913  
Old 12-01-2018, 11:12 AM
matty39's Avatar
matty39 matty39 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 266
Default BF3 premium pennants

In 1936 or 37 The Red Ball sales Co.of Chicago sold or gave away small pennants, later called bf3s. In one of their promotions they advertised a mail-in program in which a person could receive one of 16 different large premium pennants. Below is the advertisement as well as a picture of some of the premium pennants. They are quite rare. In fact I never seen a Reds premium and single copies of several others. I also added a picture of three of the six that I own. Mitchell and Ness also muddied the water by making reproductions of the premiums.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg type 4.jpg (68.2 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg zombie1.jpg (73.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0588.jpg (81.0 KB, 210 views)
__________________
Always looking for 1936-38 BF3 mini pennants.
Reply With Quote
  #1914  
Old 12-01-2018, 11:19 AM
icollectDCsports's Avatar
icollectDCsports icollectDCsports is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty39 View Post
.
Great info and beautiful display.
Reply With Quote
  #1915  
Old 12-06-2018, 05:51 PM
bocca001's Avatar
bocca001 bocca001 is offline
Marc
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 260
Default Santa Clara

Great stuff matty39. I'd love to spend a few hours on a guided tour through your room/display.

I've posted a picture of some recent pickups.

I've been collecting Santa Clara College/University items for many years, and it is rare for me to come across a pennant that I have never seen before. I upgrade now and then, but I don't think I've seen a new/different design in more than 5 years. So, last week, a new (to me) pennant pops up on eBay. But, to get the pennant, I had to buy a lot of 11 pennants. The seller actually had three lots of 11 pennants.

I also picked up the Giants pennant from Fballguy (thanks, Rob).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCU 11 pennants.jpg (81.4 KB, 160 views)
Reply With Quote
  #1916  
Old 12-06-2018, 07:08 PM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 2,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Great stuff matty39. I'd love to spend a few hours on a guided tour through your room/display.

I've posted a picture of some recent pickups.

I've been collecting Santa Clara College/University items for many years, and it is rare for me to come across a pennant that I have never seen before. I upgrade now and then, but I don't think I've seen a new/different design in more than 5 years. So, last week, a new (to me) pennant pops up on eBay. But, to get the pennant, I had to buy a lot of 11 pennants. The seller actually had three lots of 11 pennants.

I also picked up the Giants pennant from Fballguy (thanks, Rob).

Thats funny about the Santa Clara pennants. I assume the price for 11 was something you would have paid for one? Or do you have illusions of getting rich off the other 10?
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #1917  
Old 12-06-2018, 07:19 PM
bocca001's Avatar
bocca001 bocca001 is offline
Marc
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 260
Default

The price for 11 was something like $55. That's just a bit more than what I usually pay for one decent/old Santa Clara pennant. I thought for a second about buying all 3 lots ($5 per pennant seemed so cheap), but then came to my senses. With 22, I might have been able to make a full circle!
Reply With Quote
  #1918  
Old 12-06-2018, 08:19 PM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 2,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
The price for 11 was something like $55. That's just a bit more than what I usually pay for one decent/old Santa Clara pennant. I thought for a second about buying all 3 lots ($5 per pennant seemed so cheap), but then came to my senses. With 22, I might have been able to make a full circle!
Stocking stuffers!
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #1919  
Old 12-06-2018, 10:20 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,188
Default

Nice pickups, Marc...

Did anyone here get to that same seller in time for his "fire sale" of Dallas Texans and New York Bulldogs Pennants? They must've sold within seconds of being listed. All of them looked pristine. To say he gave them away is not much of an exaggeration.

It will be interesting to see what they go for individually, if/when they hit the auction block (which I believe will be relatively soon).
Reply With Quote
  #1920  
Old 12-07-2018, 03:27 PM
thetahat's Avatar
thetahat thetahat is offline
Greg
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Nice pickups, Marc...

Did anyone here get to that same seller in time for his "fire sale" of Dallas Texans and New York Bulldogs Pennants? They must've sold within seconds of being listed. All of them looked pristine. To say he gave them away is not much of an exaggeration.

It will be interesting to see what they go for individually, if/when they hit the auction block (which I believe will be relatively soon).
Ugh. I just pulled it up. Ive had two Bulldogs pennants for years. Their value just plummeted more than the bolivar ....
Reply With Quote
  #1921  
Old 12-07-2018, 04:21 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,188
Default

Mine as well.... and I just bought it less than 2 months ago
Reply With Quote
  #1922  
Old 12-07-2018, 07:16 PM
bocca001's Avatar
bocca001 bocca001 is offline
Marc
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 260
Default

How many Bulldogs pennants were there?

I see them now. 10 Bulldogs pennants, plus Texans, Yankees, and Giants football pennants. Wonder how all of those ended up in CA, from a seller who mostly deals in automotive parts? Seems to be new old stock. I get the Santa Clara pennants being in CA, but the others seem rather random.

Last edited by bocca001; 12-07-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1923  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:56 PM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 2,514
Default

Yeah, that seller has some random stuff.

Im still following some seller who had some good Giants stuff, like 10 years ago....now hes selling nothing but wrenches, sockets and distributors.
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #1924  
Old 12-08-2018, 08:55 AM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT and TX
Posts: 798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
How many Bulldogs pennants were there?

I see them now. 10 Bulldogs pennants, plus Texans, Yankees, and Giants football pennants. Wonder how all of those ended up in CA, from a seller who mostly deals in automotive parts? Seems to be new old stock. I get the Santa Clara pennants being in CA, but the others seem rather random.
As Mark and Erik already know...This is what's known as Rob's curse. During a normal day I'll check in on eBay several times. But when the Texans and Bulldogs pennants sold, I was on a flight to India and unfortunately, offline.

Has happened more than once. Luckily, I don't have the Bulldogs. Never found one at a price I liked. Now I'll probably never own one. I do have the Texans one however. Bummed to see the others hit the market. Especially in better condition than mine.
__________________
R0b G@@13t

Last edited by Fballguy; 12-08-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1925  
Old 12-12-2018, 03:56 PM
bb66 bb66 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 5
Default

Great pennants. Thanks for showing.
Reply With Quote
  #1926  
Old 12-12-2018, 03:56 PM
bb66 bb66 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 5
Default

Great pennants. Thanks for showing.
Reply With Quote
  #1927  
Old 12-12-2018, 03:56 PM
bb66 bb66 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 5
Default

Great pennants. Thanks for showing.
Reply With Quote
  #1928  
Old 12-15-2018, 11:59 AM
Darner's Avatar
Darner Darner is offline
Ed L@m
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 154
Default

Picked up this Phillies pennant. I'm unsure of its year but I suspect it is from 1943 because the Phillies logo resembles one used on a 1943 scorecard. It's not an exact match but it's close and that scorecard logo only appeared that year. New ownership switched to the Phillies Blue Jays in 1944 then settled on a shorter-looking wordmark in the 1950's and '60's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3498.jpg (43.8 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg 43-2.jpg (65.4 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by Darner; 12-15-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1929  
Old 12-15-2018, 03:47 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,188
Default

Never seen that one before... Great Find!
Reply With Quote
  #1930  
Old 12-16-2018, 10:06 AM
Duluth Eskimo's Avatar
Duluth Eskimo Duluth Eskimo is offline
Ja.son Hugh.es
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,611
Default

I would have guessed mid 40s to early 50s if you asked for a time period estimate. I believe there was a series of full sized that match this style. I dont recall seeing this exact style, but Im not much of a Phillies watcher.
Reply With Quote
  #1931  
Old 12-16-2018, 06:50 PM
thetahat's Avatar
thetahat thetahat is offline
Greg
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darner View Post
Picked up this Phillies pennant. I'm unsure of its year but I suspect it is from 1943 because the Phillies logo resembles one used on a 1943 scorecard. It's not an exact match but it's close and that scorecard logo only appeared that year. New ownership switched to the Phillies Blue Jays in 1944 then settled on a shorter-looking wordmark in the 1950's and '60's.
First: awesome pennant! I am exclusively a pennant collector in the heart of Phillies country, and I've never seen this before. (So if you ever want to trade/sell . )

Now when I saw this the first pennant that came to mind was this one from the 1969 Trench series the city name is not a perfect match in font but very, very close, about as close as "Phillies" is to that in the yearbook. Obviously yours is older.

But I'm gonna take an educated guess though and say early-mid 60s. Looks a lot like a Keezer pennant, by the style of tassels. There are two other Keezer Phillies from earlier years, though if this is a third that would be unusual. Now it's hard to see in the picture, but the white strip is there only one row/line of stitching, as opposed to two? If it's just one down the middle, as it appears, then I will definitely say early-mid 60s, as I have a couple similar pennants with that rare stitch pattern and one of them is an LA Angels pennant. This is rare in that you're supposed to be able to slide a dowel inside that strip, but for these pennant the stitching makes it impossible. I'll have to dig it up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3647 (1).jpg (56.2 KB, 294 views)
Reply With Quote
  #1932  
Old 12-16-2018, 08:03 PM
Darner's Avatar
Darner Darner is offline
Ed L@m
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 154
Default

Interesting information. I did notice the unusual single row of zig-zag stitching. I'd like to see the other pennants you're comparing it to. If it's from the 1960's, it's pretty oddball graphically.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3502.jpg (75.7 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3500.jpg (77.0 KB, 280 views)
Reply With Quote
  #1933  
Old 12-17-2018, 07:30 AM
thetahat's Avatar
thetahat thetahat is offline
Greg
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darner View Post
Interesting information. I did notice the unusual single row of zig-zag stitching. I'd like to see the other pennants you're comparing it to. If it's from the 1960's, it's pretty oddball graphically.
Here ya go. Turns out I have three from this series. Very unique. I like the simple designs. Also including a pic of some of my Phillies pennants, the two on the second row from bottom are both Keezer pennants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pennant 1.jpg (75.2 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg pennant 2.jpg (64.4 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg pennant 3.jpg (78.7 KB, 261 views)
Reply With Quote
  #1934  
Old 12-17-2018, 08:20 AM
murphusa murphusa is offline
Jim Murphy
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
First: awesome pennant! I am exclusively a pennant collector in the heart of Phillies country, and I've never seen this before. (So if you ever want to trade/sell …. )

Now when I saw this the first pennant that came to mind was this one from the 1969 Trench series … the city name is not a perfect match in font but very, very close, about as close as "Phillies" is to that in the yearbook. Obviously yours is older.

But I'm gonna take an educated guess though and say early-mid 60s. Looks a lot like a Keezer pennant, by the style of tassels. There are two other Keezer Phillies from earlier years, though … if this is a third that would be unusual. Now it's hard to see in the picture, but the white strip … is there only one row/line of stitching, as opposed to two? If it's just one down the middle, as it appears, then I will definitely say early-mid 60s, as I have a couple similar pennants with that rare stitch pattern and one of them is an LA Angels pennant. This is rare in that you're supposed to be able to slide a dowel inside that strip, but for these pennant the stitching makes it impossible. I'll have to dig it up …
the date is on the pennant by the MLB logo 1969

Last edited by murphusa; 12-17-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1935  
Old 12-17-2018, 08:53 AM
thetahat's Avatar
thetahat thetahat is offline
Greg
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
the date is on the pennant by the MLB logo 1969
As a side note, that's the date of the trademark and it has been applied to pennants from the early 70s. NFL pennants (also Trench?) have 1967 dated trademark used for at least 3-5 years beyond.

This white Phillies one is highly likely to be from 1969 as it is cloth, not felt, and of the same style as a Seattle Pilots I own.

Last edited by thetahat; 12-17-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1936  
Old 12-17-2018, 11:40 AM
Darner's Avatar
Darner Darner is offline
Ed L@m
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 154
Default

Great stuff, Greg! The construction sure suggests the Phillies was part of that series. Interesting that the three pennants you have use "official" team logos. The Phillies logo is just plain weird and quite unlike anything I've seen from the 1960's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1222 copy.jpg (71.3 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg 6546.jpg (73.8 KB, 251 views)
Reply With Quote
  #1937  
Old 12-17-2018, 04:28 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,188
Default

Here is one of mine with the same criss-cross stitching. I'd thought it was a 1950s pennant, but guess it's actually early '60s, based on Greg's info.

It's similar to the Phillies with regard to the earlier logo being utilized. The "Batting Sock" Mascot was employed by the Red Sox from 1950 - 58. I guess that Keezer liked it enough to extend it a few more years.

I wonder how/where these were originally sold, as they are next to impossible to find today. Probably not ever sold at Stadiums, as a stick could not be inserted. Perhaps through Sporting Goods Stores, Department Stores or similar retail outlets. I also have the Reds pennant, and had a chance at the Cubs from this series a couple of years ago. But it was altered just badly enough to keep me from buying. Have not seen any others from this series since then... super rare!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bosox1.jpg (68.6 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg Bosox2.jpg (74.3 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 12-18-2018 at 01:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1938  
Old 12-20-2018, 05:53 AM
thetahat's Avatar
thetahat thetahat is offline
Greg
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 201
Default

Mark, great pennant! Love that swinging sock graphic. Super cool.
Reply With Quote
  #1939  
Old 12-22-2018, 02:04 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,188
Default

Thanks Greg!

A warning to all pennant collectors. A slew of new reproductions have hit the market, and they are NOT being disclosed as repros. They appear far more convincing than reproductions of the past. They look to have painted/screened graphics, as opposed to the tell-tale raised velvet.

I really wish that they would be required to print "Reproduction" on the reverse side. or provide some disclosure. Rather than posting a ton of links, here is the Seller who is peddling most of these....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/raokwithme/...p2047675.l2562

Be careful, and look closely at the spines/tassels. This is the biggest sign that they are recent reproductions.
Reply With Quote
  #1940  
Old 12-22-2018, 10:19 PM
lefty147 lefty147 is offline
Mike
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 258
Default

I saw those too. I did see on the back along the spine what looked like the edge of a cardboard tag.
Reply With Quote
  #1941  
Old 12-23-2018, 09:21 AM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 2,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty147 View Post
I saw those too. I did see on the back along the spine what looked like the edge of a cardboard tag.
No doubt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C1D7AD14-5560-45A8-B36C-F743B5A2C9E2.jpeg (11.3 KB, 230 views)
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #1942  
Old 12-23-2018, 02:56 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,188
Default

Well, turns out the seller is a decent guy.

I emailed him about the lack of disclosure, and he promptly inserted "NEW" in the titles, as well as "REPRODUCTION PENNANT" to lead off the descriptions. Nice that he did the right thing.

Link to example...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Philade...Hb20:rk:5:pf:0

Last edited by perezfan; 12-23-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1943  
Old 12-23-2018, 04:45 PM
icollectDCsports's Avatar
icollectDCsports icollectDCsports is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Well, turns out the seller is a decent guy.

I emailed him about the lack of disclosure, and he promptly inserted "NEW" in the titles, as well as "REPRODUCTION PENNANT" to lead off the descriptions. Nice that he did the right thing.

Link to example...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Philade...Hb20:rk:5:pf:0
Well done by you to prompt the change. Will avoid a lot of headaches for everyone in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #1944  
Old 12-23-2018, 04:55 PM
Domer05's Avatar
Domer05 Domer05 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 49
Default

Did the seller share with you where these reproductions came from? Did he make them himself I wonder? They're not bad as reproductions go....

The remnant of the card header on the reverse sure looks like Mitchell and Ness's branding (by Collegiate Pacific). But, as you noted earlier, these do appear to be screened or painted graphics--not flocked. I own many M&N reproductions and all were made with flocked graphics.

Decent wall hangers, for sure.

Thanks for the heads up, Mark.
__________________
pennantfever.weebly.com
Always interested in felt novelty companies and their products
Reply With Quote
  #1945  
Old 12-23-2018, 08:49 PM
gradedcollectibles10 gradedcollectibles10 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 69
Default

Just picked up the Yankee pennant. Not in the best of shape, but figured they belong together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 267B9E1B-3419-474C-9D7A-F653E72AF7CB.jpg (17.4 KB, 218 views)
Reply With Quote
  #1946  
Old 12-24-2018, 06:01 PM
Duluth Eskimo's Avatar
Duluth Eskimo Duluth Eskimo is offline
Ja.son Hugh.es
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,611
Default

If that was the one off eBay, you got a good deal. The condition was a little off, but that is a very tough pennant. I dont have it, but I only look for the dated ones from years they won or I would have bought it. Nice pick up
Reply With Quote
  #1947  
Old 12-24-2018, 06:02 PM
Duluth Eskimo's Avatar
Duluth Eskimo Duluth Eskimo is offline
Ja.son Hugh.es
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,611
Default

BTW, that Dodgers pennant is very tough as well. Nice pennant
Reply With Quote
  #1948  
Old 12-24-2018, 07:04 PM
gradedcollectibles10 gradedcollectibles10 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 69
Default

Thanks! I love the Dodgers pennant. One of my favorite pieces.
Its a very scarce pennant. Most in that style will only reference national league champions. This one mentions world champions as well.
Reply With Quote
  #1949  
Old 12-28-2018, 09:20 AM
thetahat's Avatar
thetahat thetahat is offline
Greg
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 201
Default

Just added to my unhealthy and borderline destructive collection of late 30s/early 40s STL Browns pennants, looking for any and every variation. This is my second green one, the orange graphic being different than the other one which is more yellow/gold. (The tassels of the others are all tucked behind.) …

I vaguely recall seeing one in red … anyone know? (Mark?)

This graphic, IMO, ranks right up there with 80s Brewers and Hartford Whalers as the coolest sports logos ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3709.jpg (79.9 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3710.jpg (79.0 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 12-28-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1950  
Old 12-28-2018, 11:22 AM
Duluth Eskimo's Avatar
Duluth Eskimo Duluth Eskimo is offline
Ja.son Hugh.es
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,611
Default

There is a red one. I believe there is also a dated version other than your 1939. not including the World Series version. I dont have photos of either, but I know I have seen a red one.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are Memorabilia Guys Smarter Than Card Guys? 4scuda Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 14 02-13-2014 09:13 AM
1913 Northwestern League Pennant Winners Pennant Archive Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 1 03-19-2009 06:55 AM
O/T For Stat Guys Only, I'm sure SABR guys are already looking it up Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 48 07-05-2007 07:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.


ebay GSB