NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Default Mexican cards of U.S. Negro Leaguers

Posted By: Paul

Just in case any of you missed it, there was an auction on ebay for an album full of cards from the Mexican League, including Ray Dandridge and other Negro Leaguers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180151920013&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

I hope Chad was able to win it. I know it was his dream to find an album of Mexican League cards.

I assume these cards were not previously known, but if any of you had heard of them before, please let me know.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

Thanks for the sentiment, though. I crapped my pants (figuratively) when I saw this. But I know the guy who did win--(hell, you all do, too)--and he has my congratulations. He deserves them more than I do. (The seller deserves congrats too for pulling these out of a Mexico City junk store.)

That said, I wonder how many people realize how astounding this find is? It's entirely possible now that there may in fact be cards of guys like Josh Gibson and Willie Well and Cool Papa Bell in Mexico. It get my blood racing. The discovery of the year and one of the most important finds of the decade in my mind. The final price was a ridiculous bargain. Viva Mexico!

--Chad

Old 09-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Beyond words. Terrific find!

Old 09-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

why such a low price?

Old 09-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

I think the "low" price had to do with the following factors:

1. There is only one HOFer (Dandridge) in the album and that player has several other cards, several of which are not particularly difficult to obtain.

2. The album had literally been torn in half and glued back together. Several cards are torn in half right down the middle, including several good ones like Marvin Williams, Lazaro Salazar, Ramon Bragana, etc. If you don't know who those guys are, well shame on you!

3. The winning bid that was placed was literally 10 times the amount of the next highest bid. Had only one other bidder decided to place a bid that took into consideration the fact that this is single largest group of vintage Mexican baseball cards ever to surface, it could have easily sold for $10,000 or more. In fact, prior to this auction, I knew of a total of two Mexican baseball cards from this era. Sometimes these kinds of things can almost be TOO rare. As with any auction, it only takes two bidders going crazy for an item to drive the price through the roof. When there is only one crazy bidder, hopefully (for the seller) they have set a reserve, which in this case meant an extra $1,000.

4. It's almost impossible to say what a "fair" or "market" price for an item that is so unique should be. The selling price would suggest that $2,450 is the "market" price. Unless the underbidder's high bid is a more accurate representation of the "market" which would mean $1,400 is the "market" price. However, had the reserve been set at $10,000 it would have sold for that amount. Would that make $10,000 the "market" price? I suppose it really doesn't matter since it is now permanently off the market, but it's still interesting to ponder.

-Ryan