NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Default BGS/BVG

Posted By: Rick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, yes, this is another post about grading companies.

The latest issue of Old Cardboard has a grading special from Beckett Vintage Grading. It seems like a great deal at 5 bucks a card. I don't see many Beckett graded cards on ebay in the 1930's area, or in the pre-1930 section. If anyone has experience with BGS or BVG, what are your thoughts and experiences in regard to the quality and consistency of their grading, and the relative values of Beckett graded cards compared to some of the other services?

My only Beckett card is a BVG4 1941 Double Play Pee Wee Reese/Higby, which to me looks like it could be a 3 or a 4, depending on whether I am buying or selling.

Have at it!

Rick

Old 07-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Default BGS/BVG

Posted By: steve f

Most prewar purists prefer GAI, SGC, PSA. I find BVG's crossed to PSA frequently score a higher grade. I'm not too crazy about the bulky (more durable) BVG holder. Personally, I would pay the same for a BVG graded card.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Default BGS/BVG

Posted By: leon

the exec's have changed a little bit I believe, and for the better..or their grading has improved..I have said, and still do, that I like BVG better, and trust them more, than one of the "Big 3", maybe 2 of the big 3...I had a big issue of them not standing behind their slabs/authentications, at one time, but don't think that's the case now with the new regime..regards

Old 07-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Default BGS/BVG

Posted By: T206Collector

I just purchased a lot of 8 T206 cards graded by BVG. I think they are probably all over graded, by SGC standards. I may try to cross one or more over at some point, but I would be shocked if they crossed over at the same level. Each of the cards has scrap book residue and some even have paper loss. Nevertheless, most of them graded a 3 or higher. I won't be purchasing BVG again.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Default BGS/BVG

Posted By: steve yawitz

I bought a couple of BVG T206's about a week or so ago. The 3 was generously graded - a little too much surface wrinkling for the grade - but I thought the 2 was accurate. Still, for the price I paid and the fact that I've cracked them out anyway, I can't really complain. And I have to say that if they weren't so darn clunky, I'd really like the BGS holder. I like how the mylar sleeve kinda floats the card in the holder.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Default BGS/BVG

Posted By: eatturf

I just received my first shipment from them and posted them on the 2nd new cards thread for July. I was not let down. Having compared them to GAI, PSA, & SGC, I think the BVG holder will protect better over time. PSA holders that I have seen can still damage the sides of the cards if you rattle them hard enough. Not so with the BVG, the mylar sleeve keeps it from moving (shook the heck out of the 1964 Topps Giants Mantle, not the smartest card to try it with). GAI holders I just don't like, but that's probably me. SGC I really enjoy, I think they present very well and hold the card without risk of damage. Two big advantages SGC has, (1)turn around time for the price, (2)vintage ebayers just don't seem to value the BVG as much as SGC. Comparing the two companies as far as grading toughness, I believe they are both responsible, accurate graders. BVG returned one T206 as altered, which it was.

I will continue to use BVG and SCG. SCG for cards I may want to sell, and BVG for cards I will forever keep.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Default BGS/BVG

Posted By: quan

i've just bought my 3rd bvg card, i was very pleased with the first 2. i'm assuming they were graded under the new regime since they don't have those subgrades anymore. they basically went for a lot less than what similar cards would bring in psa/sgc holders (an e101 and an e94) and looking at the scans i was comfortable with beckett's grading so I took the gamble. both were 3s and I thought they were at least VG+ to me. no complaint although i would never submit to them for resale.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Default BGS/BVG

Posted By: warshawlaw

But my few cards from BVG have been overgraded. This Clemente is a 5.5 not a 6.5:

Old 07-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Default BGS/BVG

Posted By: Kyle

Any chance anyone could post a copy of the ad special, or email one over? I'd be interested in seeing it!

Thanks,
Kyle

Old 07-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Default BGS/BVG

Posted By: Rick

Here it is:

Old 07-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Default BGS/BVG

Posted By: Kyle

Thanks for the pic! I must ask one more thing, can you translate the text? I can't read it very well and it looks like it says $5 for 10 day service, but the headline says 45 day service!

Thanks,
Kyle

Old 07-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Default BGS/BVG

Posted By: Calleocho

The cost of grading a card should not have much weight when it comes to who grades your cards.

If you have no intentions of selling the cards ever then 5 bucks is way too much for a plastic slab.

If you want to sell them then you shoud aim for the one that brings in higher prices.

If you like the peace of mind of knowing your cards are not fake or altered...PSA, SGC and GAI are defenitly more experienced than BVG.

I honestly see no reason for using BVG...im not agaisnt buying them for a cheaper price mind you...but to actually send them pre war cards?

Im curious to know why would anyone send them pre war cards?

Old 07-18-2006, 03:24 AM
Administrator

Default BGS/BVG

Posted By: edacra

I really like the BVG holders too. PSA would be my least favorite with the shiny stickers. The Beckets just look cleaner and less obtrusive to me, probably because they're a little more solid.

The grading on the 40's, and 50's card are pretty informative, and accurate enough, but there's a reason you'll see anything older slabbed by SCG or PSA. I just find the SCG grading a bit harsh, and unrealistic for certain rare issues. There are examples of misgraded cards with every grader, but it depends on why you're having it slabbed. To up your sell price? To preserve, and authenticate your card? Much of this card grading trend is all hype, so go with who you personally trust the most.