NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Default My new Cobb! Question about crossing over.

Posted By: Rob Fouch

Hi, guys.
I hope this isn’t seen as just an excuse to show off the Cobb I bought yesterday, though I am ridiculously excited about acquiring it. I actually do have a legitimate question.
I’m a PSA guy, not necessarily out of any preference to their quality but simply because that’s the company I started with and the expense would just be too great at this point to cross everything over to SGC.
Has anyone ever crossed over from SGC to PSA? Seems like most of the people on this board go the other direction. Can I expect pretty much the same grade? I was hoping this might jump to a PSA 4. I have a few other 4’s that look about the same as this one. But maybe that’s just wishful thinking.
I’ve never crossed a card. I’m assuming I break it out and send it to PSA with no record of the previous grading? My thought is that it wouldn’t be a good idea to include the previous holder, which might put the idea into the PSA grader’s head that it’s definitely a 3. I guess the only risk is that I might get a 2. I really don’t think that will happen. It’s too nice a card and from what most say on this board, SGC is tougher.
Any thoughts? Advice would be much appreciated.

"

Old 07-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Nice cobby - congrats. If you are going to have any hope of psa upgrading the card, you will have to crack it out. From what Ive heard, psa does not give higher grades when cards are submitted already slabbed. That being said, I dont think that cobb is going to get a 4. The corners are soft and its got a stain on the back. I think its a great looking cobb, but I think the grade is appropriate.

Now that you have your first cobb, good luck stopping there

Old 07-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

but I agree with Josh. Those are 3 corners and with the soiling on the back that's probably the best you can do with a cross-over.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the quick response, Josh.
So you're allowed to submit a card still in the holder to PSA and let them break it out? I might be content to get the 3 if they'd do that, because I got the card for what I consider a decent price.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

3 seems very fair grade to me. As mentioned, the card has soft corners and a back stain, but there is also a stain that appears on the front (at the top right). While I suppose it "could" get through PSA as a 4, that seems unlikely.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

yes, you can submit it slabbed (that is what a true "crossover" is on their price list). Anything not in a slab gets graded per the ordinary grading rates. The only thing to look at is if they have a maximum card value for crossovers (I dont use psa, but sgc is 500). Finally, you should also make sure to instruct psa not to crack it out of the slab unless it will get a minimum grade of 3 (which it should). SGC will allow you to put down a minimum grade and I assume psa will as well.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve yawitz

Nice card, Rob! I don't think it would get a bump to a 4, but it's not entirely impossible. I also can't see it going down to a 2. Looks like a pretty solid 3 anywhere. So I don't know that it matters much if you send it in slabbed or crack it out yourself. I'd probably go with the latter just because I'd rather remove it myself than have PSA do it.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Thanks for your help, everybody. I appreciate it.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

don't know if u remember but i bought an e121 ruth pitching psa4 from u a couple years back...

like others i don't think it's gonna be a 4 either. if it was me with my clumsy hands i'd just go with M/G 3 on the card and let PSA do the work of cracking it out. i also try to cross most SGC cards over to PSA, whether for my own collection or else...just personal preference.

edited to add glad you've found your way to pre-war vintage, they're hella neat

Old 07-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Yes, I remember you well, Quan. One of the guys who helped me buy my house.
That Ruth (I miss him), my PSA 2 Mantle rookie and a bunch of other cards wound up being the down payment.
Now that we're in the house (about nine months now), I'm diving back in to collecting. Much to my wife's chagrin.