NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-08-2015, 08:20 AM
Mike Biggans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
even more weird are the more modern cards..people buying 1970s cards with 'low pop' but the pop gets added to all the time...heck lots of unopened packs out there was well. for cards in that era....at least in the t206s there aren't 1000s of unopened packs that can have cards that can be added to POP
Understood with the very, VERY few unopened T206 type packs around, but there are raw cards in attics, and more specifically, safe deposit boxes that people haven't seen in 40 years, this I promise, and many more times in the future we will continue to be shocked when these are finally brought to public awareness.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:58 AM

While it is crazy to assume that all the T206's that exist still are known to exist and not hidden in an old attic, it is also crazy assume that all the cards that exist now will always exist. Unless every card is put in an everything-proof cube, cards get taken out of circulation via natural disasters, fires, accidents and hundreds of vintage cards are in the mail at any given point. Cards also get taken out of the known category too.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-08-2015, 04:59 PM
Mike Biggans

My point mainly relies on, not necessarily attics, but rather collectors who do not, or have not, made their collections known, i.e., safe deposit boxes, safes, et al. I know for a fact that there are collectors with quality, raw and rare cards, not on anyone's radar. Not all T206 cards, and other pretty war rarities, were obtained by their current owners with the last 30-40 years, at an auction house, or in the new digital age.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:42 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggsdaddycool View Post
Understood with the very, VERY few unopened T206 type packs around, but there are raw cards in attics, and more specifically, safe deposit boxes that people haven't seen in 40 years, this I promise, and many more times in the future we will continue to be shocked when these are finally brought to public awareness.

right but t206s are not kept by the original collector anymore....whoever is dying with these cards didn't get them originally ...when cards are obtained for free they tend to be sold for not top dollars since every dollar collected is profit....so there was more incentive for the t206s that were valuable to be on the market already from these new non original collectors...there are a lot of 1950s original collectors I would gather that their cards may be hitting the market for the first time when they die....as their kids/heirs will be getting the cards for free...
Old 03-08-2015, 06:20 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
when cards are obtained for free they tend to be sold for not top dollars since every dollar collected is profit...
i dont agree with this statement at all. It is the rarer...more valuable inherited collections that DO find their ways to the big auction houses and DO realize top dollar. ALthough by flooding the market with rarities like mint graded e98's and red hindu t206's there can be bargains to be found.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:07 PM
JeR@Me

Default Nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Oh yes.

From the Tobacco celebrity look alike thread last summer..

Tremendous. Must be related!
Old 03-08-2015, 10:08 PM
JeR@Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacktrack View Post
Well, not really, but kind of. We received a package the other day that we knew just had to be shared with Net54. A woman cleaning out her family's attic in Pennsylvania stumbled upon a small box of tobacco cards and contacted us to see if they might have any value. She said they were almost all of the same player - Titus, Philadelphia. We asked for pictures and couldn't help but laugh when we got them. The collection consisted of 56 John Titus cards, including 13 T206s. She packed them up and sent them to us, and the entire lot will be sold in our spring auction. Before the bidding opens, I thought you guys would get a kick out of seeing the pictures. The backs are all pretty standard, with one T206 Old Mill and one T205 American Beauty. It turns out that Titus was from the same area as the family (Schuylkill County, PA), which likely explained why someone made a conscious effort to collect his cards and amass what very well might be the second largest collection of T206 Titus cards out there.

Brian Dwyer
Robert Edward Auctions

photo 19037_zps16sznkda.jpg
 photo 19037b_zpsvwqqmbrs.jpg
 photo 19037c_zpsznb6apeo.jpg
Awesome - Thnx for sharing!
Old 03-08-2015, 11:23 PM

Default Don't give me no lip

Statistically speaking, the 14 T201 and 13 T201 Titus cards are more of a hoard than the 13 T206 Titus cards, based upon the relative availability of cards from each of these sets versus the Monster.

Take that, hairy lip man!

Brian
Old 03-09-2015, 03:18 PM

A 1901 version of Titus's stache!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1901basketball.jpg (7.5 KB, 232 views)
Old 03-15-2015, 10:34 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

If there is a Titus hoarder out there hit me up! I got a Psa 7 t201 that's ready to sell 😁