NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-04-2011, 09:11 AM

Default Question about 1929 R316 Kashin Haines

Greetings everyone. I am wondering if anyone would know why it is so difficult to find a 1929 Kashin Pub. Jesse Haines card? I am working on the set and this card seems very elusive. Look forward to some replies.
Thanks
Old 08-04-2011, 04:40 PM
John V.

Are you collecting the set graded or ungraded ? I need the Siebold... but here's an explanation.......

The reason is that when the R316 set was issued, they were sold in four series (25 cards per box, each box representing one of four series, for a total of 100 cards). In an effort to boost sales, the company issuing the set (Kashen Publications) decided that they could get kids more excited by including a Babe Ruth card with each boxed series. To do this, instead of just adding an extra card, they replaced one card in each series with Ruth. Thus, while Ruth is the key card to the set, like card #144 Ruth in 1933 Goudey, it was actually printed in larger numbers than other cards in the set. Haines was one of the cards removed from distribution to accommodate "the Ruth sales strategy," making this card one of the scarcer ones.

Somebody just snagged an ungraded Haines in GREAT shape within moments of it being listed week or so ago... how they located it so quick, buy it now, I have NO IDEA... some people obsessivley troll EBAY, apparently... or dang lucky
Old 08-05-2011, 06:33 AM

I completed the Kashin set about 8 mos. ago (about 1/2 graded) after trying to find a Haines for about 2 years and 2 Nationals. One dealer had one recently graded and said he had just sold it to Don Spence. I finally found one which graded out as a PSA 1. Better than nothing. Seibold, Todt and Hadley are the other short prints.

Last edited by DaveH; 08-05-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Wonder if those cards were also short printed in the R316-2 "MADE IN USA" set???

Also wonder if they were issued in the boxed sets too....

I have always called them Canadian R316's, because many of the ones Ive located over the years originated in Canada...

Anyone working on the R316-2 set? They are fairly scarce overall... Ive only seen 1 close set years ago being sold in a single lot with no reference to the "MADE IN USA" line. Only seen 1 Ruth too, sold it to Leon years ago

Last edited by fkw; 08-06-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:52 AM

Default 1929 Kashin Haines

Frank, the cards do not seem to be that scarce as there is always a nice group available on ebay. These are the cards that do not have the Made in USA designation. Very interesting set and many of the photos were later used in the 1933 Goudey set. How cool is that?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:28 AM
Jeff Britton

Default 1929 Kashin

I completed this set abut 5-6 years ago and sold it to Randy the day before he passed away, and I am currently working on another one.Great Set. Many of the photos are reputedly taken by Charles Conlan, and as someone has noted here many of the photos were reused in the 1933 Goudey set.

The set was distributed via 2 methods : Single card packs (very rare) and of course in 4 boxes of 25 cards each, with each box containing a Ruth. The 4 cards pulled from the Boxes Haines, Hadley, Seibold and Todt can be very tough to find and pop up very infrequently. The Todt is significantly easier than the other 3 , and I have seen more Seibolds than Hadley and Haines. The Made In USA or Candian variation is only slightly rarer than US version and I have never seen those cards go for a premium. Because of their oversized nature, thinner than normal card stock, high grade examples are very difficult to find. Centering can be problematic as well, particularly on Ruth.

B&L has a complete set currently in their auction which I am guessing is David's.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Larry

Thanks guys, for solving what had been a mystery for me. I'd wondered for some time why the Babe seemed to have 4X or more as many cards graded in the PSA pop report than any others.

Regards,

Larry
Old 10-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Kashin 5 x 7 Premiums

I figure this is a good place to ask this question even though it's an old thread. Does anyone have any information on the 5 x 7 Kashin Premiums? They seem to be the same poses as the regular Kashins but are on heavier card stock and are (of course) larger. The pictures have a better quality photo too. I have seen a few Ruths, a Gehrig (I think), Grove and maybe 1-2 others. Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pr316premiumruth.jpg (75.6 KB, 249 views)
Old 03-15-2015, 03:18 PM

Default Question on the Ruth

I have been trying to figure out what my ruth was for years....came across a listing on the mile high auction and thought it looked a lot like mine and just did a google search and saw this thread. Anyway, I appear to have one of these that I got years and years ago from my grandfathers estate. Mine is very clean but...slight discoloration on the bottom of the back....stock is a bit thick like a photo...any idea on value? I am gonna send in to get slabbed but just wanted some opinions since you guys know your stuff...a bit out of my realm of expertise
Old 03-15-2015, 03:51 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default 5x7s

These are gorgeous collectibles that I have been actively pursuing for a while. Mile High had a large group back in the fall, which I bought many of. Would love to find more if anyone has them.

The Ruth does seem to turn up more often than most of them - a nice one that's graded should fetch four figures, although less than many Ruths since not that many people collect them.