NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-10-2009, 05:49 PM

Default Emaciated SCD.

I used to love to go to a store in downtown Pittsburgh in the mid to late 1990s to pickup a Sports Collectors Digest. I just left a store in Robinson township in the Pittsburgh area after looking at the latest SCD that was 38 pages.

I know the subject has been touched on before, but this a sad state of affairs.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:56 PM
qualitycards

38 pages? Thats it?
I just re-upped (I let my subscription lapse in protest of CC, and let them know about it too!)
Was a steady subscriber since '81. In the old days it would take an entire weekend to read.
Guess it means, I'll have plenty of time nowadays.

Last edited by Jay Wolt; 07-10-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:45 PM

To put a positive spin on this reality, anyone who has old copies of BCM should dig 'em out and have a great, enjoayable read! Check out the dated prices and, most importantly, the hilarious articles! Do yourselves a favor; it will help you remember how much fun it could be twenty years ago!

As a humorous sidebar, some of the retail autograph prices have actually *decreased* from that era. In the early 1990's, one dealer was offering Bill Terry 8X10s at $125 apiece! Cool Papa Bells at $100! Get 'em while they're hot!
Old 07-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Scott

Default nolan ryan

nolan ryan 68 topps rookie was worth more in the early 1990's then it is now...(same with mattingly 84 donruss and most if not all 80's 90's stuff)......
Old 07-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default 38 pages?

I think when the publication gets that small they have to start handing them out free at the supermarket...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Jon Canfield

Maybe with cc gone, it will build back up over time although it may be too late. Did we ever figure out who left who (did cc ditch SCD or other way around)?
Old 07-12-2009, 06:30 PM

Shame, I remember when SCD and BBHN (the Barnings) were fierce competitiors and were at their zenith. Their ads and articles drew me in to the pre-war area of collecting.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Joe M.

Yeh TBOB, the Stomman's (spelling)? were the original SCD publishers, I remember both mags, it would take a week to go thru SCD, they published 2 times a month. The downfall began when they began publishing every week.

Joe
Old 07-13-2009, 05:23 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

The hobby has changed quite a bit since they began publication. Since the overwhelming majority of desirable vintage material is sold through the auction route which can be publicized via email, there is much less need to advertise in the printed media. Perhaps if SCD is reduced to a monthly publication, dealers will find it cost effective to advertise their auctions in it and the publication might increase its subscription base.