NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Banned

Default Babe Ruth 1948 wirephoto

I'm typically not a fan of "What is this worth" posts, but because I'm out of my element on this and have tried and failed to research it, I'm going to give myself a pass and ask.

About 20 years ago at a newspaper at which I worked, I picked up this original International News photo of Babe Ruth's last appearance at Yankee Stadium. There were two originals of this in our photo morgue, and the librarian was nice enough to let me have this one. I wanted it only because of the Indians connection.

The original teletype paper is attached to the back with this description:

The Bambino retires the 'Big 3'

New York .... Before the start of the game between the New York Yankees and Cleveland Indians, at New York's Yankee Stadium, the world of baseball paused to pay homage to one of its all-time greats, Babe Ruth. The Bambino is shown, (above), doffing his hat to the crowd as he makes an appearance in his famous number 3 Yankee uniform, thus making him the last Yankee ever to be allowed to wear the number 3 suit. Immediately after the Bambino takes off the uniform it will be turned over to Paul S. Kerr, secretary of baseball's Hall of Fame. It will be placed in the Cooperstown, N.Y., museum along with other mementoes of the Babe's great days. In the dugout behind the Babe, are members of Cleveland's team.

6/13/48 Photo by Harry Hirsch

The photo measures 8 x 10 inches, has an International News rubber stamp on the reverse and has no problems as far as condition goes (the small imperfections above and below Ruth are glares from scanning).

I keep my eyes open when I see Ruth photos at auction, and I've not seen his one. But then again, I'm not a Yankees collector, so it'd be easy for me to miss it. My guess is because this has historical significance, it might be a desirable photo.

I'd welcome any thoughts regarding its value.

Thanks,

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babe.jpg (72.7 KB, 101 views)
Old 06-07-2009, 11:27 PM

Ordinarily I'd price it in the $100-200 range. However, if that pictures the last time the number was ever worn by a Yankee, the price might double. There is no price guide for photos and auction prices vary, so I'm giving a conservative idea.

I haven't seen the photo before either.

Last edited by drc; 06-07-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:37 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

I have no idea what it is worth, but I just wanted to say, what a great picture. It's teriffic to see the admiration of the Indian players and the fans. You can feel the warmth of the moment.

A picture truly is worth a thousand words.

Mike

Last edited by sports-rings; 06-09-2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: typ-o