NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Default ty cobb back

Posted By: steve

was ty cobb the only one with the ty cobb back or was there other players with the ty cobb back and is it true there is only one ty cobb with the ty cobb back in existance

Old 06-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Default ty cobb back

Posted By: dd

Ty Cobb is the only player with a Ty Cobb reverse and there is more than one example. There are fewer Cobb's (with Cobb reverse) than there are T206 Wagner's, but more than T206 Doyle variations.

IMHO Cobb with Cobb reverse is not part of the T206 set.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Default ty cobb back

Posted By: leon

there are approximately 12 known. I noticed you are asking a lot of questions that can be easily answered if you use the search function on this main page. Please spare us a little bit, use it, and if you don't find an answer, come back and ask. Three questions about a value of a T206 Wagner, in different threads, in one day, is too many also...best regards...moderator dude (leon)

Old 06-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Default ty cobb back

Posted By: anthony

you can check all the backs in scarcity order at t206museum.com. some collectors dont consider this to be one of the backs...i've yet to see any player other than cobb with the ty cobb back, and i've only seen scans/photos, never first hand.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Default ty cobb back

Posted By: JimB

Leon is right; there are 12 known. All have the Cobb red portrait front.
JimB
P.S. I do consider it a legit T206 back for reasons discussed in several previous threads.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Default ty cobb back

Posted By: leon

But since we are here..... If the T206 Cobb/Cobb is a T206 issue, and not a Coupon (T213)issue, then why do they have the glossy fronts, like T213's? I am in the camp of it not being a T206 issue..but it's a good friendly debate...now I am going to heed my own advice and use the search function to see what the arguments were last time this topic came up...if I change my mind I will post again.....

Old 06-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Default ty cobb back

Posted By: davidcycleback

Leon, it's a refractor.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Default ty cobb back

Posted By: JimB

Leon,
I will assume you mean T213 Type 1 since Types 2 and 3 have the names written in blue ink unlike T206s which were in brown ink. My first response would be that the Coupon sets were issued by one brand, but the T206, if we are to think of it as one set as the ACC catoguers did, was issued with many different brand advertisements on the back. One quality that makes the T206 brands all common, other than front images, is the fact that they were all brands owned by the American Tobacco Company. I don't know that Coupon brand falls into that category. Maybe other here know. If so, then an argument could be made that Coupon Type 1 should should be included among T206 brands. The shallack type front on them would be a unique physical characteristic, but at least one other T206 brand, American Beauty has a unique physical characteristic as well. It's dimensions are thinner, width-wise, than all the other T206s. But we don't ever think about pulling them from the T206 set.

I think an interesting bit of research would be to see if Coupon Type 1s all correspond to one of the particular series of T206 images. In other words: Are they all of fronts that were in the 150 series of T206s? If so, and Coupon was a part of the ATC, then I think a good argument could be made that it should be included among T206s.
JimB