NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-12-2015, 11:29 AM
An$on

Default Card Shows for Pre-War Cards

So, it's literally been more than 20 years since I was at a card show. Realizing the open-ended nature of this question, how easy is it to find deals on pre-war cards at shows these days? By 'deals', more specifically, I'm talking in comparison to what I can pay for things on eBay.

For example, I'm currently focusing on a lower-graded T-206 set and don't have much problem finding common-back issues of commons in P/F/G- condition for anywhere between $9.00 - $15.00. They often go for a little more, but my point is that there are times you can get them for that price on auctions that start at $.99. I just bought a few in the past several days averaging out to about $11.00 per card.

Can similar deals be had for lower-grade pre-war cards at shows? The reason I ask is because if you check out BIN prices or look for them on websites, etc., the prices for those T-206 cards are almost always in the $15.00 - $30.00 range for commons in those grades. I'm wondering if the pricing at shows will more reflect that than what I can get on eBay (understanding the benefits, obviously, of purchasing in person, seeing the card in person, etc).

Thanks for any help/insight to those of you that regularly make it out to shows.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:08 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I usually get to either the Philly Show or Westchester NY shows and it really depends. A couple things to think about. At a show, the dealer has to bring all their inventory, pay their table fees, buy food, possibly a hotel room, worry about theft, spend 1-3 days confined to the table, etc. In short, before even selling a thing, dealers can easily be into a show for several hundred dollars with no guarantee to make any money and can't spend that time doing anything else. Conversely, as the customer, you get to see the card in hand to judge the condition and immediately have the card.

In addition, an auction is not the same as a retail environment. In an auction you are only paying a little more than what somewhat else is willing to pay. So another person, other than the seller, decides how much you will spend. At a show, the dealer is not required to sell (and often they don't) unless they get what they want. Therefore, I really don't think it is fair to expect to spend the same amount on a straight auction as you would at a show. I think a better comparison is can you find the prices better then the BIN on Ebay. Of course that depends. Sometimes you can. Sometimes you can't. But at least you can talk prices with the dealer face to face and judge their willingness to negotiate. I know there are certainly some dealers I basically just skip over as I know their prices are outrageous and they won't budge, and others I will spend a lot of time looking at almost every card as I know they will be fair with the prices. One other thing you can do at shows is learn about different issues, chat with other collectors, and of course, occasionally find a really good buy.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 03-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Jason Wells

In my experience most cards can be had cheaper on Ebay than at shows. Im not above checking prices on my iPhone while im browsing for comparison. However, to me there is something special about finding a card your looking for at a show and ill gladly pay a little premium for that good feeling. Plus I get to use my son to help look. Got him trained to see the Red Borders. Just send him around the room and he will find all the good booths
Old 03-12-2015, 12:17 PM
Joe

From my experience the prices will not reflect what you can get on eBay on auctions that start at $.99 – BUT I understand that and don’t have a problem with that. The fact is these guys need to make some money and when you factor in all the show costs, travel, hotel, etc.. they need to get some margin on their sales. Buying something for $10 and selling it for $11 at a show, ’aint gonna cut it.

I found I can get to a price point on lower grade commons at a show when I buy a larger amount and work a deal to bring the cost per card down. I can do that more at shows often, than ebay. There is also a premium I am willing to pay for inspecting the card in person, PLUS the experience at a show cannot be beat. Personally, I get very little reward from buying on ebay, and attending shows and picking up some items on my list (even if I haven’t gotten the best deal), is so much more rewarding.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:10 PM
An$on

Thanks, guys - all good points and pretty much what I figured. I'm thinking about trying to get out to one one of these days, but just have to go with the mindset of maybe getting lucky and striking a deal rather than going with the intent of buying a lot.

I get that they need to make a profit and obviously can't begrudge them that. As a buyer, of course, I'll save money wherever I can. But I'd also be willing to spend slightly more with the ability of seeing/getting cards in person.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
I found I can get to a price point on lower grade commons at a show when I buy a larger amount and work a deal to bring the cost per card down. I can do that more at shows often, than ebay.
+1 on this. The only time I come out lower than eBay prices at shows is when I buy multiple cards from one seller. If I can find a card I like that will cover their overhead for the show (maybe $300 or so), then the less expensive cards get really cheap, really quickly. It's a good way to build sets.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:38 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I can't stress enough how far building a rapport will go. When you get to a table, smile and say hello...even introduce yourself. Strike up a conversation...compliment something in their case. I don't set up often, but when I do and some guy comes to my table with a sour-puss attitude the chances of me giving him a deal are slim. There have been plenty of times where I will give the next guy a better deal on something just because he was cool and we had a good little conversation. Will it work every time? Absolutely not...but it will increase your chances 10-fold for getting a good deal on some things.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:53 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I can't stress enough how far building a rapport will go. When you get to a table, smile and say hello...even introduce yourself. Strike up a conversation...compliment something in their case. I don't set up often, but when I do and some guy comes to my table with a sour-puss attitude the chances of me giving him a deal are slim. There have been plenty of times where I will give the next guy a better deal on something just because he was cool and we had a good little conversation. Will it work every time? Absolutely not...but it will increase your chances 10-fold for getting a good deal on some things.

right its funny how the business aspect is in this hobby compared to real business.....

.if someone was a sour puss and was buying a car from me and said 'how much you want for it, I need to know now or im leaving'..if he wants to pay an amount that makes me make a profit that I want I don't care if he is roses and tulips or a sour puss...I just quote the price..i don't make it personal.....but sportscard dealers a lot of them don't have to sell any cards and they are there for the hobby more than the business a lot of times..and would rather sell a card cheaper to someone they don't classify as a 'sour puss'....they take it personal.....

...but in the regular business world , heck we sell stuff to the chineese govt to make money even if they have human rights issues (ultimate sour puss) compared to selling to a country with much better human rights issues as long as the price is right....

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-12-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I usually get to either the Philly Show or Westchester NY shows and it really depends. A couple things to think about. At a show, the dealer has to bring all their inventory, pay their table fees, buy food, possibly a hotel room, worry about theft, spend 1-3 days confined to the table, etc. In short, before even selling a thing, dealers can easily be into a show for several hundred dollars with no guarantee to make any money and can't spend that time doing anything else. Conversely, as the customer, you get to see the card in hand to judge the condition and immediately have the card.

In addition, an auction is not the same as a retail environment. In an auction you are only paying a little more than what somewhat else is willing to pay. So another person, other than the seller, decides how much you will spend. At a show, the dealer is not required to sell (and often they don't) unless they get what they want. Therefore, I really don't think it is fair to expect to spend the same amount on a straight auction as you would at a show. I think a better comparison is can you find the prices better then the BIN on Ebay. Of course that depends. Sometimes you can. Sometimes you can't. But at least you can talk prices with the dealer face to face and judge their willingness to negotiate. I know there are certainly some dealers I basically just skip over as I know their prices are outrageous and they won't budge, and others I will spend a lot of time looking at almost every card as I know they will be fair with the prices. One other thing you can do at shows is learn about different issues, chat with other collectors, and of course, occasionally find a really good buy.

DJ
Well said!
Old 03-12-2015, 10:03 PM
Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
+1

This is good advice for dealers also.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
In my experience most cards can be had cheaper on Ebay than at shows. Im not above checking prices on my iPhone while im browsing for comparison. However, to me there is something special about finding a card your looking for at a show and ill gladly pay a little premium for that good feeling. Plus I get to use my son to help look. Got him trained to see the Red Borders. Just send him around the room and he will find all the good booths
True.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:09 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I took my daughter (12) to the Philly show last weekend. SO much more fun collecting with her. Of course her favorite item was Al's business card from LOTG ..Luckily she is easily amused (saves me money). Seriously she is really starting to get into it. We are building the T51 Murad together and were able to get 25 decent cards from a bargain bin at the show.