NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-09-2023, 02:36 PM
Greg

Default 1946 Negro League Yearbook -- Assistance Needed

Took a chance and purchased this but I don't have a ton of familiarity or expertise in yearbooks. Would love feedback from anyone who can provide it. The more research I do, the worse I feel about its potential for being authentic, but perhaps the more modern binding and duller color don't inherently mean it's not legit.

Roy Campanella
Zack Wheat
Pre-War
Jackie, Ruth, Cobb, Tickets, Type 1 Photos, Trout

http://plaschkethysweaterisargyle.blogspot.com

Roy Campanella PC
Zack Wheat PC
Random Vintage
T206s

Successful Net54 Transactions: 10
Old 08-09-2023, 02:41 PM
Chase

That version does not look like one I have ever seen however, plastic spiral binding was around in the 1940s.
Old 08-09-2023, 03:02 PM
Aaron

Unfortunately, the cover looks to be a photocopy. Here is an original from a Goldin auction last year for comparison:

https://goldin.co/item/1946-negro-ba...ite-pagesgfzfm
Old 08-09-2023, 05:46 PM
Hank Thomas

Yours is a copy, without a doubt. It's basically worthless, hope you didn't pay too much.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:17 PM
Phil

I used to own a copy, this is a reprint. The original comes as a magazine that is stapled, not spiral bound.

Phil aka Tere1071

Complete 1953 Bowman Color, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1975 Topps Baseball sets under revision as the budget and wife allows

Under construction:
1970 Topps Baseball - missing over 100 cards, mostly after #450 and the three insert sets

1971 Topps Coins- 107/153

1974 Topps Baseball Washington variations
Old 08-10-2023, 09:43 AM
Larry Grigsby

My first impression was looks like it was made at Kinko's.
Old 08-10-2023, 11:24 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregZakwin View Post
Took a chance and purchased this but I don't have a ton of familiarity or expertise in yearbooks. Would love feedback from anyone who can provide it. The more research I do, the worse I feel about its potential for being authentic, but perhaps the more modern binding and duller color don't inherently mean it's not legit.
Greg, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but if you're going to be collecting high-end memorabilia like an original of this would be, you need to 1) learn a LOT more about what true vintage stuff looks like, and 2) Exercise extreme caution about shelling out real dollars for worthless junk like this. The fact that you bought this and had even the slightest thought it might be real tells me you've done neither.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:21 PM
Greg

Appreciate almost everyone's response, thank you for the confirmation

Roy Campanella
Zack Wheat
Pre-War

Roy Campanella PC
Zack Wheat PC
Random Vintage
T206s

Old 08-11-2023, 10:26 PM
Greg

So many things I'd like to say, but I'll pass. Not worth the energy.

Next time, a no works too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Greg, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but if you're going to be collecting high-end memorabilia like an original of this would be, you need to 1) learn a LOT more about what true vintage stuff looks like, and 2) Exercise extreme caution about shelling out real dollars for worthless junk like this. The fact that you bought this and had even the slightest thought it might be real tells me you've done neither.

Roy Campanella
Zack Wheat
Pre-War

Roy Campanella PC
Zack Wheat PC
Random Vintage
T206s

Old 08-12-2023, 08:06 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregZakwin View Post
So many things I'd like to say, but I'll pass. Not worth the energy. Next time, a no works too.
No idea what that means, but if I came off as too hard, I apologize. My intent was to express my concern that you would pay for this as a real program and alert you in no uncertain terms as to how much more caution you need to exercise before you shell out money for your collection. Anybody that knows me can tell you that I was trying to help you.
Old 08-12-2023, 08:53 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigsby View Post
My first impression was looks like it was made at Kinko's.
Kinkos is out of business, taken over by FedEx so long ago that if this is a Kinkos copy, it's darned near old enough to be legit!

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 08-12-2023, 08:56 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Wow, real nice way to introduce someone to the world of memorabilia.

I'll make certain I consult you going forward with any authentication questions.

Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 08-12-2023, 10:28 AM

It's 2023. Everything has to be said and done with kid gloves or else somebody's anxiety issues get triggered.
Old 08-12-2023, 10:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Wow, real nice way to introduce someone to the world of memorabilia.

I'll make certain I consult you going forward with any authentication questions.
I have known Hank (hi Hank) for around 20+ yrs. He was truly only trying to help, although, I can see how you might be a bit offended at the approach. But rest assured, there isn't a nicer guy around.

And from own personal experiences, I used to learn the hard way, and still do many times!! And I will be 62 soon...
Old 08-12-2023, 11:06 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
It's 2023. Everything has to be said and done with kid gloves or else somebody's anxiety issues get triggered.
My anxiety went up and he wasn't even talking to me. I didn't know anything about this item until this thread, so I learned a little. Looks like the originals go for $650.

To me a copy of a book is better than a reprinted card because you can read the copy of the book and place it on a shelf.
Old 08-12-2023, 11:58 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I will be 62 soon...

Says one old SOB to another...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-12-2023 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-12-2023, 11:59 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
No idea what that means, but if I came off as too hard, I apologize. My intent was to express my concern that you would pay for this as a real program and alert you in no uncertain terms as to how much more caution you need to exercise before you shell out money for your collection. Anybody that knows me can tell you that I was trying to help you.
I apologize, Hank, for jumping in where I didn't belong.

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 08-12-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post

To me a copy of a book is better than a reprinted card because you can read the copy of the book and place it on a shelf.
I agree. On a semi-related note, more modern books can become collectibles in a hurry if they target niche markets and/or have short print runs. Two things in life that you tend to learn through experience: if you find such a book and know you're going to make good, hands-on use of it, buy at least one extra copy that remains on the shelf, not to be touched. You'll feel easier about reading your other copy that way, and maybe cash in with the coddled copy. Similarly, if you find a great pair of comfortable shoes, go back to the same place you bought them and buy two more pairs. You'll thank yourself constantly.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 08-12-2023 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-12-2023, 04:18 PM
Jim Reynolds

To play devil's advocate, I don't see anywhere that Greg said he paid $500 for this hoping for it to be real. He could have paid $5.00 and still hoped it to be real. I think the point of it was that he was just trying to determine it to be real or not.
Old 08-12-2023, 08:50 PM
Hank Thomas

Thanks for the support, guys. And for my part I will try to be more sensitive next time I see somebody throwing their money away or maybe just leave it alone.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:47 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

Hey Hank - I don't know you, but I'm in your camp.

That said, IF a "modest amount" was spent on the Yearbook - it was a cheap, good lesson!

CHEERS!
Old 08-13-2023, 04:21 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
Hey Hank - I don't know you, but I'm in your camp.
That said, IF a "modest amount" was spent on the Yearbook - it was a cheap, good lesson! CHEERS!
Yes, and we've all been there at one time or another!