NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-20-2017, 07:18 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Has anyone figured out a good way of getting positive images from these?
Depends on whether you're just wanting the images to show off, or use them for reprinting or other purposes that would require a better quality / hi-res image. If just showing off here, the method Andrew offered, or placing the negative on a light box and photographing. Placing a light source over the negative on a flatbed scanner could work as well, though the results were mixed the few times I've tried that (hard to get even backlighting across larger negatives).

Otherwise, there are a handful of flatbed scanner models that will handle larger negatives, though most are out of production (I believe Epson's V800 model, a slight update from the V700, may be the only mid-level flatbed scanner still in production that is capable of handling larger-than-35mm negatives and transparencies?) Depending on how many you have to scan, investing in specific hardware for the task may or may not be worth it.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:02 PM
Bry@n

Here is a whopper of a post on the few that I have:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=247848
Old 11-21-2017, 09:23 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Depends on whether you're just wanting the images to show off, or use them for reprinting or other purposes that would require a better quality / hi-res image. If just showing off here, the method Andrew offered, or placing the negative on a light box and photographing. Placing a light source over the negative on a flatbed scanner could work as well, though the results were mixed the few times I've tried that (hard to get even backlighting across larger negatives).

Otherwise, there are a handful of flatbed scanner models that will handle larger negatives, though most are out of production (I believe Epson's V800 model, a slight update from the V700, may be the only mid-level flatbed scanner still in production that is capable of handling larger-than-35mm negatives and transparencies?) Depending on how many you have to scan, investing in specific hardware for the task may or may not be worth it.
I would like to create high-quality prints and frame them for my man-cave. I hate to spend $700 on a scanner when I already have two scanners, but it sounds like this is the only solution.

Is there anyone here who is capable and would be willing to create hi-res scans of glass-plate negatives, in exchange for some service I could offer? (like the deal in 'the Godfather')
Old 11-21-2017, 10:58 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Scott,

There are not too many flatbed scanners being made anymore designed for film. I have an old Microtek pro film scanner which can do flatbed scans up to 8x10 negatives, including glass. I would suggest calling B&H Photo in NYC as they may be able to find this type for under $400.00. Most of the popular scanners now are set up to scan 35mm negs, transparencies (slides) and medium format of regular film but not glass. I was at a photo expo in NYC last month where I saw a scanner that will handle glass, but it was $1800.00.

You could also pick up a copy of Shutterbug magazine and look at the ads in the back for lab services. You may find one that can do glass. I know of one in Belmont, MA that could probably handle them, but you may be able to find one closer to home.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 11-21-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Scott,

There are not too many flatbed scanners being made anymore designed for film. I have an old Microtek pro film scanner which can do flatbed scans up to 8x10 negatives, including glass. I would suggest calling B&H Photo in NYC as they may be able to find this type for under $400.00. Most of the popular scanners now are set up to scan 35mm negs, transparencies (slides) and medium format of regular film but not glass. I was at a photo expo in NYC last month where I saw a scanner that will handle glass, but it was $1800.00.

You could also pick up a copy of Shutterbug magazine and look at the ads in the back for lab services. You may find one that can do glass. I know of one in Belmont, MA that could probably handle them, but you may be able to find one closer to home.
Thanks. I have a great scanner (Canon 9000F) that does everything BUT large format glass negatives, so I understand what you are saying. I thought for sure I could make the Canon work, but anyone who has ever gone through this will understand the frustration and the impossibility of the task.

I do not collect glass negatives or negatives of any type. I purchased these five because I collect billiard memorabilia, especially if it is related to Willie Hoppe. I had never seen these particular images (nor has anyone else), so I sprung for them at auction about five years ago, and still do not know what the other three look like quality-wise. They were taken in a natural pool room environment (as opposed to professional staged shots or publicity photos), so they are especially appealing to me. I figured I could get some huge prints of the better ones for my pool room, but gave up and put them on ebay.

Now I will remove them and resume the project.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Scott,

I just dropped a note to a pro-lab I use for developing. I will let you know what they say.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 11-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Scott,

I am posting this just in case there are others that may wish to use their services. They are a great company that does high quality work. Their specialty is taking digital files and printing them on silver halide fiber paper aka real photo paper with chemicals. Their website is fairly self explanatory, but they are always available to answer questions.

Hello Michael,

We are able to make prints from glass plate negatives. The largest size we can scan at the studio being 11x17. This being said we are very willing to do both the scanning and print of the images at whichever size your friend sees fit. Let us know if you have any other inquiries or questions.

Looking forward to working with you,

Hannah

Digital Silver Imaging

9 Brighton Street

Belmont MA 02478

info@digitalsilverimaging.com

617-489-0035

www.digitalsilverimaging.com

Last edited by Michael B; 11-21-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:00 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I would like to create high-quality prints and frame them for my man-cave. I hate to spend $700 on a scanner when I already have two scanners, but it sounds like this is the only solution.

Is there anyone here who is capable and would be willing to create hi-res scans of glass-plate negatives, in exchange for some service I could offer? (like the deal in 'the Godfather')
I went to a local photo studio - the kind that does high school graduation photos. I was told that they can scan 4 x 5 negatives and turn them into high quality prints - exactly the same quality as if they had the original negative. You should be able to find someone local. I just had too many to go that route. I had an old canon scanner that worked great, but I can't get the damn thing to work right anymore.

And, if you can find someone who has a darkroom in their basement, most of the old enlargers came with a 4 x 5 negative holder. Many high schools still use film cameras in their classes and still use enlargers. You might actually contact a local high school. The only issue is you won't be able to clean up the image using photoshop, so any scratches, etc. will appear on the print.

A third, and maybe best, option is a place that does fine art printing - a place where a professional photographer would go to have large prints made. There are still photographers who shoot 4 x 5.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:39 AM
Belltown Vintage

Lots of great ideas - thanks.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:31 AM
Mike Janes

Have scanned thousands of negatives, glass in the hundreds. Have a restoration guy as well that is cheap ($1-15), overseas.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:11 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

here's a simple hack for a flatbed scanner: get a piece of 1/4" white Plexiglas, put it over the item on the scanner bed with the lid up, and shine several lights on it. You may have to run it a few times to figure out any hot spots of too intense light but you should be able to get a nice scan of the neg. Then use a 'negative' function in photo software and you will have a positive image.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-24-2017, 07:49 PM
Bry@n

I bought an Epson 4990. It is an older model but does a great job, though it took some tweaks to make the software work. You can find them on eBay for $125-$175 shipped, though there isn't always one listed so it might take some time.