NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-22-2017, 07:10 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Show us your T206 "proof's"......

* * * * * * * * * * T206 Reflections, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * *

v...................................... 5-card proof strip with Wagner ......................................v
. . . .

The most significant find of T206 "proofs" is the unique Wagner 5-card strip (shown here). Art Martineau mentioned it in a 2005 thread.... T206 proofs

This 5-card strip was first acquired by Bill Zimpleman and Wayne Varner in the Pittsburgh area in the 1970's. They accquired it from a gentleman who had
purchased Wagner's house. In the early 1980's, Barry Halper acquired this strip from Bill and Wayne.

Here is a reprint card of another unique T206 proof....Eddie Collins (with bat) that American Litho (ALC) did not issue (for whatever reasons). My theory is
Collins (like his boss, Connie Mack, and Eddie Plank) didn't do tobacco in any form. However, ALC printed Collins in the 350 Series. So much for my theory.

Had ALC continued this Collins card into their regular production line, they would have printed it with a PIEDMONT 150 back first. And, perhaps some of the
other T-brands in the 150 Series. At the start of each Series press runs, the PIEDMONT backs were printed first on the T206's (and, at greater number than
any of the other T-brands).

I certainly ain't any kind of expert regarding T206 proofs. This Puttman proof is the only one I have....so, I leave it up to you guys with all these proofs to
show-n-tell us all about them.

Where's Johnny V when we need him

TED Z
Old 05-23-2017, 09:45 PM

Default Ted

AWESOME THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been meaning to post in it....

I have been super busy, but have been meaning to write a few articles.....especially on proofs

I will post tomorrow on the 206 proofs....you are onto something!

150 subjects hint hint
Old 05-24-2017, 11:12 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Show us your T206 "proof's"......

Hey Johnny

Great to hear from you.

Your the man to tell us about these T206 proofs.

Take care, good buddy

TED Z
Old 05-27-2017, 08:48 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Needless to say....UZIT cards are extremely tough....let us see your UZIT's

* * * * * * * * * * * * T206 Reference, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * *

. .

T206's with the UZIT back were issued in the Spring of 1911. The UZIT and the AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 backs were printed together at the tail-end of the T206 press runs.
On display are the six UZIT cards in my collection. I'd say the UZIT back is the 2nd toughest of the various T206 T-brands. Of course, the BROAD LEAF 460 is the 1st.

Now, I'm not dismissing the brown LENOX, nor the brown OLD MILL cards. But in my opinion, these two backs resulted from printer's mistaken ink application (most likely
a one time error in the printing process). They were not regular issue cards. Otherwise, we would see many more of them.

. .

58 subjects with the UZIT back have been confirmed to date (5/31/2018).

350/460 series...............................28 subjects

Berger
Bradley (bat)
Burch (fielding)
Cobb (bat off shoulder)
Conroy (bat)
Crawford (bat)
Jennings (one hand)
Jennings (two hands)
Jordan (bat)
Lajoie (bat)
Lake (no ball-St Louis)
Leach (cap)
Leifield (bat)
Manning (pitching)
McQuillan (bat)
Mullin (bat)
Overall (yellow sky)
Pelty (vertical)
Pfeister (throwing)
F. Smith (Chicago & Boston)
Steinfeldt (bat)
Tinker (bat off)
Wagner (bat on right shoulder)
Doc White (pitching)
Wilhelm (bat)
Willetts
Willis (bat)
Wiltse (pitching)

I am quite confident that the above list of 28 of the 350/460 subjects is complete (as it coincides with the confirmed
list of AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 subjects for the 350/460 series).

460-only series..............................30 subjects

Abbaticchio (blue sleeves)
Ball (Cleveland)
Bell (follow thru)
Bridwell (portrait-cap)
Howie Camnitz (arms up)
Harry Camnitz (arms side)
Chance (bat)
Chase (trophy)
Crandall (portrait-cap)
Frill
Geyer
Herzog (Boston)
Hummel
Lake (ball-St Louis)
Latham
Marquard (follow thru)
McGraw (portrait-cap)
McGraw (glove at hip)
Merkle (throwing)
Murray (portrait)

Oldring (bat)
Overall (blue sky)
Schaefer (Washington)
Schlei (portrait)
Schlei (bat)
Schulte (back view)
Seymour (portrait)
Sheckard (glove)
Tinker (bat on)
Wiltse (portrait-cap)

The 460-only series list is still a work in progress....I expect that as many as 16 more UZIT cards from this series will eventually be discovered.

Stay tuned....in the next post here more stuff regarding the UZIT cards will be presented.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 07-10-2018 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Updated list.....added Hummel
Old 05-30-2017, 07:06 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Spring of 1911, T206 era ends......and, the start of the "Golden era" begins

* * * * * * * * * * * * T206 Reference, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At the beginning of 1911, American Litho (ALC) launched their Gold-Border series of cards. The T80 cards depicting worldwide Military subjects was one of the first issues.
The artwork of the T80's is very distinctive, and their gold borders are quite ornate. By the Spring of 1911, ALC had concluded their T206 press runs. Last batch of T206's
were printed circa Jan > March 1911 with AMERICAN BEAUTY 460, LENOX (black & brown**), and UZIT backs. These T206 subjects were from Group B (re Post 8) of the
350/460 series and subjects from the 460-only series.

T80 cards

......also, T80's exist with extremely rare OLD MILL backs

Now imagine this...... opening a LENOX (or UZIT) cigarette pack in the Spring of 1911 and finding a T206 card and a T80 card in it.... WOW ! !
An ALC ledger sheet (dated Feb 1911) exists instructing ATC employees at Factory #30 to insert both a T206 and a T80 in a LENOX (or UZIT)
cigarette pack.

Indeed, 1911 was a very ambitious year for American Lithographic in terms of Tobacco premiums. Listed here are some of the sets produced in 1911......

T201 cards

Fez Cigarette issue, T77 Lighthouse cards, and T205 cards......the T205 Minor Leaguer's (12-cards) were printed & issued circa..Fall/ Winter of 1911.

Circa 1911 Gold-Border Tobacco premiums

208 = T205 Baseball

50 = T42 Birds

30 = T43 Birds

50 = T56 Emblems

100 = T57 Fables

50 = T69 Historic Homes

50 = T80 Military Series

50 = T99 Sights & Scenes of the World

T99 Sights & Scenes of the World

I'll gladly answer any questions you may have regarding this stuff.

** Note....I will elaborate more on the T206 brown LENOX cards in a future post.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 04-13-2020 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Update scans.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:41 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default ATC Factory's associated with the White-Bordered cards (1909 - 1911)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * T206 Reference, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On display here are vintage postcards (circa 1910) depicting three of the nine ATC Factory's which manufactured tobacco products during the 1909 - 1911 timeframe.
Also listed are the other five Factory's which produced ATC tobacco brands during this era.

Factory #25, Richmond, VA

ATC tobacco brands...... PIEDMONT, AMERICAN BEAUTY, BROAD LEAF, CAROLINA BRIGHTS, CYCLE, DRUM, OLD MILL, SOVEREIGN, SWEET CAPORAL

.................................................. .................................................. .........................v....... Factory #25 .......v
. .

Factory #42, Durham, NC

ATC tobacco brands...... AMERICAN BEAUTY, PIEDMONT, SWEET CAPORAL

AMERICAN BEAUTY 460, Factory #42
. .

Factory #33, Reidsville, NC

ATC tobacco brand...... Ty Cobb Smoking Tobacco

Factory #30, Brooklyn, NY

ATC tobacco brands...... LENOX, SWEET CAPORAL, TOLSTOI, UZIT

. .

. ..

And, here are the other five Factory's manufacturing ATC tobacco brands during the 1909 - 1911 era......

Factory #6, Middletown, Ohio........ POLAR BEAR

Factory #17, Virginia..................... El PRINCIPE de GALES

Factory #649, New York State....... HINDU, SWEET CAPORAL

I'm including these two Factory's which included 1910 COUPON cards and RED CROSS cards with their Cigarettes. Since these cards were printed by
American Lithographic during 1910-1911 timeframe, and are identical with the T206 cards**. No need for "controversy", guys.

Factory #3, New Orleans, LA.......... COUPON **

Factory #10, Jersey City, NJ........... RED CROSS

Let's see some more pictures of these ATC Factory's....if you have postcards, photos, publications, etc., please post them....thanks.

** Note......the 1910 COUPON cards were printed on "soft" cardboard because they did NOT serve as cigarette pack stiffeners. The initial marketing of
this brand was not in packs, but in cartons labelled "COUPON" Cigarettes which contained 100's of loose cigarettes.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 11-24-2021 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Re-arranged scans.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:06 PM
Sean Costello

Hey Ted, some of the Coupon Type-3 cards were distributed from Factory 8. Do you know where that one was located? (I know that type-3s are not T206-similar, but I'm still curious.)