NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-08-2021, 08:25 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Default Goldin

Am I wrong, or did Goldin just extend the auction that was supposed to end tonight for another 24 hours without making an announcement or releasing a statement?

Edit: Got an email at 10:28 EST. Around 26 minutes after they extended the auction for the day.

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 08-08-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:28 PM
Pete Sycks

I thought it was going to be in extended bidding, then I see another day. I'm equally confused.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 08-08-2021, 08:29 PM
J3ff Thr0m

Default email

email just came out.....24 hours added.

Think they will retract all bids after 9PM Cent/10PM Eastern? Seems they let everyone expose their bidding strategies.

Last edited by Thromdog; 08-08-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:30 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
I thought it was going to be in extended bidding, then I see another day. I'm equally confused.
It seemed like the site was slow for maybe the last 5 minutes before extended bidding. Not sure if that is what did it.

But with millions of dollars of items up for bid, and sellers and bidders watching and waiting, it seems like a decision like that warrants a tweet at the very least.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:36 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

https://twitter.com/goldinauctions/s...288432129?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2021, 08:37 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

I was high bidder on a few items as time was ticking down, and pretty happy about that.............................................. ....

Only to discover that, yet again, there will be an extra day added to the auction.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:43 PM
Ryan Phi

Why even hold an auction if the plans are to move everything to their own network. Get everything moved over, test it, then have the auction. How many times can the same mistake be repeated. Its essentially incompetence.

Due to a server crash to overwhelming traffic spike, per our prior messaging if such an event occurs , the auction will now close Tomorrow Monday August 8th at 10pm eastern for initial bidding . All session 2 lots will remain open until then. We are sorry for the inconvenience and remind everyone we have been working aggressively to get off our existing 3rd party platform and onto our own network powered by AWS. This will be occurring shortly so we can avoid these issues and handle any traffic demands. The auction remains open and bids may be placed at https://goldinauctions.com/catalog.aspx

Last edited by philo98; 08-08-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:45 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo98 View Post
Why even hold an auction if the plans are to move everything to their own network. Get everything moved over, test it, then have the auction. How many times can the same mistake be repeated. Its essentially incompetence.

Due to a server crash to overwhelming traffic spike, per our prior messaging if such an event occurs , the auction will now close Tomorrow Monday August 8th at 10pm eastern for initial bidding . All session 2 lots will remain open until then. We are sorry for the inconvenience and remind everyone we have been working aggressively to get off our existing 3rd party platform and onto our own network powered by AWS. This will be occurring shortly so we can avoid these issues and handle any traffic demands. The auction remains open and bids may be placed at https://goldinauctions.com/catalog.aspx
With over 8,000 lots in this auction (I believe that is the largest they ever had) I understand running the auction. I'm more confused why they didn't use some of the precautions they instituted in the past around auction closing.

Edit: And I wish there was more communication. If there were traffic issues for 2 hours before the end of the auction (I only noticed issues in the last 2-3 when it seemed slow, but others may have had a different experience), then they should have posted something earlier. Not wait until everyone submitted their final bids that they could get in, bid on auctions they thought were in extended bidding etc. and then announce that they are adding a day to the auction.

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 08-08-2021 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I was high bidder on a few items as time was ticking down, and pretty happy about that.............................................. ....

Only to discover that, yet again, there will be an extra day added to the auction.
Sisyphian. That sucks. Good luck tomorrow.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:58 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Sisyphian. That sucks. Good luck tomorrow.
I'm done bidding. Either my bids that would've won tonight hold up or they don't. I'm not playing this game.

Usually when a company continues to have problems that go unresolved like this, it's to the company's detriment. In this case, another day just means, on some lots, more and higher bids.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:02 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
With over 8,000 lots in this auction (I believe that is the largest they ever had) I understand running the auction. I'm more confused why they didn't use some of the precautions they instituted in the past around auction closing.

Edit: And I wish there was more communication. If there were traffic issues for 2 hours before the end of the auction (I only noticed issues in the last 2-3 when it seemed slow, but others may have had a different experience), then they should have posted something earlier. Not wait until everyone submitted their final bids that they could get in, bid on auctions they thought were in extended bidding etc. and then announce that they are adding a day to the auction.
Ugh Ugh Ugh

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-08-2021, 09:12 PM
R0b Sm!th

[QUOTE=NYYFan63;2131717]https://twitter.com/goldinauctions/s...288432129?s=21

Due to an unprecedented high level of web traffic. They need to get that figured out.

Last edited by robertsmithnocure; 08-09-2021 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:06 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

[QUOTE=robertsmithnocure;2131731]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFan63 View Post
https://twitter.com/goldinauctions/s...288432129?s=21

They always blame it on an unprecedented high level of web traffic. LOL.
hopefully it is not a "tactic". To get another "final days and final Hours" of potential bids to drive up the auction prices and thus there Buyer Premium.
Although also good for the consigner

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-09-2021, 07:16 AM

Their lot descriptions on ungraded cards leave a lot to be desired. How can you sell a complete set of 1965 Topps cards ungraded with the only description Fair to New Mint??? I asked for at least a generic breakdown like ‘10% NM, 25%EX to EXMT, 50% VG/VG+, balance F/G’ and although they promised in an email they would send me one, they never did. Cards Fair to NearMint? Wow.

Last edited by tbob; 08-09-2021 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 08-09-2021, 09:10 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Same sh-t, different day

This isn’t the first or 10th time this has happened with Goldin. I hardly pay attention to their auctions anymore because it’s always something with the “server” that a fix has been “in the works” for about a year now
Old 08-09-2021, 09:24 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
Same sh-t, different day

This isn’t the first or 10th time this has happened with Goldin. I hardly pay attention to their auctions anymore because it’s always something with the “server” that a fix has been “in the works” for about a year now
Sadly but I agree experienced to often

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-09-2021, 10:00 AM
D@vid Fel@

The auction was open for weeks. People had plenty of time to get their initial bids placed instead of treating it like eBay with last minute snipes before extended bidding. Maybe the server crashes because of the 15 email updates a day they send out.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

I know they were bought out but did not know they had a new CEO.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:13 AM
Troy Rambo

I started looking again at the auction around 8:30 and noticed it was a little slower than normal. So I came back before I normally would and started putting final bids on lots AFTER their extended bidding email went out. It was definitely slow but with patience all of my bids were accepted. I was even outbid after being the high bidder during that time. I put final bids in on most all of the items I wanted and at about 10:25, felt like I'd have a pretty good night.

The "I'm sorry we let you down" messages ring hollow to me. The site was slow but it never actually crashed, I don't think (or if it did, it was for a very short time). Also, if they were having problems starting at 8PM, extend well before extended bidding and don't send the extended bidding email to everyone. It plays like they weren't happy with the pricing so they thought another day would help.

...as I said to someone last night, I need to keep reminding myself that it's just cards and not life and death. Still stinks, though!!
Old 08-09-2021, 11:47 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I know they were bought out but did not know they had a new CEO.
I received an email from them (and their new CEO, Ross Hoffman), just before noon today explaining that they had problems last night. I assume everyone else got the same email.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trambo View Post
I started looking again at the auction around 8:30 and noticed it was a little slower than normal. So I came back before I normally would and started putting final bids on lots AFTER their extended bidding email went out. It was definitely slow but with patience all of my bids were accepted. I was even outbid after being the high bidder during that time. I put final bids in on most all of the items I wanted and at about 10:25, felt like I'd have a pretty good night.

The "I'm sorry we let you down" messages ring hollow to me. The site was slow but it never actually crashed, I don't think (or if it did, it was for a very short time). Also, if they were having problems starting at 8PM, extend well before extended bidding and don't send the extended bidding email to everyone. It plays like they weren't happy with the pricing so they thought another day would help.

...as I said to someone last night, I need to keep reminding myself that it's just cards and not life and death. Still stinks, though!!
https://www.pingdom.com/

“.30 minutes of downtime”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37073BC2-FA6F-4667-B92F-5E6787E7758B.jpg (5.6 KB, 642 views)
Old 08-09-2021, 12:27 PM
Troy Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldin Auctions View Post
https://www.pingdom.com/

“.30 minutes of downtime”

Happy to talk to you if you'd like. I was speaking from my experience and I was on your website from about 9:30 until 10:30 refreshing frequently. I experienced slow responses but never an outage. Further, if you knew there was an issue, you should never have issued the extended bidding email but stopped or extended the auction instead.

..as I said, happy to talk to you. You have my name above and my number is on file with you. Feel free to call. Thanks!

Last edited by trambo; 08-09-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:35 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Have you seen the great cards currently available at REA, Heritage, & LOTG?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-09-2021, 02:14 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I'm done bidding. Either my bids that would've won tonight hold up or they don't. I'm not playing this game.

Usually when a company continues to have problems that go unresolved like this, it's to the company's detriment. In this case, another day just means, on some lots, more and higher bids.
Can't blame you one bit for "standing pat", and my sentiments exactly. I would never even be able to enjoy the winnings because of the unexpected incremental bidding activity brought about by this decision.

In Goldin's defense, it's a "no-win" situation... Either their consignors are pissed off at the untimely outage, or their bidders are angry that they have renewed competition, just when their winnings appeared to be a lock.

It sucks both ways but regardless, I personally will now refrain from participating in this event. Just too much other eye candy beckoning in LOTG and REA.

Last edited by perezfan; 08-09-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:25 PM
Po.well Mill.er

I have had positive experiences with Goldin.

Powell Miller

Last edited by Powell; 08-09-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:37 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

As a buyer and consignor in their auctions.......I too would prefer no hiccups, but it happens.......and damn do they get results!

They made me 16x what I paid for it just a couple months later. Incredible!

https://goldinauctions.com/LotDetail...entoryid=98783
Old 08-09-2021, 09:58 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I don't blame Goldin for running the auction, or even for deciding to extend it for another day. What's particularly frustrating to me is the fact there was no communication until afterwards. If the site was stalling or slow before 10:00, they should have sent an email noting that and indicating they would potentially be extending the bidding for another day. I also don't understand why they didn't use some of the approaches to auction closing that they've used over the last few auctions after there were issues. With 8,000+ lots, they could have split it over 3-4 days etc.

Regarding communication, all I'd want is:
  1. An email in advance that says something like, "in the event that the site is down for xx amount of time within xx amount of time of auction close, it will be extended for another day."
  2. Updates if there are slowdowns
  3. A banner on each auction page that shows "auction has been extended" if that is the case.

Ironically for me, the slowness of the site meant that I couldn't raise my bid on an auction I was going after in the overtime tonight, so I didn't win it. Paid an extra $50 on the one item I won, so no huge impact, and not particularly bothered by the item I didn't win (but was winning last night). But the idea that extending was "fairer" is disingenuous. It is better for the sellers, which I get.

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 08-09-2021 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
I don't blame Goldin for running the auction, or even for deciding to extend it for another day. What's particularly frustrating to me is the fact there was no communication until afterwards. If the site was stalling or slow before 10:00, they should have sent an email noting that and indicating they would potentially be extending the bidding for another day. I also don't understand why they didn't use some of the approaches to auction closing that they've used over the last few auctions after there were issues. With 8,000+ lots, they could have split it over 3-4 days etc.

Regarding communication, all I'd want is:
  1. An email in advance that says something like, "in the event that the site is down for xx amount of time within xx amount of time of auction close, it will be extended for another day."
  2. Updates if there are slowdowns
  3. A banner on each auction page that shows "auction has been extended" if that is the case.

Ironically for me, the slowness of the site meant that I couldn't raise my bid on an auction I was going after in the overtime tonight, so I didn't win it. Paid an extra $50 on the one item I won, so no huge impact, and not particularly bothered by the item I didn't win (but was winning last night). But the idea that extending was "fairer" is disingenuous. It is better for the sellers, which I get.
JEFF
you are correct, better communication could have been done. we had 3700 lots not 8000+, the SAS software counts each category as a lot for some reason so if something has multiple categories it counts it as a lot. 10 auctions in a row without a hitch on SAS made is think they finally got their act together on Azure, and gave us some time to work on perfecting our own platform, and we were not as prepared for a potential issue last night as we normally were in the past. that wont happen again
Old 08-10-2021, 06:12 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Seems like many high value cards didn't sell in this recent auction.... same thing happened in their last few auctions too. I guess consignors have high expectations and everyone hoping for record breaking prices or else they rather not sell them.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:09 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
JEFF
you are correct, better communication could have been done. we had 3700 lots not 8000+, the SAS software counts each category as a lot for some reason so if something has multiple categories it counts it as a lot. 10 auctions in a row without a hitch on SAS made is think they finally got their act together on Azure, and gave us some time to work on perfecting our own platform, and we were not as prepared for a potential issue last night as we normally were in the past. that wont happen again
I appreciate the response. (And thanks for the correction on the lot number).

Hoping going forward we are past these issues, but if not, I think having a template with a communication plan would go a long way.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:51 AM

Default communication

there was communication on the night of August 8. slow as molasses but of a sudden the green lettering showing the time to go changed from about 4 minutes on the lot I was bidding on to 23 hours. I confess I was baffled and did not understand at first that the auction was postponed 24 hours, but very soon thereafter I had a gmail message from Golden with an explanation.

for those of us who were trying desperately to bid or do anything, it was nearly impossible if you had more than one lot to navigate. I was glad the auction was postponed, but it changed my bidding strategies entirely.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:27 AM
Bill Roberts

People who lie down with dogs are probably going to get fleas. That's their choice, but don't wonder or complain about feeling itchy.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:36 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Amazing how he sold that "auction house" or whatever happened there.

More surprising people still bid.

Shenanigans!

Stuff trumps all

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-10-2021, 12:06 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith H. Thompson View Post
there was communication on the night of August 8. slow as molasses but of a sudden the green lettering showing the time to go changed from about 4 minutes on the lot I was bidding on to 23 hours. I confess I was baffled and did not understand at first that the auction was postponed 24 hours, but very soon thereafter I had a gmail message from Golden with an explanation.

for those of us who were trying desperately to bid or do anything, it was nearly impossible if you had more than one lot to navigate. I was glad the auction was postponed, but it changed my bidding strategies entirely.
Agreed

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-10-2021, 01:36 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

i just realized Ken Goldin is no longer the CEO.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:00 PM
Ste.ve J0hn.son

What I bid ended up holding overnight, and the issue on my PC was clearly slow but not totally down. But we needed a banner flash for sure. And terms and conditions should be rewritten to clarify their duties and what happens to bids in such circumstances.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
i just realized Ken Goldin is no longer the CEO.
He is Executive Director or something like that, you wonder if it's a real position or just nominal and Nat is running the show with his own people. From what I've seen of Ken, and this is a compliment, he seems the type of guy that would not be happy not being in control.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-10-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:59 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwfsteve View Post
What I bid ended up holding overnight, and the issue on my PC was clearly slow but not totally down. But we needed a banner flash for sure. And terms and conditions should be rewritten to clarify their duties and what happens to bids in such circumstances.
Congrats on the win Steve. I would only say with all their famous fancy investors, bullshit YouTube hype, and media marketing, the one thing they should get right is process. That's if they cared about folks like us of course.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-10-2021, 09:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Congrats on the win Steve. I would only say with all their famous fancy investors, bullshit YouTube hype, and media marketing, the one thing they should get right is process. That's if they cared about folks like us of course.
Hey now, it's the auction house for the millennial crypto iPhone twitter Instagram snapchat tshirt exquisite national treasure prizm 1/1 investor sneaker gem rate age. Get on board!!

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-10-2021 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:10 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
JEFF
If you guys are really using SAS to handle your data, or even just to interact with it, then you've hired the wrong people.