NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-06-2017, 11:24 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Default Is this negro league poster Authentic.

Just got it in the mail today.

Was told it is real, but here are my concerns.

1. The back of the poster is bright white. (it is glued to the cardboard, so could it be possible that it stayed white over the years from lack of sunlight?)

2. The cardboard that it is glued onto seems relatively new. (I photographed the cardboard).

One thing that leads me to believe it could be real are the touch ups done to it in sharpie (why would someone go through the effort of attempting to fix a reprint?)

Anyways,

I am leaning towards fake but here at the photos.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

If it came from Ohio or Indiana its FAKE. Still could be fake if its from other states, but these 2 have the most fraud items.

Other thought would be to find one of these at a major auction house that sold for big bucks and compare the two, the clarity etc.

I know there are many fakes of this particular one so I'd say the possession arrow is pointing toward no good.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:07 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

I compared to the ones that went at major auction and the texture seems right as they all have a gloss to them. I think this white backing is what is ringing my fraud alarm off. I don't get how this can be white on the back unless it was glued from the beginning. If this is a 1945 poster, how can the cardboard and tape on cardboard be new? lol

Along with what Paul said, I think It's a fake as it came from IL which is pretty close haha
Old 07-06-2017, 12:24 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I don't like the white back either. If it has been glued to the cardboard for a long time the acidity should have browned the back. If it was glued recently, one would have to ask why.

Last edited by Econteachert205; 07-06-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Rob

Good looking poster. I have no idea if it's a fake, though. I'd trim off the excess cardboard and frame it up!
Old 07-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Here is a link to the auction....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Negro-League-Baseball-Monarchs-vs-Harlem-Victory-Field-ORIGINAL-VINTAGE-POSTER-/322572931395?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=bGART68s1jc2E447DP6DghzwthQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I can tell you Stephen that I would have never have purchased this (not for $200) based on the picture and description.

Jeff
Old 07-06-2017, 01:18 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Good looking poster. I have no idea if it's a fake, though. I'd trim off the excess cardboard and frame it up!
That is what I intended on doing was it real haha.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:20 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
Here is a link to the auction....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Negro-League-Baseball-Monarchs-vs-Harlem-Victory-Field-ORIGINAL-VINTAGE-POSTER-/322572931395?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=bGART68s1jc2E447DP6DghzwthQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I can tell you Stephen that I would have never have purchased this (not for $200) based on the picture and description.

Jeff

Well it's a 350-400 poster so not liek I was getting a steal of a deal after framing to cover the cardboard. I messaged him asking many questions and he stated he has been in the business 30 years and knew paper like the back of his hand and guaranteed original. That's why I did it. Thanks for putting the auction on blast. Good Stuff
Old 07-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default Rather Iffy......

....in my opinion the cardboard itself raises the "Red Flags". The first 5 photos the OP shows seem to define the cardboard as corrugated. This type of material would be a poor choice to mount something on. The entire deal does not pass my smell test. I am no expert but do have 1/2 dozen broadsides in my collection...none were ever mounted on such a material. I would also point out the sloppy careless way the cardboard was cut on the vertical edge. If I am way off base ...congrats on a nice historical item.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:37 PM
David L.

Not that it's conclusive but something in that shape should probably smell musty and old. Does it?
Old 07-06-2017, 01:50 PM
Mark

I agree with several others...the white back (and edge) looks like a modern day reproduction. The soiling/damage along the right edge should've gone through the entire piece. I'd send it back.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Glad I could help...you're welcome.

Jeff
Old 07-06-2017, 02:14 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_l View Post
Not that it's conclusive but something in that shape should probably smell musty and old. Does it?
Yes it did thats why I was confused. Smelled more 60's than 40's though haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfhofer View Post
I agree with several others...the white back (and edge) looks like a modern day reproduction. The soiling/damage along the right edge should've gone through the entire piece. I'd send it back.
I agree
Old 07-06-2017, 02:41 PM
Hank Thomas

Just my opinion, but sure looks like a fake to me: white back, cardboard looks like it came in the mail yesterday, and to my eyes it has that artificially aged/distressed/yellowed look of a lot of the recent negro league repros. It also has the glossy/glazed sheen common to those.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I had already seen it on ebay before this thread.
My first thought was "yuck"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Just my opinion, but sure looks like a fake to me: white back, cardboard looks like it came in the mail yesterday, and to my eyes it has that artificially aged/distressed/yellowed look of a lot of the recent negro league repros. It also has the glossy/glazed sheen common to those.

Last edited by Leon; 07-06-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:56 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Did you look at it under a blacklight yet?
Old 07-07-2017, 04:26 AM
Jim Murphy

Sorry guy but you need to stop buying and spend the next few month doing research of vintage baseball memorabilia.

Find real examples of what you want, learn size, color, material etc and then make up a wish list.

This will save you a lot of time and money
Old 07-07-2017, 06:13 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

What better way to learn than hands on I know what you mean, but it's a shame I have to continue to dodge scum on ebay continuously.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:06 AM
Jim Murphy

you keep going to ebay looking for a bargain, but you get what you pay for there.

Go to some of the better weekly auctions like Mears etc, bargains there all the time
Old 07-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Joe Hunter

Default Monarchs Poster

This Monarchs poster has been reproduced in large quantities. I see them frequently here in the KC area. I would never buy this poster without inspecting it in person, even from a respected dealer.