NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-17-2016, 09:20 AM
Joel

Default Baseball Cards + Math = Fun

Kids really enjoyed using them to solve...

Mean
Median
Mode
Maximum
Minimum
Range

...of their player. We talked yesterday about how Babe Ruth himself was an outlier of sorts (his HR totals compare to contemporaries) while Roger Maris' 1961 HR total was an outlier compared to his data.

Fun times.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:22 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

learning is so much easier when associated w/ a relatable subject matter.

very cool!
Old 02-17-2016, 09:49 AM
j.oe b.

My daughter was learning about Black History month yesterday and she told the teacher that Jackie Robinson was the first black MLB player. The teacher asked her how she knew that. Her reply was "looking at baseball cards with my daddy."
Old 02-17-2016, 09:53 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb View Post
My daughter was learning about Black History month yesterday and she told the teacher that Jackie Robinson was the first black MLB player. The teacher asked her how she knew that. Her reply was "looking at baseball cards with my daddy."
Too bad there aren't any vintage cards of Moses Fleetwood Walker, then that would have really impressed the teacher if she knew about him.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 02-17-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Too bad there aren't any vintage cards of Moses Fleetwood Walker, then that would have really impressed the teacher if she knew about him.
Another University of Michigan connection...

Z
Old 02-17-2016, 12:39 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Andy, I'd be impressed if the teacher even heard of Moses Fleetwood.

Last edited by Fred; 02-17-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:55 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Andy, I'd be impressed if the teacher even heard of Moses Fleetwood.
Right! That is because "Black History" seems to skip from the 1860's to the 1940's.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:49 PM
j.oe b.

The majority of the population aren't baseball historians like the folks here, let alone my 7 year old. I should have known that somebody would have something to say. There was a reason I put MLB and not organized. Flame away.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
The majority of the population aren't baseball historians like the folks here, let alone my 7 year old. I should have known that somebody would have something to say. There was a reason I put MLB and not organized. Flame away.
It's a chat board. People have things to say.

I didn't see any flames whatsoever only a few regular ole comments.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:31 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
I think that's fantastic about your daughter, and I don't think anybody here is saying otherwise, let alone flaming you. Moses Fleetwood Walker and his brother Welday Walker both played in 1884 for Toledo in the American Association, which was a major league at the time, thus part of MLB. It was considered a major league by contemporaries, and it was officially classified as one retroactively by MLB in 1969. The Pirates, Dodgers, Reds, and Cardinals were all originally part of the American Association before moving to the National League during a period when the two leagues were at war for the best players and teams.

If anybody doesn't want to consider the 1884 American Association a major league, William Edward White, who was the son of a white plantation owner and his black slave, played in one game for the Providence Grays of the National League in 1879, and thus was (arguably) the real first black player in MLB, predating even the Walker brothers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Edward_White
Old 02-17-2016, 02:45 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
I didn't mean to dismiss your comment, or degrade your daughter's moment.

I was just stating that it may have been more plausible that she mention Walker if he had a vintage card (not just modern tribute cards) and how impressed a teach would be to learn something from a 7 year old.

My follow up comment about the teacher not even knowing is that teacher's only know what is taught to them. I had grown up believing that no African Americans had played in the MLB prior to Jackie Robinson because that is what is taught in the school system.

Again nothing against your daughter or her moment as school. I apologize if it came off as my correcting her. Just random thoughts typed out between doing actual work.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 02-17-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:49 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Since I lead this on a slight tangent I will get back on topic:

When I learned averages and percentages in school I was excited to finally know what a batting average actually meant. I remember trying to figure out how often someone got a hit out of how often he had an AB and being surprised that it matched up with the BA.

Had I had a teacher that used the backs of cards to teach me math, maybe I wouldn't have been so surprised that BA wasn't just a made up number. Now if only someone could explain the math behind WAR. haha
Old 02-17-2016, 03:50 PM
je.sse @rnot

I think this was a great post, and a great idea. I would have loved a math lesson as a kid that used baseball cards. And I'm sure I would have paid a lot more attention and perhaps even learn something along the way.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:00 PM
A.J. Johnson

I don't think I knew that there were African American ball players before JR. Very cool. What happened to our country that it was ok in the late 1800's but not after until Jackie broke the color barrier again? So unfortunate not to have all the great black players play alongside Cobb, Ruth, Mathewson etc.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 02-20-2016, 05:16 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
I don't think I knew that there were African American ball players before JR. Very cool. What happened to our country that it was ok in the late 1800's but not after until Jackie broke the color barrier again? So unfortunate not to have all the great black players play alongside Cobb, Ruth, Mathewson etc.
Actually they did.

Research into the barnstorming trips to Cuba in which the Mlb (including cobb and Ruth) played Cuban Black Stars games. The best black players of the time including Pop Lloyd would travel down for these as well. It's fun info.

Actually Cobb played them and had an average game in a Tigers win. Ruth went down with John McGraws Giants in 1920 ( He was paid 20k to join for the trip) and went hitless. However Cristobal Torriente hit 3 homers and showed up the kid.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:19 AM
pariah1107

Quote:
The subject is very complicated. The short answer: the 1896 Supreme Court decision Plessy v. Ferguson, institutionalized "separate but equal" facilities for blacks and whites which extended onto the baseball diamond. This decision was not reversed until the 1954 Supreme Court decision Brown v. The Board of Education, which ushered in the Civil Rights Movement.

Surprisingly many black ballplayers played alongside whites in minor league and semi-professional baseball from 1890-1946. Some more successful than others; the stories of William Clarence Matthews, "Big Chief" Dick Brookins, Charlie Grant, and Jimmy Claxton are hard to believe. During this period, attempts to "pass" as Native American were the most common methods used to integrate.

Back to the OP, this is a fantastic idea for students. Kudos!

Last edited by pariah1107; 02-20-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I think it should be called the African-American barrier because a lot of dark-skinned Cuban players were in the majors before Robinson. Look at a picture of Tommy de la Cruz from the 1944 Reds. He had African heritage and looked the part, but he was from Cuba, so he was allowed to play.

Even before him, the original Bobby Estallela(grandfather of the Giants/Phillies catcher) was part African and he put in eight seasons of baseball before Robinson supposedly broke the color barrier. Robinson broke the African-American barrier.

Color barrier makes it sound like only white players were playing before 1946 and we know that plenty of Latino and Native American players were also in the league during that time. I don't think they would have classified themselves as white.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS