NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 AM

Default What Baseball Board Games Did You Play As A Kid?

Yesterday, I finally won my absolute favorite Baseball Board Game. It's the 1973 SPORTS ILLUSTRATED All-Time All-Star Baseball Game. With the colored sheets of every team's all time greatest players and the set of three unique dice, my friends and I wore that game flat out!

I had lost on the last few high grade games over the last few years and they all went for over at least $400. I had forgotten all about it until I found one of my old buddies on facebook that I played the game with for at least 3 or 4 years. Turns out, he has my old game!

So I set it on my ebay search and one finally came up for sale (and a really nice one at that!) and I won it last night for what I thought was a very good price.

So... it got me to thinking that there might be a bunch of others here on the board that played one game or another in their childhood.

So which one was your favorite? Here's mine...

1973-SI-GAME.jpg
Old 10-26-2011, 08:54 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default All Star Baseball

I would wear out the tips of my fingers spinning the arrow of this game 24/7.

Tom C
Old 10-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Yesterday, I finally won my absolute favorite Baseball Board Game. It's the 1973 SPORTS ILLUSTRATED All-Time All-Star Baseball Game. With the colored sheets of every team's all time greatest players and the set of three unique dice, my friends and I wore that game flat out!

I had lost on the last few high grade games over the last few years and they all went for over at least $400. I had forgotten all about it until I found one of my old buddies on facebook that I played the game with for at least 3 or 4 years. Turns out, he has my old game!

So I set it on my ebay search and one finally came up for sale (and a really nice one at that!) and I won it last night for what I thought was a very good price.

So... it got me to thinking that there might be a bunch of others here on the board that played one game or another in their childhood.

So which one was your favorite? Here's mine...

Attachment 48243
I bought the first one as a kid (folded sheets in dark blue box - 1971?), and later my parent got me the All-Time All Star one.

I still have the sheets for both games.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Barry Sloate

I played Strat-O-Matic fanatically in 1964 and 1965; and I played the game with the discs and the spinner, I think it was Roger Maris Baseball but I forget.

Or it may have been the Cadaco game pictured above. It's just too long ago to remember.

Last edited by barrysloate; 10-26-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Max Weder

I started playing Strat-o-matic in 1969. I stupidly passed on buying one of the very few original sets of 40 players from 1960 (I believe) when I had a chance but as a 13 year old in 1972, I didn't have a job, much less $250.

I acquired five or six large size individual cards on ebay from either 1960 or 61 four or five years ago. I'll try and post them here. Over the years, I acquired a number of the original years' sets up through 1969, but at some point, I've lost track of which ones I have, and haven't looked in those shoeboxes for a couple of years.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Barry Sloate

Max- I believe 1962 was the first year for Strat.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Mike Dugan

I played the Sports Ilustrated game in the blue box and actually bought the College and Pro Football issues too.

I then found APBA in the early 70's and played and collected the seasons for years, sad to hear about the major changes in that company this year. I bought Strat Baseball later and can see how people could get hooked on either game.

Of course living in the south the SI College Football game was my favorite, I almost wore the game out. Took it to college and it did get worn out. I wish there was a good college football game out there now, even at 57 I would try it.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Joe Jesselli

Started with Ed-U-Cards baseball card game at 5 or 6, followed by Selchow & Righter’s “Home Team Baseball” and All-Star Baseball shortly after that. Lifelong obsession with baseball board games started with my friend Pat’s 1966 version of Strat-O-Matic…the next year I went out and bought my own—the 1967 cards with Yaz!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Tim M

Got hooked on APBA in 70s. Football and baseball.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Steve Birmingham

I had one of the SI games, I forget which one. I didn't play it much. I'll have to see if it's still at my parents place.

We played more photo-electric football.

I did have a baseball game dad made based on one he had as a kid. Baseball park, with marbles you'd roll down a tube to pitch and a bat on a swivel to hit with. Holes along the outfield wall for different hits, and holes in the infield for outs. Lots of fun, I'll really have to fix it up for my daughter.

Steve B
Old 10-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Max- I believe 1962 was the first year for Strat.
Barry

1962 was the first full complete year of players, I believe. 1961 had a set of 40? players. I had thought the first player set was from 1960, but the som website and the linked article says 1961. I'll have to check and scan those early cards, which don't have any year on them.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...tic/index.html
Old 10-26-2011, 01:53 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Still play APBA. 66s.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Barry Sloate

You may be right Max....by the way, I don't have a Facebook account. That's the only reason I haven't responded to your emails...but I can be your friend outside of Facebook!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
by the way, I don't have a Facebook account. That's the only reason I haven't responded to your emails...but I can be your friend outside of Facebook!
Hmm. I don't recall sending you emails regarding Facebook, or in fact sending any emails to you recently at all. Hopefully they aren't some sort of spam virus (although if you did join Facebook, I would friend you )

Can you email me one of my emails to me at weder (at) shaw.ca so I can see what was sent

Max
Old 10-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
I played the Sports Ilustrated game in the blue box and actually bought the College and Pro Football issues too.

I then found APBA in the early 70's and played and collected the seasons for years, sad to hear about the major changes in that company this year. I bought Strat Baseball later and can see how people could get hooked on either game.

Of course living in the south the SI College Football game was my favorite, I almost wore the game out. Took it to college and it did get worn out. I wish there was a good college football game out there now, even at 57 I would try it.
I had the college one also, and we also wore it out. The best two teams were clearly Notre Dame and Alabama, and if you knew how to play Notre Dame, no one could beat you. Did you all find the same to be true?
Old 10-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Barry Sloate

I just forwarded it Max. It's the second one I've gotten.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Started out with the original SI baseball in the blue box and SI football in the brown bow (I never won in football because I always loved to have Namath throw the bomb on every down ), then started playing the SI All Time All Star game when it came out, and then graduated to Strat-o-matic around 1978 or so. The difference between those games then, and the video games the kids play now is that we NEVER chose them over actually going out and playing a REAL game of ball outside.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:00 PM
PeterB

Played the Strategic All-Star Baseball (as pictured earlier) as a kid.

Now I've been playing Strat-O-Matic (cards, not online) for the last 20 years with same group of buddies.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Mike Dugan

Runscott- Yes, Notre Dame was unbeatable and I always loved that 1966 team with the super sophs- Hanratty and Seymour.

The other team that we found tough to beat was 1969 Texas, just run-run-run! Ouch! As an Arkansas fan the Longhorns were the team I wanted to beat.

I can remember the 1966 ND-Michigan State game. At that time the Irish had a HUGE radio network including a station here in Hot Springs, AR. I was assigned leaf raking that day by my Dad. Here we got something like Texas Tech and Rice as our game with the big game on tape delay. I raked all the leaves in a pile, got in the middle with my transistor radio and listened to the Irish and Spartans.

Back to the SI College game, I have always guessed that a Notre Dame grad was involved in the design!
Old 10-26-2011, 05:46 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
I would wear out the tips of my fingers spinning the arrow of this game 24/7.

Tom C
Cadaco Strategic Baseball was the best. I used to make my own discs, made Johnny Bench's HR area half the size of the disc. Haven't thought about that game in a really long time.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 10-26-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Runscott- Yes, Notre Dame was unbeatable and I always loved that 1966 team with the super sophs- Hanratty and Seymour.

The other team that we found tough to beat was 1969 Texas, just run-run-run! Ouch! As an Arkansas fan the Longhorns were the team I wanted to beat.

I can remember the 1966 ND-Michigan State game. At that time the Irish had a HUGE radio network including a station here in Hot Springs, AR. I was assigned leaf raking that day by my Dad. Here we got something like Texas Tech and Rice as our game with the big game on tape delay. I raked all the leaves in a pile, got in the middle with my transistor radio and listened to the Irish and Spartans.

Back to the SI College game, I have always guessed that a Notre Dame grad was involved in the design!
I remember that about the Texas team.

Regarding the '66 ND/Michigan game - the fact that they tied and shared the National championship would make you think that the '66 Mich State SI version could also play Notre Dame a close game, but it couldn't. The Michigan State bootleg just didn't work against Notre Dame's incredible defense.

Yeah, maybe it was Texas, not Alabama, that was a strong second to ND.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:05 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Am I dating myself if I say I played "Baseball" for Nintendo? Man Kent Herbek was awesome in that game.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Mostly Strat-O-Matic, but my cousin had an Ethan Allan spin the wheel game that was awesome.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:16 AM
Nick Edson

Default Always Strato

I still have my original Strat-O-Matic cards from 1962 and I'm happy to say that I've played Strato ever since - it's been a long process replaying the recreated 1961 season. But it's been a blast. Between collecting since 1959, playing Strato since 1962 and covering the game as part of my writing profession, I've pretty much been a baseball junkie my entire life. Luckily, I've had a wife of 35 years and three great (grown) kids who've supported my habit. Now the test will come with the grandsons.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Mike Dugan

I love all of those old baseball and football games. As an only child I played so many different versions in the 1960s and loved all of them.

The graphics for the old Ethan Allen Cadaco game were so cool, I now own about 15 but have not played one since the 60s.

The recent book on the history of Strat caused me to pull out a copy and play some games, it does play very well and even though I was an APBA guy I think Strat may play a little better and is probably more accurate.

Dr. Mark Cooper's book on baseball games is one that I keep by my chari and I love to pull it out and look through it. I suggest any game fans pick one up just for their library. I sure wish there was a football version.

As far as the old SI College Football game, there are current charts being offered on a site you can find by Googling "Bowl Bound." I have never purchased any but they look good.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Joe Jesselli

Adding to a previous post: I also played "Challenge the Yankees" before I played Strat. In fact, I still have the game, one of the few things from my youth I've saved.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by base_ball View Post
Adding to a previous post: I also played "Challenge the Yankees" before I played Strat. In fact, I still have the game, one of the few things from my youth I've saved.
I remember that game - you tried to buy ball players for your team using more limited resources. Very difficult to win.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 PM
FredYoung

I started playing Cadaco-Ellis Ethan Allen All-Star Baseball around 1953. I still have my bluebox game w/ all the parts & discs & the season records I kept so meticulously on graph & notebook paper. Spent hours & hours playing instead of doing homework
Old 06-30-2017, 02:55 PM
Michael Sokolow

-

Last edited by CTY64; 06-30-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Wanted to quote another poster.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:00 PM
Michael Sokolow

Quote:
Originally Posted by base_ball View Post
Joe,

If you're interested in Challenge the Yankees, I encourage you to check out www.challengetheyankees.co. The creator of CTY is preparing an Indiegogo campaign to relaunch the game in its original form. There's a box near the bottom of the page where you can subscribe to a mailing list and get a notification when the campaign begins. That's the best way to get your hands on CTY cards and complete games.

Best,

Michael Sokolow
Partner, Challenge the Yankees
www.challengetheyankees.co
Old 06-30-2017, 03:23 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Cadaco Strategic Baseball was the best. I used to make my own discs, made Johnny Bench's HR area half the size of the disc. Haven't thought about that game in a really long time.
Best game ever.... and pretty realistic, as the games would typically end with a 6 to 4 score (or something equally plausible).

The only beef I had was Don Mincher's Home Run area. It was the biggest of any player... including Mays, McCovey, Aaron, etc.

Perhaps one of Don's relatives was instrumental in creating that game.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:03 PM
Scott

Sorry life Monopoly and connect four among others
Old 06-30-2017, 06:44 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default My Evolution

When I was really young, Frantz Garage Hardware's Great American Game (1923) was the ticket.

Frantz - APBA.jpg

I also moved through Ethan Allen's All Star baseball that Fred and others mentioned.

Kashin Allen.jpg

But I was introduced to APBA in 1953 (their third year) and amassed a significant collection over a lifetime, some of which I still have. Selling sets from the 50s recently has worked out quite well. Clearly the best "junk" my mother didn't throw away. Even in this condition the 1956 set was very profitable

56 AL New York 1.jpg 56 AL Cleveland 1.jpg

56 NL Brooklyn 1.jpg 56 NL Milwaukee 1.jpg

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:06 PM
And*y Quig!ey

Strat-O-Matic was our main game (mid to late 70s). We all taught ourselves the dice probabilities and rated the players (accurately, proud to say). It became second nature after a while.
Also, the SI games ... All-Time All-Star and Pennant Race. APBA too, although it was never my favorite ... the pitchers grades didn't seem to make them distinct enough and no lefty-righty splits, also combined team fielding as I recall. SOM differentiated the players better, I think.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:57 AM
Mike

I remember playing that Stat-O-Matic game in the 70's, if it's the one with the Wrigley Field background. My school had gotten donations and I got to play with some awesome stuff from the 60's, early 70's and that version of the game was one of them. I also remember playing another version later, but the discs had the player's pictures on them. Just don't remember which version that was.

Mike
Old 07-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

I had a 1969 IDEAL All Pro Baseball that we played a lot and converted an electric football ball game into a baseball game

Last edited by rgpete; 07-04-2017 at 10:12 AM.