NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Patrick N.

Default Trading Quantity for Quality (or Vice Versa)

Has anyone traded away a large portion of their collection for 1 key card or conversely swapped/sold 1 in exchange for a larger lot? Any regrets regarding this transaction? Thanks for sharing your story.

Last edited by mintacular; 01-17-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Paul

Default T206s

I had the entire T206 set, minus Wagner, Plank, Magie and Doyle. I sold about 400-450 of them in order to get this Plank and a Magie, which I later parted with. I have never regretted this decision. The sell off was much more fun and much less painful than I thought it would be.

I have sold cards in the past that I miss, but none from that sell off. One of the tricks is holding onto a handful of cards that you really love. Put them aside and hold on to them through the sell off.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 AM

What I do ocassionally is sell off a lot (maybe 4-7 cards) and take the proceeds and buy a super card. (Super to me anyway). Regrets? One. I once sold a lot of about 8 cards and when I got the cash in hand, a financial emergency arose that took all of the cash and I didnt get to use any of the proceeds for cards. There was a PSA 7 69' Mantle in that lot. Not a rare card, but I wish I had something to show for it.

~Missin' my Mantle
Old 01-17-2011, 09:29 AM

In a way, I do this a lot. Not to the extreme of tons of money worth of cards, but more bulk. I will buy a bunch of cheap stuff over a year or so, so it does not bother me $$ wise, and then sell it all at once and buy one nice card in return.

If I try and save the money up over the year, I get bored with no new cards coming in to play with. I find it fun and it keeps me busy. It also gives me more people to talk to and make deals with outside of the usual circle.

But in reverse, I am sure that if I offered up my Lenox Johnson to whoever had the biggest stack of beaters in return, I would be kicking myself! I guess it all depends on the target or your collecting goal. I would LOVE to have a HUGE beater hoard, but I can bring myself to part with any of the 20 or so nice cards that I have.

Cool question and hope all is well,
Bob
Old 01-17-2011, 09:31 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I have worked it both ways but I once traded a low grade Walter Johnson for a bunch of new stuff that is virtually worthless now. Reggie Sanders rookie anyone? Funny, but I think you tend to remember the bad deals more than the good deals.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 AM

I once traded several 1955 All American football including Grange, Rockne, and the Horsemen for a bunch of Cory Snyder, Eric Davis, Todd Worrell rookies.

Hey, full Beckett on Snyder, Davis, and Worrell was a lot higher than the AAFC cards. I thought I ripped the guy off........
Old 01-17-2011, 10:47 AM
R Dixon

Default .

As Bob said earlier in the thread, I also do this once in a while. I'll buy cards in the $15 - $100 range because I like them at the time. After enjoying them for a while, I sell them and buy something nicer. I recently sold off 10 or so cards and used the money to buy a nice E95 Plank. I don't regret it at all. Even if I don't get all my money back on the sale....I just consider it "renter's fee".