NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-22-2023, 10:06 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

The Yankees retired Andy Pettitte's number in 2015; years after it became public knowledge that Pettitte was a steroid user and got dragged into the legal problems of that time over it.

The Yankees determined that steroid use is not a disqualifier for number retirement, nor is bad publicity in regards to it.

So... why wouldn't A-Rod's be retired, if the Yankees will retire the numbers of Steroid users? He was a far better player than Pettitte.

Seems like common sense that he would, thus, both qualify and merit number retirement.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:25 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Arod seems to do some serious triggering, LOL.
He was still a generational talent, that happens to be a douche.
I think there are many of those out there, that likely weren’t/aren’t as talented.
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 10-22-2023, 10:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
The Yankees retired Andy Pettitte's number in 2015; years after it became public knowledge that Pettitte was a steroid user and got dragged into the legal problems of that time over it.

The Yankees determined that steroid use is not a disqualifier for number retirement, nor is bad publicity in regards to it.

So... why wouldn't A-Rod's be retired, if the Yankees will retire the numbers of Steroid users? He was a far better player than Pettitte.

Seems like common sense that he would, thus, both qualify and merit number retirement.
You know the answer. When a nice guy does it, they forgive it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:56 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
You know the answer. When a nice guy does it, they forgive it.
I would never ask a leading question I damn well know the answer to is corruption, hypocrisy or indefensible double standards.
Old 10-23-2023, 04:00 AM

There's a lot to be said when a media- and image-savvy person like A Rod publicly expresses resentment for his number not being retired and, even worse, that someone who didn't end up having a great year got to wear his number.

That's exactly why his number hasn't been retired by the Yankees. I don't think it's either necessary or sufficient for a player to have the greatest individual stats to get their number retired by their former team. Look at Gooden and Strawberry for the Mets. On the other hand, if a sizable part of the fan base uses words like "douchebag" and "self-centered" to describe you, it's going to be an uphill battle. Why? Because the fans don't want to see the jersey of a self-centered douchebag hanging from their rafters.

Last edited by bk400; 10-23-2023 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-23-2023, 06:41 AM

I don’t know why Pettitte got brought up. He pitched 16 seasons for the Yankees, won 5 titles, and was one of the most recognizable players on the championship teams. There were only two other Yankee pitchers with retired numbers when they retired his. He’s an all time Yankee. Alex Rodriguez was not.
Old 10-23-2023, 09:26 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don’t know why Pettitte got brought up. He pitched 16 seasons for the Yankees, won 5 titles, and was one of the most recognizable players on the championship teams. There were only two other Yankee pitchers with retired numbers when they retired his. He’s an all time Yankee. Alex Rodriguez was not.
Because, as very directly said, Pettitte is the clear and obvious proof PED’s are not a disqualifier and was less impressive numbers wise. A-Rod is the #1 Yankee 3B, and it’s not particularly close even. He’s an “all-time Yankee” by math if not emotion.
Old 10-23-2023, 09:50 AM

Why would there not be emotion involved? This is about retired numbers not stats or WAR. Pettitte is a fan favorite beloved Yankee and has nothing in common with Alex Rodriguez. Fans will never link them so there’s no reason to say because fans love Pettitte they must love someone else.
Old 10-23-2023, 10:33 AM
Dave

All equivalencies are not the same. False equivalencies are neither pragmatic or logical. One guy being an asshole, doesn't cancel out another guy being a much bigger asshole. (There, I just said the same thing 3 different ways, for anybody who doesn't understand my point)

Yankees have no obligation to A-Rod...and A-Rod played out his contract as if he had no obligation to New York or even his own Players Union, whom he tried to sue when they couldn't overturn his well deserved suspension.

Most team union heads wanted to kick him out of the union after he pulled that stunt. He has no respect within the league, never mind within the Yankee organization.

A simple Google search shows his scumbaggery knows no bounds. Baseball related, and non-baseball related.

I don't care if David Ortiz has a PED strike against him or not. I don't care that I've rooted against David Ortiz for a large part of my adult life as a Yankee fan. Every time he subtly (or un-subtly) emasculates and embarrasses A-Rod on National Television, it brings a little smile to my face every time.

Don't care how much A-Rod's laughing (or crying) all the way to the bank. That doesn't garner respect from me. That doesn't mean he's "doing something right".

Call it hypocritical if you want, but I've long ago come to terms with the fact that "hypocrisy" is one of the most overused and misused terms in our language. We're all hypocrites in some way shape or form. Some more-so than others. Best to just acknowledge it and move on.
Old 10-23-2023, 06:51 AM

Default ARod

Good morning net54ers-

bk400- perfectly put.

Peter Spaeth- I've said it before, bears repeating. People who dive behind
words like "triggered" have surrendered their legitimacy at the starting gun.
The mere fact that I called out your extraordinarily short attention span
doesn't mean I'm triggered- it's called discernment, and mine is based on
example after example. Truly, I'm stunned you didn't shoehorn an insult
about SGC while you were attempting to move the goalposts-again- on a
topic. The topic is ARod, not Pettitte, "other guys", etc.

Bottom line- ripping on ARoid is FUN low hanging fruit, which is entirely on
him. His 12 years with NY produced 1 Series win. He consistently feuded
with their front office, was suspended an entire season, and generally made
everything he possibly could make, about him. He admitted to steroid use
as far back as 2001, and Biogenisis clearly coincided with his prime Yankee
years later. He was a constant distraction who cared only about himself. I'm
no Yankee fan- an understatement- but their history is rich enough that they
can say "thanks, no thanks" to retiring this clown's number.

Trent King
Old 10-23-2023, 07:16 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
Good morning net54ers-

Bottom line- ripping on ARoid is FUN low hanging fruit, which is entirely on
him. His 12 years with NY produced 1 Series win. He consistently feuded
with their front office, was suspended an entire season, and generally made
everything he possibly could make, about him. He admitted to steroid use
as far back as 2001, and Biogenisis clearly coincided with his prime Yankee
years later. He was a constant distraction who cared only about himself. I'm
no Yankee fan- an understatement- but their history is rich enough that they
can say "thanks, no thanks" to retiring this clown's number.

Trent King
Well said! Even after baseball, Arod continues to do everything he can to stay relevant, which is just more annoying to me. He takes his gum disease, like it's something new he discovered, and goes on shows to share his story, wanting to warn everyone, so he can save the world. Freakin annoying! It just never ends with Arod. It truly is difficult to like the guy.

I will say this. Putting all of his bull crap aside, I still always loved watching him play baseball.
Old 10-23-2023, 07:31 AM

He also opted out during the World Series. Nine out of ten memories a Yankees fan has of A-rod are about BS like that.

There is no reason to look at stats or accomplishments for A-rod. This is about being a Yankee fan and considering whether or not he really has any place in any discussion about the greatest Yankees. I can't imagine there are many of us who think he does.

You will also not see anyone wearing a number 13 jersey at the stadium.

Last edited by packs; 10-23-2023 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-26-2023, 07:29 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Good morning net54ers-

The topic is ARod, not Pettitte, "other guys", etc.

Trent King
And yet... you aren't getting cranky at the people who are discussing pettitte..

Just a little "discernment"
Old 10-26-2023, 05:23 PM

Default ARod

Steve- it’s like trying to stop a dam from leaking with my thumb. You are late to this parade of sadness. There are people on this board who deserve to be countered, it gets old. Focus isn’t that difficult. Trent King
Old 10-27-2023, 06:33 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post

This is the innocuous post that made this board go crazy and our regular nutball spaz out. It is not even off topic at all, they just do not like it not participating in an approved circlejerk. It is about A-Rod. It is about the issues raised in the OP. It is 100% on topic, it's just not circlejerking his viewpoint. That is not what off-topic means lol

This is somehow still less stupid than half this guys previous public meltdowns, such as his anger at reading a post against literally lynching people one doesn't like. That one he probably won't ever be able to beat. The bar is just too high now.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

He went nuts on me earlier for suggesting it was hard to evaluate ARod's numbers in context because we don't really know who was clean and not in the steroid era. OMG.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:59 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
He went nuts on me earlier for suggesting it was hard to evaluate ARod's numbers in context because we don't really know who was clean and not in the steroid era. OMG.
At least we aren’t that poor guy who just said he thought Al Kaline and Roberto Clemente were both great but he thought Kaline edged it and this nutter accused of being a cocaine addict for saying that. He is a hilarious combination of sheer stupidity and over the top insane anger. Can’t wait for the next time he goes apeshit and off topic over an innocuous statement he’s too mental to even read and understand. This moron started his vendetta with me over a tiny joke in a PWCC thread about PWCC’s fraud that sent him ballistic. At least get triggered over one of the 50 controversial things I’ve said here instead.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:51 AM

Default ARod

Peter and 1911-

Boy, reality is just so uncooperative sometimes-

1) You 2 were in a lather at 1 in the morning (!!), the night before last over
my remarks. But I'm the "nut"- sounds like a comment right out of your
playbooks. Maybe I'm the one inside your heads? Nah, you're both too
esteemed for that, I'm just sure...

2) 1911- you need real psychological help. I'd recommend taking an extra
inhaler and wearing your nicest jorts for the sessions.

3) Life's really good, thanks for being so concerned. Cool start to the Series,
college football today, been acquiring cards and really enjoying the hobby.

4) Arod is still a turd. There's really nothing else to say- "It's only you and
me, and we just disagree". You are a waste of space.

Trent King
Old 10-28-2023, 01:14 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Peter and 1911-

Boy, reality is just so uncooperative sometimes-

1) You 2 were in a lather at 1 in the morning (!!), the night before last over
my remarks. But I'm the "nut"- sounds like a comment right out of your
playbooks. Maybe I'm the one inside your heads? Nah, you're both too
esteemed for that, I'm just sure...

2) 1911- you need real psychological help. I'd recommend taking an extra
inhaler and wearing your nicest jorts for the sessions.

3) Life's really good, thanks for being so concerned. Cool start to the Series,
college football today, been acquiring cards and really enjoying the hobby.

4) Arod is still a turd. There's really nothing else to say- "It's only you and
me, and we just disagree". You are a waste of space.

Trent King
I was ripping your bizarre and occasionally violent rants as late as at 10:46pm, not 1am.

And... OFF TOPIC YET AGAIN!