NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Dan Marke1

Default THE MARKEL REPORT: Are Graded Baseball Cards Being “Juiced” (Aesthetically Enhanced)?

by Daniel C. Markel
e-mail address: dan_markel@sbcglobal.net
eBay ID: danmarkel

The Markel Report, also officially known as “The Report to the Collectors of Graded
Baseball Cards of an Independent Investigation into the Illegal Use of Trimming and
Other Aesthetically Enhancing Alteration Methods by Sellers of Graded Baseball Cards”

is now released for public viewing.

Executive Summary:

A massive three year probe by a group of concerned collectors has concluded
that misrepresentation and fraud are significant problems in the graded sportscard
collecting hobby – especially among registry set collectors. An extensive investigation
has revealed that lower grade-quality common cards that would be considered
“low pop” or scarce in high grades are being purchased, then “aesthetically enhanced”
by unscrupulous alteration methods, submitted and graded by a third party grading company
and sold to unsuspecting collectors for premium prices.

Report Recommendations:

1. Third party grading companies should not tolerate dealers who continuously
submit invoices with high percentages of altered cards.

2. Third party grading companies need to be audited by an independent group to
test the accuracy and reliability of their grading services.

3. Sellers need to be educated to understand that deliberate fraud and
misrepresentation by means of the use of electronic communication, also known
as wire fraud, is a felony.

4. Sellers need to be educated to understand that deliberate fraud and misrepresentation
by means of the use of the mail system, also known as mail fraud, is a felony.

5. Sellers of raw cards should make “super-size” scans (full monitor size) of their
cards when selling them on-line and there should be a public database to archive
these scans.

6. Raw card sellers who continuously sell altered cards, even with no proof of
prior knowledge of these alterations should be banned from on-line venues.

7. A stronger emphasis on “buying the card, not the holder” needs to be indoctrinated
into the collecting community.

Current Status:

1. Criminal complaints through various law enforcement agencies have been filed
by a number of collectors who participated in the study who were defrauded by these
dealers.

2. Civil action against these same dealers is being organized. An extensive
electronic database with over a year’s worth of eBay auction records including
scans of the raw cards purchased by these nefarious sellers was compiled and
will be used to assist victims who believe they have been defrauded.

3. To the best of this investigative group’s knowledge, these sellers are still submitting
cards to a major third party grading service. A federal law enforcement agent has
come forward to assist in the banishment of these dealers from this grading company.

4. These dealers are still active on eBay. A strong campaign to have these dealers banned
to Non-Registered User status has now been initiated.

Below are some examples of card alterations perpetrated on the collecting community.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Dan Marke1

Default Exhibit “A”: 1963 Topps Jim King Specimen #1

Compare these two 1963 Topps Jim King cards below (pay close attention to the bottom corners).
Also notice how the trapezoidal cut on the left and right side of the raw card is now parallel on
the graded card. If there is any question regarding if these are the same card, notice the diagonal
surface scratch on King's left elbow and also to the right of the yellow circle. Under close scrutiny
these can be seen on the raw card scan. The fisheyes and print snow also match.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Dan Marke1

Default Exhibit “B”: 1963 Topps Jim King Specimen #2

Compare these next two 1963 Topps Jim King cards below (again - pay close attention to the
bottom corners).

Old 08-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Dan Marke1

Default Exhibit “C”: 1967 Topps Sammy Ellis

Compare these two 1967 Topps Sammy Ellis cards below. Not only do the print marks match, but
there is matching surface scuffing on Ellis' pitching arm (forearm and bicep).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is an exceptionally good comparison of the same card. We were able to make a 6 megabyte
scan of the raw card – front and back - before it was sold to this devious card dealer.

Notice the tiny dots on the top border on the left front of the card above the word "SAMMY".
Even though these scans are not the same exact scale, on a proportional basis the tiny dots are
clearly closer to the top edge on the graded card. Also notice the improved corners on the graded card.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this comparison the graded card clearly has an improved corner.

Notice the roughness of the top edge of the ungraded card and the smoothness of the graded
card. The corner of the graded card is clearly improved.

The same is true for the rest of the top edge of the card.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Dan Marke1

Default Exhibit “D”: 1961 Topps Tom Cheney

Still not convinced? Compare these two 1961 Topps Tom Cheney cards below. Notice the "snow"
and the streaks on the front. There clearly many unique features to this card:

On these front blow-ups, look at the two tiny dots on the top border above the "P" on his cap.
Those same two dots are clearly positioned much closer to the top edge of the graded card.
In addition the corner on the graded card is sharper and squarer.

Notice the roughness of the top edge of the ungraded card and the smoothness of the graded card.
Also notice the tiny dot above and slightly to the left of the vertical line between the word "ERA"
and the number "27.00" on both cards. The same dot is clearly positioned much closer to the top
edge of the graded card.

SUMMARY

These are some of the better examples of card altering work sold on eBay, however I have roughly
60 more pairs of before and after scans taken from eBay auctions which show evidence of improved
ascetics of the graded card compared to the same ungraded card. I am also convinced that this is
a majority report of what these dealers sell. I have a lot of anecdotal evidence to support this claim
as well. There are hundreds of instances where raw cards were purchased but the scans were
marginal to tell if the card was trimmed but the perp managed to get a 1 to 2 bump on the graded
card. In my vast experience, most eBay sellers of raw cards overgrade the cards they sell - not
undergrade.

Last edited by WhenItWasAHobby; 08-20-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:16 AM
qualitycards

Dan - was curious in your findings, are these cards sold by a variety of dealers
or is the majority being sold by 1 or a few, and if so, who are they?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:11 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Default The registry mentality

A lot has been said that to many registry people, they are in it for the competition and, to that end, all that matters is the grade. But does it necessarily follow that these people really don't care if their cards are altered? I would think they do because in addition to the competitive aspect, there is also the investment aspect. Such people, whether they admit it or not, have to be concerned that if the hobby continues on its current track of discrediting the accuracy of the flip, the value of their collection could plummet like (and pardon the pun) like a house of cards.

While I'm only hypothesising, I think what the typical registry person would say is that the degree of undetected alterations is grossly overstated, and that the overwhelming majority of their high-grade cards are unaltered. I don't think they would say that if it was somehow proven that a significant percentage of their cards were altered, they still wouldn't care.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Matt Wieder

Barry and Corey - excellent points, both.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
While I'm only hypothesising, I think what the typical registry person would say is that the degree of undetected alterations is grossly overstated, and that the overwhelming majority of their high-grade cards are unaltered. I don't think they would say that if it was somehow proven that a significant percentage of their cards were altered, they still wouldn't care.
I too am only speculating based on observation, but while I agree that almost everyone would be concerned if it ended up affecting card values, I believe there are a lot of registry types who don't care from an intellectual/aesthetic point of view if some of their cards are microtrimmed, as long as they have the number on the slab they need for the competition.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Peter Wilk

Daniel- the work you and your team has done is fantastic. I was hoping you could post a reply as to where you see this going - Scott Susor needs to be dealt with - black listed and prosecuted - do you see this happening? Is he going to be allowed to continue his practice?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Dan Marke1

pwilk17,

We are still pursuing civil action and criminal charges. I've asked eBay to ban him and the person I spoke to said that it would have to be reviewed by a department within eBay shortly.

Sadly, this guy, eBay ID "scottsusor" is still buying raw cards on eBay by the droves. Raw card sellers need to block him. It's obvious to me he has no intentions of quitting what he has been doing even though he's been exposed. That tells me he's just going to find people to submit to PSA for him and use others to sell on eBay for him. It's sickening.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Dan, despite your commendable work, I don't think PSA is likely to solve the problem nor do I think a boycott is likely to happen. Ultimately, if this (and other similar situations) is going to change, it is going to take law enforcement or private litigation.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default stay tuned

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&sort=3&_rdc=1
Old 08-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Bob Hamlin

Years ago there was a guy who would restore cards and place a small dot on the back to note the restoration. I haven't seen one of those dots in 15-20 years....It was just a matter of time before someone started getting their stuff done without the "dot" for a little extra cash.
The knowledge that is on this website in unbelievable. From the detailed work with this topic, to 19th century obscure question....if people dont know the answer here, the answer isn't known anywhere.