NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-20-2012, 02:00 PM

Default Burdick Cards at the Met

I know this has been discussed here before, but I was at the Met earlier today, and took a few shots of his "wall".

I've recently bought a few T206 cards (clean fronts, with back damage) with the sole intention of matting & framing them like these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (29.7 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (33.8 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (76.0 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (20.1 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg photo 5.jpg (48.2 KB, 315 views)

Last edited by MVSNYC; 11-20-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:51 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

"I've recently bought a few T206 cards (clean fronts, with back damage) with the sole intention of matting & framing them like these."

I think that's a great idea!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:04 PM

Very cool. Thanks for posting the images! I like how they have them displayed as if they were actual works of art, which (of course) they are.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Paul

Previously posted some of this before, but it seems apt...

In my endless quest for all signed pre-war cards, I recently discovered a T201 Mecca double-folder that had been beautifully signed by its subject “Lefty” Leifield. While I have come across a few of these in my endless searching – and already own one of the finest examples – this particular autographed T201 Leifield carries a very special provenance in addition to the player’s signature. Indeed, this particular tobacco card was once owned by none other than the Godfather of baseball cards himself, Jefferson Burdick. How do I know this? Because Mr. Burdick stamped his name right on the back – not once, but twice.

Even the most casual collector of vintage baseball cards knows who Jefferson Burdick is. That he was a trading and baseball card collector. That he cataloged his cards in the American Card Catalog (“ACC”), which is still used today. For instance, the T206 set received its name from its designation in the ACC. And Burdick’s collection is housed in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, where a small part of his collection is always on display in the American Wing.

Sadly a small amount of Burdick’s ultimate collection has fallen victim to theft. We sometimes see evidence of this when cards surface in the market with stamps identifying them as gifts of Burdick and property of the Met. Two such examples are set forth below:

However, despite the efforts of unscrupulous card thieves, there is no doubt that the bulk of Burdick’s enormous hoard is firmly a part of the Met’s permanent collection.

But, every card collector worth his salt knows that hoarding is only part of the fun. The moment you stop collecting may signal a final stage in the collecting journey – but what about all of those cards that your acquired and then sold or traded along the way? Are they any less part of your collection when the inevitable move comes? Collectors love to buy, sell and trade. And we know that Burdick was at least trading cards by the mid-1930s. In his first Card Collector’s Bulletin (“CCB”) on January 1, 1937, Burdick listed the first “Collectors Directory” of known card collectors. 15 of the earliest known collectors, including their specific collecting interests, was on page 1:

It is also well known that Burdick would share and trade cards with these collectors. For example, Lionel Carter received his 1933 Goudey Lajoie from Burdick when Burdick learned that Carter was unable to locate one for his collection. And many old-time collectors would stamp their names on the backs of their cards, oftentimes so that the cards would not get inadvertently comingled with the collections of others. Thus, a collector would send a stack of cards to another collector for a potential trade, without fear that he would not receive his untraded or unsold cards back.

It appears that Burdick did just that. As you can see on this broad array of vintage cardboard, Burdick routinely stamped his name on cards, whether the subjects were boxers, Olympians or great explorers.

Skeptics may say that anyone can stamp “J. Burdick” or “Jeff B.” on the back of a trade card. But the E80 Jack Johnson also contains an ornate “B”, which at least one reputable collector identified on the back of another card when he was researching Burdick’s collection at the Met. This “B” marker provides a significant anchor of provenance, for on the Johnson we also see the stamp “Jeff B.” which is also on the Sheppard and Leifield. And the Sheppard and Leifield also have the same “Jeff Burdick.” stamp, which is also on the Lockwood. There is little doubt that all of these cards come from the same collection, and that they were at one point in time a part of Jefferson Burdick’s active or less permanent, pre-donation collection.

Today a collector would be ill-advised to stamp his own name or initials on the back of his antique baseball cards. But consider that Burdick passed away in 1963, and that these cards have changed hands any number of times before and since. Burdick may have only held these cards in his possession for a brief period of time. But, because he stamped them, Burdick’s association with these cards endures for as long as they remain collectibles. We constantly celebrate Burdick’s legacy when we collect baseball cards. Because Burdick stamped these cards, we are able to feel a little closer to that history.

A copy of George Vrechek’s fantastic article about the Burdick stamp on the T218 Sheppard is available here:

http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/Burd...shee_Cards.pdf

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 11-20-2012, 03:40 PM

T206 collector:
Nice post. I see you know a lot about Burdick. The stamps on the backs are interesting. What can you tell me about Frank Nagy? I won many an auction from him of T206's and Playballs in the early 1980's. Do you know if he stamped his cards? I treasure 2 handwritten letters he sent me about his opinion of "past" cards and what the future of collecting would be. So, again, what can you tell me more about Mr. Nagy?
Tom
Old 11-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Jake

On a related note, does anyone know how to make an appointment to see the rest of his collection?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Jason Stricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
I've recently bought a few T206 cards (clean fronts, with back damage) with the sole intention of matting & framing them like these.
This made me think of the listing on eBay where commons have been mounted and framed in old looking frame (auction link). I contacted this seller asking where he found this and he/she claims to have made it. Sort of a folk art piece rather than museum quality like the ones in the Met, but your idea reminded me of the auction. I thought about doing a similar framing project, but I didn't want to use any sort of glue or tape the mount the cards, so I passed. Please share with the group if you indeed create a similar piece.

Last edited by t206blogcom; 11-20-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
On a related note, does anyone know how to make an appointment to see the rest of his collection?
Start writing a book. The collection is not available to the general public but if you have a research purpose you can contact the prints department and get in.

"reputable collector"; haven't been called that on N54 before

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-20-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Barry Sloate

There was a time when the collection was easily accessible to anyone who wanted to see it. Now it's a whole lot tougher, and unless you can convince them that you need to do research, they won't give you an appointment. Over the years they have been swamped by requests, and the collection has had a bit of damage (and likely theft) along the way. That's why they always keep a group of cards framed in the hallway right near the room where it's housed, so the public can at least see a sampling of it.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Rob

Default Great Post

T206Collector:

Thanks for the info and pics. Some really cool stuff there. Congrats esp. on the signed T201. Just wanted to add that sometimes museums deaccess items to auction houses so those examples you saw as gifts may have reached the public in an honest way. Cheers