NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2015, 09:02 PM

Default Todd....

Please come to AC....id like to show you my collection
Old 08-14-2015, 09:06 PM

Default The AC

national should be very interesting this year.......

Todd and Rob D I ' d love to see there
Old 08-14-2015, 09:30 PM
Tom Boblitt

Old 08-14-2015, 09:36 PM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
Lol!
Old 08-14-2015, 10:05 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Ugh! I was excited to see that this thread had grown so large, figuring lots of board members were discussing their winnings/losses. Instead it turns out to be one member tooting his own horn / antagonizing people who have only vague interest in engaging him.

Johnny, a suggestion. Start a new thread about the ending prices of the two cards you have such a hard on for and let this thread be.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:12 PM

Default Chris....

you must be related to captain obvious

I wasted enough energy on idiots......obviously captain you joined the team
Old 08-14-2015, 10:27 PM
Jamie

a quick note on johnnys values.. he told me years ago to start buying yellow brown scraps at $400-$600 and now they sell at $1700-$2000. he told me to buy ghosts at $2200 and now they sell at $6K-$11K...

does he overvalue these cards sometimes.. yes... but he has been right way more times then he has been wrong. .. and yes i do believe that REA has more action then HA... some people didnt even know HA ended lot by lot.. people could have signed on at 2am EST thinking they would get a bid in on the matty or the brown OM only to see they ended hours earlier..

IMO i think both went at good prices for the buyers.. didnt a brown old mill just sell in the spring REA auction for $24K? that would make this brown old mill with a ghost image of cy young worth more in my opinion.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:38 PM

Default Jamie.....

thank you my friend! Jamie is by far a very educated collector in this niche.... if anyone knows me, I only like to see collectors ENJOY! that's the true value! to me

it's who I am......

sick of being "talked down to" by condescending COLLECTORS WHO ARE JUST NOT EDUCATED IN WHAT THEY criticize

This is not a hi jack....Leon prob wants to say to Rob what I am expressing, but I can not speak on anyones behalf but mine.......
Old 08-14-2015, 10:44 PM

Default btw....

through education and sharing freely of info between collectors , we have accomplished a lot so far....

these guys I spent time with educating them back in the day , now educate me! I love the reciprocation.....advancement of the print process/rarity knowledge.....

I call on them for advice now
Old 08-14-2015, 10:47 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunder19 View Post
a quick note on johnnys values.. he told me years ago to start buying yellow brown scraps at $400-$600 and now they sell at $1700-$2000. he told me to buy ghosts at $2200 and now they sell at $6K-$11K...

does he overvalue these cards sometimes.. yes... but he has been right way more times then he has been wrong. .. and yes i do believe that REA has more action then HA... some people didnt even know HA ended lot by lot.. people could have signed on at 2am EST thinking they would get a bid in on the matty or the brown OM only to see they ended hours earlier..

IMO i think both went at good prices for the buyers.. didnt a brown old mill just sell in the spring REA auction for $24K? that would make this brown old mill with a ghost image of cy young worth more in my opinion.
+1, I agree with Jamie. Johnny is more of an expert on t206 scrap than most on this board and I've enjoyed reading and learning from his threads. So he missed on his estimates on these two cards. I don't think the market for scrap is a fad and it's not going away. What I've learned over the years is that t206 is a completely different beast than other sets so you can't compare scrap in this set with other sets. A lot of folks collect different backs and want to add a scrap to complete their "type" collection for t206, and there are a LOT of t206 collectors. To try to cut Johnny down like this is completely childish and flat out wrong.

Last edited by glchen; 08-14-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:48 PM

Default Brian W....and Leon....

please forgive me for my expression here.....I had to let it out!

and everyone else who had to read this mess....but I stand behind what I said....and I don't want to post anymore here in this thread....I have wasted enough time on negative energy.........

UGH!!!

Gary, Bryan and all the rest keep me going in my quest...can not thank guys like you enough

Last edited by mrvster; 08-14-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:51 PM
Bry@n

I don't have much interest in getting in the middle of this, but I wanted to point out that Johnny did not fire the first shot, that was Rob:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...&postcount=112

when, out of the blue, he quoted something Johnny said in a post in April to bust his balls. Judging by his response I would say that Johnny done had enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterose4hof View Post
Ugh! I was excited to see that this thread had grown so large, figuring lots of board members were discussing their winnings/losses. Instead it turns out to be one member tooting his own horn / antagonizing people who have only vague interest in engaging him.

Johnny, a suggestion. Start a new thread about the ending prices of the two cards you have such a hard on for and let this thread be.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:01 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Nice pick-ups.

I was happy to win this card...
Mike, you got that one? Nice going.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:07 AM
Bry@n

Did anyone here win the T215-1 McGraw? I hope that one stayed in the Net54 family.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:08 AM
Sean Costello

Last edited by Sean; 08-15-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:13 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Jamie nailed it, couldn't have said it better.

The Matty proof more than doubled since 2008 and believe the Young ghost doubled as well. We've seen a T206 error go from 26k to106k in under 4 years. It's possible the next time these come up they will have increased significantly.

Maybe just let him state his predictions, right or wrong and leave it at that.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:47 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Leon

I should have gone for it. I put my card resources in a few other directions and now regret it, but overall you did very well. Congratulations.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:09 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Wins

I was able to snag 2 blank backs, T205 McConnell and the T207 Street. I was the underbidder on the T206 Mullaney as well. Oh well, sometimes chicken sometimes chicken residue !!
Old 08-15-2015, 08:07 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Default Hmmmmm....

Let's put it this way. Johnny has an enormous amount of passion. He has always participated on this board sharing scans and information. He regularly posts and not just to bump or plug his own BST threads. He's the first guy to compliment other collectors on cards or their collections. He takes the time with others to try and further the knowledge of the T206 set and shares what he knows. He actually posts cards from his collection for others to enjoy.

That's a hell of a lot more than the bulk of the members here ever do. So he over estimated a couple of cards. Who cares he's not in the auction business. Heritage had a few higher estimates on a handful of Leon's cards and they fell below estimates...anyone gonna start slapping them around?

With all the scumbags in this hobby, stolen items being offered for sale, blatantly false lot descriptions etc. I would think we as collectors would have better things to police than a passionate collector who tossed a dart at a price and missed.

In reagards to Johnny's emoticons and personality as Warren Zevon said...he's just an excitable boy.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 08-15-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:15 AM
Sean Brennan

Anyone here win the sporting life lot and want to part with the Johnson and Coombs please let me know )
Old 08-15-2015, 08:19 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default taxes

Man federal income taxes are going to be huge on this sale...
Old 08-15-2015, 08:53 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I have my $$ in 10,000 different directions right now or I would have been in on both the Matty and the Young multi strike. Likely would have lost on both but my feeling going in was $30,000 on the Matty and $20,000 on the Young multi strike and sit on them for 3-5 years to double the money.

I am far from the educated T206 expert, so those are just gut feelings. But they are my own. Perhaps this is what they are worth now. No idea.

There are some people who simply do not bid in Heritage auctions for personal reasons. If such people are the ones that Johnny is speaking of, I can see why he believes the cards could have gone for more somewhere else.

Tom C
Old 08-15-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Let's put it this way. Johnny has an enormous amount of passion. He has always participated on this board sharing scans and information. He regularly posts and not just to bump or plug his own BST threads. He's the first guy to compliment other collectors on cards or their collections. He takes the time with others to try and further the knowledge of the T206 set and shares what he knows. He actually posts cards from his collection for others to enjoy.

That's a hell of a lot more than the bulk of the members here ever do. So he over estimated a couple of cards. Who cares he's not in the auction business. Heritage had a few higher estimates on a handful of Leon's cards and they fell below estimates...anyone gonna start slapping them around?

With all the scumbags in this hobby, stolen items being offered for sale, blatantly false lot descriptions etc. I would think we as collectors would have better things to police than a passionate collector who tossed a dart at a price and missed.

In reagards to Johnny's emoticons and personality as Warren Zevon said...he's just an excitable boy.

Cheers,

John
+1
Thanks John, anyone who has ever talked with Johnny knows how passionate he is about collecting T206's, especially scrap. It's not an act, that's just Johnny.
It's not about money for him, he truly loves the cards, sometimes maybe too much...
Be well Brian
Old 08-15-2015, 09:43 AM
Brad Pencil

Not take aways from the big t206 scrap fight but on a side note I picked these two premiums up...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 10.40.26 AM copy.jpg (67.0 KB, 662 views)

Last edited by pencil1974; 08-15-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil1974 View Post
Not take aways from the big t206 scrap fight but on a side note I picked these two premiums up...
Nice! I had my eye on those too. Held my powder for other things in the auction. Sharp looking premiums. I really dig the Gehrig.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:54 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Absolutely

Johnny is passionate and emotional about his cards and everyone else's cards. Enjoy the enthusiasm as it is far from the norm and rarely seen here. I speak with him on many T206 questions and he has helped me gain an understanding of scrap. I do ask his opinion on pricing but I know its simply just an opinion. We compared notes on the 2 cards in question and each had our opinion. No harm no foul just an opinion.

Thanks Johnny for the help in my learning about scrap and its value.

Quote:

Cheers,

John
Old 08-15-2015, 10:48 AM
Brad Pencil

Its funny I just wanted the Ruth.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:08 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:

Cheers,

John
Johnny has sunk a lot of time into coaching me on the finer points of all things T206. He has pointed out resources I can go to so that I can educate myself. In addition, he has shared scans of many items from his own collection. I can't even begin to tell you what an incredible resource he is, and how much he has gone out of his way to just help another collector. If I had had someone like him when I first started collecting postwar cards years ago, I wouldn't have made all the mistakes that I made. Is he passionate? Yes! And in a world of collecting that has simply become all about profit and bottom line, I can appreciate that passion. The fact that an advanced collector like Johnny takes the time to fool with a T206 newbie like me speaks volumes, and I won't forget it.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Agree w/John re Johnny. If I had a buck for every wrong SWAG I've made I'd not be working.

Brad, I don't know what those premiums are but they are brilliant.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-15-2015, 03:13 PM
Brad Pencil

Thanks Adam!
Old 08-15-2015, 03:18 PM
Eric Perry

List me as another supporter of Johnny V. I wish more people in this hobby had his unbridled enthusiasm for (and willingness to share knowledge about) the cardboard treasures we collect.

Best regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 08-15-2015, 08:31 PM

Default Just....

wanted to thank the board members who responded on behalf of me.......this is why I collect what I do and LOVE IT!

I was swearing to myself not to post in this thread anymore, but seeing these kind posts I had to respond.....

the members who kindly posted above deserve the right to know, that I would quit collecting if it were not for them...........this is the truth....

I need not let the negativity bring me down......my love for the cardboard, and more importantly, the friends and fine board members I have had the absolute pleasure of meeting and knowing, deserve so much more !!!!!!!

I speak from the heart as everyone knows.......

I would like to take the high road and apologize for some negative comments I made towards the board members here last night.....no matter how ignorant we all behaved, it was no reason for me to feed into it.....and display that

I would like to apologize for de- railing the op thread and had no intentions of that....

I can not apologize for my passion...........

life is short......people matter, not card board.......

I extend my offer still with the best intentions, Rob and Todd, come to the national in AC 2016....I really would like you to see why I am so passionate about my collection....education is the key to closing the gap....

tolerance of each other and respect should always come first....

last should be the taunting of each other ......

LEON 'S auction .......

GREAT PICK UPS EVERYONE

congrats to all the winners.......

and, thank you again to all the AWESOME members who took the time to post such kind things about me.....just reinforced what I enjoy to do!
Old 08-15-2015, 08:41 PM

Johnny well said.
Your statement goes with this:"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself"
Philippians 2:3
In this collecting world, as I've gotten older, tire of seeing the back and forth attacks.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:41 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I for one, accept the apology and hope everyone can move on and keep this thread going positively.... It's just cards! We're supposed to be passionate about them, but it is just cards...

Since I heard Leon was auctioning off collection I'd been saving and waiting in hopes of landing the D381 Wags. However a 17k upgrade wasn't really in the cards for me so to speak...Congrats to whoever got it.

I had to "settle" on adding these beauties and really couldn't be happier....

The bidding got pretty intense on the "Headin Home" but I just couldn't let the opportunity to own one of these crazy rare early Ruth's slip by. I thought this one might be the best image of them too, although the horizontal one (that Graig Kreindler just painted btw) was incredible too. All the "headin home's" are, obviously.... The Oxford has been very high up on my want list for years too. Really ecstatic to add these into the heart of my Ruth collection!

My pickups that I'm eagerly awaiting...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruth Headin Home bat on.jpg (75.8 KB, 530 views)
File Type: jpg Ruth Oxford Confectionary 1921.jpg (77.2 KB, 529 views)

Last edited by yanksfan09; 08-15-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:46 PM

Nice pickups Erik. Always loved the oxford
Old 08-15-2015, 08:48 PM
Jeff

Erick those are beauties! Well done.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-15-2015, 08:54 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Thanks guys. Yea, the Oxford is a great looking card.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:11 PM
Jeff P

Anxiously waiting to see who picked up the Jim Thorpe card. Anyone on here get it?

jeff
Old 08-15-2015, 09:43 PM
JeR@Me

Default Luckey Win

Happy to have this mellow yellow Thebo to my OB Series 3 set!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thebo.jpg (79.7 KB, 475 views)
Old 08-15-2015, 11:00 PM
David R

Default Johnny

I too appreciate Johnny's passion and honesty. And it's nice to see him come on here today and admit that he should not have been so negative the last few days. As someone who got into collecting vintage because of scrap - my Dad gave me a pile of t206s ten years ago that included all the Lash's Bitters cards (neither of us knew what they were) - I share Johnny's passion for t206 oddities. I think his heart is really in the right place.

Now if he would just sell or trade me his blank back t206 hall of famer so I can complete my t206 HOF back set I would really like him

And as for Leon's collection, I was sad to see him sell it but also happy to see all the wonderful cards he accumulated. Leon, I hope you're happy with the results of the auction and I hope your cards bring a lot of joy to all those who were fortunate enough to win them.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:01 AM
Bill Lucier

Although not a needed piece, couldn't be happier with this. Also, wanted to help just a little with the root cause of this auction. A selfless act to be very proud of, nice job Leon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1938 Minneapolis Millers.jpg (72.9 KB, 910 views)
Old 08-16-2015, 07:01 AM
Glenn

Default The Leon Luckey Type CardCollection

My only acquisition was this. It is right in my wheel house...an item of extreme rarity, and top flight HOFer!

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/19...ription-071515

Glenn Mechanick
Old 08-16-2015, 07:05 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxMechanick View Post
My only acquisition was this. It is right in my wheel house...an item of extreme rarity, and top flight HOFer!

Glenn Mechanick

Congrats on the pickup. That and the Orange Borders box were a couple of my favorite items in the auction.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:08 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxMechanick View Post

Glenn Mechanick
Awesome pickup Glenn, I think I was the under bidder (or close)
Old 08-16-2015, 07:26 AM
Glenn

Default The Leon Luckey Type Card Colletion

Thanks Daryl & Greg! It goes nicely with my similar issue cut cards of Mack and Chance. Even the separate cards are quite rare, but not currently in demand. This does not bother me though; it just means the price was less than what they would have been were they in demand.

Greg, likely, you'll get me next time!

Glenn
Old 08-16-2015, 08:04 AM
T0NY @

Came away with this one.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:26 AM
Craig

Beautiful Tony
Doesn't get much better looking than a T3 Cobb
Old 08-16-2015, 08:31 AM
T0NY @

Thanks Craig...... I agree
Old 08-16-2015, 08:33 AM
James R. Hill

Very nice pickups Glenn and Tony!

Last edited by Jacker_ Cracks; 08-16-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:56 AM
Jon Canfield

Glenn-

Congrats on the pickup. I was bidding for a while, and then dropped out to go after some other pieces. I thought that was a great price!

- Jon