NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-06-2015, 07:18 AM

Default T206 / Old Judge pack question

I know there are a bunch of GAI packs that are labeled T206, or 1909-11, or 1909-19...

Are there any ENCAPSULATED packs floating around or that someone has pictures of that are labeled from the Old Judge era/series?
Old 06-07-2015, 06:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I believe I have seen one or a few encapsulated but am not positive. If there are any they will definitely be rare, especially if unopened.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:18 AM
D@vid Fel@

I believe there is a graded OJ floating around with the pulled from pack designation on the flip
Old 06-07-2015, 07:43 AM
Joe Gonsowski

I save digital copies of most Goodwin & Co. packs that come to auction / for sale. This was from an April 2004 Mile High auction. Tax stamp on this pack was from September 1887.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 06-07-2015, 12:07 PM
Jeff Lowe

Default Further examination.

I guess we would all love to check that pack out a little closer .
Old 06-07-2015, 12:28 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

To find an unopened pack is pretty rare. Leon is right, Alan Rosen had a pack that was found in the mid-1990s that was unopened. It was opened at a show and had a rare card inside(Alcott-Mansfields). The card was heavily tobacco stained on the back, but SGC unexplainably gave it an SGC96 grade, I believe. The pack contained an N173 redemption list and an Goodwin & Co coupon, in addition to the card.
Opened Old Judge packs are not that scarce. The slabbed one that Joe has posted a picture of was an opened pack.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:32 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

SGC POP report shows a 98! with the next highest being a 60.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:13 PM

Thanks everyone, especially Joe for that pic!

I'd love to find one exactly like that to purchase!
Old 06-07-2015, 01:31 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The pack in the picture does say "(EMPTY)", in case you didn't notice.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1216 View Post
SGC POP report shows a 98! with the next highest being a 60.
It was a 98 and sold for close to $10,000 I believe, at least that was the asking price. I have a nice Mansfield card, would probably grade close to a 60, if not a grade higher, but I have no plans of grading it. The white marks on the scans aren't on the card, except the the one on the right border(middle) and the back is clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alcott.jpg (57.7 KB, 261 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 06-07-2015, 01:46 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Here is a better image of the pack I posted (easier to see "EMPTY").

I'm not aware of any remaining unopened OJ packs that may contain a baseball card (1886-1890).
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 06-07-2015, 08:03 PM

Joe - is this your pack?
Old 06-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmokramer View Post
Joe - is this your pack?
Nope, not sure where this pack now resides and whether it is still encapsulated. I do have a nice empty example in my collection from 1888 (w/ baseball notice stamp on side).
Old 06-07-2015, 10:32 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
To find an unopened pack is pretty rare. Leon is right, Alan Rosen had a pack that was found in the mid-1990s that was unopened. It was opened at a show and had a rare card inside(Alcott-Mansfields). The card was heavily tobacco stained on the back, but SGC unexplainably gave it an SGC96 grade, I believe. The pack contained an N173 redemption list and an Goodwin & Co coupon, in addition to the card.
Opened Old Judge packs are not that scarce. The slabbed one that Joe has posted a picture of was an opened pack.
The N172 Alcott was graded a 98 by SGC but it was the old label...before Derek and Lee were the principal graders.

I don't have a scan of the back of the card but I don't recall it being heavily stained. Moderately might be a better word. The corners were pretty sharp. It sold in August of 2002 for $6910. I don't have a record of any sales after that. All things considered, a pretty rare card in that grade.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:05 AM

Yes I'm familiar with that card. So what's your asking price?
Old 06-08-2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
Nope, not sure where this pack now resides and whether it is still encapsulated. I do have a nice empty example in my collection from 1888 (w/ baseball notice stamp on side).

Joe, I'm assuming this one is NOT encapsulated I take it.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:37 AM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Yes I'm familiar with that card. So what's your asking price?
I'm not the owner.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default hold it!

Joe
what is a baseball notice stamp?!>?<:?
Old 06-08-2015, 08:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

If I remember correctly that card has one small circular type stain on the back. I don't think you can get a more clear image on a card. It is gorgeous, thanks for posting it MW....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1 View Post
The N172 Alcott was graded a 98 by SGC but it was the old label...before Derek and Lee were the principal graders.

I don't have a scan of the back of the card but I don't recall it being heavily stained. Moderately might be a better word. The corners were pretty sharp. It sold in August of 2002 for $6910. I don't have a record of any sales after that. All things considered, a pretty rare card in that grade.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:48 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The whole back of the card was brown from sitting close to cigarettes for over 100 years. I am very familiar with the card.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
The whole back of the card was brown from sitting close to cigarettes for over 100 years. I am very familiar with the card.
Thanks Jay...I must have been thinking about a different card.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:56 PM

The designation on that flip has always bothered me. Every N172 was taken from a pack. Seems superfluous.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:06 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
The designation on that flip has always bothered me. Every N172 was taken from a pack. Seems superfluous.
It would make more sense in context, as in stating the year in which it was removed.

That having been said, I don't think that makes said card any more valuable. It's just an interesting footnote.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:
Joe, I'm assuming this one is NOT encapsulated I take it.
Eric, my pack is empty and not encapsulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
Joe
what is a baseball notice stamp?!>?<:?
Henry, I was pretty careless in my response . It isn't a stamp but instead a label on side of pack as shown below (not mine, this is the pack pictured in the OJ book). I'm only aware of three packs with this label; at least two of them date to 1888, not sure about 3rd. The "baseball notice" likely refers to the cabinet photograph list of players enclosed in the pack (with details on how to redeem said cabinet). May also refer to the "slip" that both the checklist and the many surviving metamorphic trade cards reference but I've yet to see an 1888 "slip/certificate/coupon".

Old 06-09-2015, 10:02 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default tx for responding

had not seen that. That's a fantastic pack - the base ball reference makes it almost as good as a ghost T206 Seriously though I can only think of one attribution that's more specific to the base ball theme - the strip found on the Yum Yum cans. Kind of pack I'd love to come across within reason as "variations" are becoming difficult for me to justify - but for a pack like that I could give up a couple of mine. I have a small collection of non-sport card packs with strips and such.
That said - a metamorphic would have to fit in the pack. Perhaps it's the "not newspaper" list of players/cabinets? My knowledge relative to Goodwin other than advertising, banners, and albums is at best inadequate. I am ashamedly admitting I only glanced over the OJ book when I first bought it. Please don't be insulted. I have but one OJ BB card and I no longer go to shows so little opportunity to buy/sell them. At the time reading the book fell off my radar and since then I've had other priorities to address. It's silly though for me not to have read it as I'm still quite interested in ALL history related to the 1880's manufacturers - I'll start to tackle it this week all things remaining as they are now.
As an aside Joe - I have located a box with much of my paper non-banner OJ stuff. I will see if I have any coupons left that might be different than yours - and rest assured - your newsboy still safe with me :-)
Old 06-09-2015, 10:12 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default I would suggest

having the card and pack together along with the proper provenance would elevate the value of the pack above that of a similar opened pack. As for the card - probably not - but likely because of the extraordinary condition of the card. A significantly lesser condition card would benefit the most. There's always someone who wants something a little more special than the other guy and a card actually associated with a pack is about the best one can do to corroborate that inserts were just that.
Of course - getting an N172 AND one that secured a grade and price as it did - was extremely lucky - there were many other scenarios and most often the greatest value is in the unopened pack - one sells the sizzle and not the steak......
Old 06-09-2015, 01:57 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Henry--Here is an image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.6 KB, 78 views)