NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Travis Wise

Default What are the chances?

This was a recent eBay item and I stayed away because it seemed too good to be true. Is there any chance this photo is legitimate, or is it too good to be true??? AND how would one know?
Thanks
Travis

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 05-04-2011, 12:49 AM

Looking at the other stuff the seller is selling (bedspreads, etc), I believe he/she genuinely doesn't know if if's original or not.

You'd have to see it in person to know-- at least with the pictures shown. The folder/frame itself likely is vintage, but you can remove and put in photos to those easily. The folder lists a photography studio in Plattsburgh NY, where there was a Negro Leagues team at some point.

From the pics shown, it isn't obviously a reprint. I don't see anything blatantly wrong with it.

Lack of information.

Last edited by drc; 05-04-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 AM
Phil Garry

I agree with David, think it could be real but would need to see it in person. I spotted it on e-bay and did some research, finding out that there were no HOF'ers on that team so, therefore, it did not fit into my collection so I passed on it.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:07 AM

I saw this and tried to do a bit of research. I am pretty sure that the item is a reprint. If you look at the top left of the photo there is an area where the image is damaged or cut off in some way. This is exactly the the same flaw the the copy of the image from the hall of fame has. I supposed that this could have been a flaw on the original negative but I think it is much more likely that its a reprint.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Considering it is a known photo that is available by at least 2 different "print" seller on ebay as we speak, I would venture a gueess that someone took an old photo folder and stuck a recent production of that image into the folder, added the hokey "1909 St. Paul Gophers" ID to the folder and tried to make themselves some money.

Here is an ebay search showing that same image being sold by others as a modern "print"...
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R4...All-Categories

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562