NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-20-2016, 09:53 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Default Are high numbers really all that rare?

I've been shopping for cards and for certain sets all I have left are high numbers. At this point they're out of my price range, I mean, why pay $20 for one card when I can buy 8 others that I need for $2.50 apiece? Anyways, I assume they're as high as they are because high numbers are "rare" or some such thing, but there isn't a day that goes buy that I don't see one for sale, typically by the same sellers. For cards that are rare there sure are a lot of them.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:21 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

It's my understanding that high numbers (i.e. the last series or two of a set) came out at the end of the baseball season, usually around September. Unlike the first series coming out in the spring with much adolescent anticipation, by September kids had moved onto other things, like the new school year, and more or less given up on cards for the year. Card companies, in turn, caught on to this trend and began making fewer cards for these series' instead of making a bunch that they wouldn't end up selling.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:27 PM
Jonathan Sterling

While I agree that Topps High Numbers on whole are scarcer they are in my experience found in better overall condition. Simply because they were handled less.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:42 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
It's my understanding that high numbers (i.e. the last series or two of a set) came out at the end of the baseball season, usually around September. Unlike the first series coming out in the spring with much adolescent anticipation, by September kids had moved onto other things, like the new school year, and more or less given up on cards for the year. Card companies, in turn, caught on to this trend and began making fewer cards for these series' instead of making a bunch that they wouldn't end up selling.
I guess, tbh, I'm really noticing it in the late 60's Topps sets. Like, I need a '67 Ty Cline and they routingly sell for $20; it's a high number, I get it. Yet, when I check out eBay, and I know it's only one site, but if I go to look up a Dave Nicholson #113 in the same set, over the last three months nearly half have been sold at lest than 10% compared to the Cline. I know this looks like an isolated incident, but it's something I've been noticing about quite a few high numbers I've been eyeing over the last 6 months.

Basically, what I'm saying is that does the idea of "rare high number" effect the price to the point where it skews the reality that maybe the card really isn't that rare. Am I saying that right?
Old 06-21-2016, 12:17 AM
je.sse @rnot

If you're talking about a 2 dollar card vs a 20 dollar card or cards it could be that for many dealers it's not worth the effort to list the cheaper cards on ebay. They might be saving those for the bargain boxes at the shows. I am not a dealer but for me personally it would not be worth the time to pack and ship a 2 or 5 dollar card.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:36 AM
Bill Gregory

I think it's a combination of scarcity and condition driving the price.

If you look at the 1952 Topps set, there's an interesting tidbit about the high number series cards.

From Cardboard Connection:

Quote:
Folklore and Legends
No one but the Yankees' scouting department could foresee just what a legendary figure "The Mick" would become, not even the set's architect, Sy Berger. It's been long said that Berger, stuck with several unsold pallets of high-numbered series cases, unceremoniously dumped the cards into the Hudson River with a forklift. This disturbing fact haunts collectors to this day, knowing that one of the most valuable baseball cards ever made likely has several dozen examples entombed in a watery grave.
Hmm.

Anybody got a scuba set, and a HASMAT suit I can borrow?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:06 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I think it's a combination of scarcity and condition driving the price.

If you look at the 1952 Topps set, there's an interesting tidbit about the high number series cards.

From Cardboard Connection:

Hmm.

Anybody got a scuba set, and a HASMAT suit I can borrow?
Speaking of the legend of '52 Topps at the bottom of the river...has anyone ever dived down to look for them? Obviously, cardboard in water erodes pretty quickly, but if these were cases and cases of the stuff, shouldn't something still be down there? Maybe even the pallets?
Old 06-21-2016, 04:41 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
And let's not forget that the cards were basically sold by Mom n' Pop Shops. As the Summer wound down and interest waned, they had cards from earlier Series that the kids had already had their fill of. I do not believe that the store owners could swap 4th Series cards for 5th with their vendor. They were not going to buy Higher Series cards and let the Mid-Series cards collect dust in the backroom. Kids that truly collected (I was one) were astute enough to notice that one store had lower Series and another had the higher. I would walk an extra 10 city blocks to go to a store with a newer Series. Once a store fell behind, they were screwed....

One final point, even though these squares of cardboard mean something to us on this board, baseball cards were just one of dozens of options for the allowance money. The Mom n 'Pop Shop owners probably didn't give it as much thought as it did to type these lines...."Baseball cards are not selling?" "No! But, the Beverly Hillbillies cards, Marvel Comics and the candy cigarettes are"...... "Oh?...OK"

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 06-21-2016 at 04:43 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:05 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Some are tougher than others

Its not an isolated thing. Some years hi numbers are far more difficult then others. Also some of the 66 and 67 high numbers are much tougher than others. Plus comparing how many of a $20 card are listed vs a $2 card is not a gauge of anything. like others said why waste your time listing a $2. You yourself stated those are the cards you need, should tell you right there they are tougher. No wild conspiracy just supply and demand at work.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:29 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Even within the high numbers are sp's as well. One of the hardest cards for me to track down was a 71 Dick Allen. The struggle is real.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:09 AM
Rich Klein

Most people building their set already have the 67 Dave Nicholson. Most people building their set do not have the Shaw/Sutherland Hi # RC (as an example)

So, you will see more of the card which might, you know, actually sell.

RIch
Old 06-21-2016, 06:31 AM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Speaking of the legend of '52 Topps at the bottom of the river...has anyone ever dived down to look for them? Obviously, cardboard in water erodes pretty quickly, but if these were cases and cases of the stuff, shouldn't something still be down there? Maybe even the pallets?
Andrew--What do you think a PSA certified pallet would bring ?

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 06-21-2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:35 AM
Tom Boblitt

A good way to sometimes avoid paying that $20 is to check out the number of dealers doing set breaks that start all the cards at 99 cents. Greg Morris Cards and some other guys out there either take consigned sets and single them out or sets they buy and do that. Sometimes when I need a few high numbers I'll just search for '1967 topps cline set break' or something like that. Look for a clean card, set a snipe and I do get some of them below that $20/card. You can also look for centering/corners/condition that you need for your set. Doesn't always work but sometimes it does. Sometimes you can get those low numbers for the 99 cents too.

Like was stated earlier, within the 1966/1967 and most sets, there are high numbers AND high number SP's. Grab a big Beckett or SCD book and look through those high number runs and you'll see them pretty well identified as to the SP's.

Good luck!

Last edited by autograf; 06-21-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:18 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Even within the high numbers are sp's as well. One of the hardest cards for me to track down was a 71 Dick Allen. The struggle is real.
I always laugh when I think of that card, because the photographer's knee is right in the picture…

s-l1600-29.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:18 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
http://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/1...971+dick+allen

Collectors nowadays have access to all the 1971 Dick Allen cards they could want. Looking to put together high number series cards on a budget and COMC with their combined shipping and access to thousands of sellers is a blessing.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:38 PM
T0dd M@rcum

So what are the toughest hi numbers? At least in the 1960s, 1966 Grant Jackson and Choo Choo Coleman come to mind. The Belanger rookie always flew out of my shop when I had one. I think the 1967 Brooks Robinson is as tough as any major player of the era. The 1968 Tigers Team is another that is tougher to track down.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:55 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

The '53 Haddix & Gilliam can be quite a bear to find. They have been the last two I needed for both my sets.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:39 PM
Rich Klein

Most of the 1962 Rookie Parade cards are very tough as well. One of my local customers who is working on his Indians set needs all of them that have Indians.