NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-13-2016, 11:16 PM
A.J. Johnson

Default Rose RC going nuts!

From $2650 to $18,000 in 8 months!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2016-06-13 22.24.21.jpg (12.7 KB, 1041 views)
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 06-13-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:09 AM
Robert Williams

Notice the same buyer paid those high prices. Not sure if others are.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:18 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

There is a post-war forum, I think.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:57 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
There is a post-war forum, I think.
Sure there is, but I believe the OP's observation speaks to the hobby as a whole and not just a particular card from 1963. I collect almost exclusively pre-war, but I personally find the rampant inflation on the postwar side to be both fascinating and relevant. Makes me curious about the eventual impact on blue chip pre war cards, and it tends to change my frame of reference when deciding how much to bid on certain cards.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:24 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Not exactly a tough to find card in PSA 8. 386 of them.

Gah?

Tom C
Old 06-14-2016, 05:47 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I need a '65 Rose in NM condition for my set. I know it's not his rookie, but I was quite surprised to see what this SGC 7 sold for last night. I was willing to pay strong (or at least what I thought was strong), but it went for ridiculous money. PSA 7's have been bringing about $150-$180.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Topps-P...vip=true&rt=nc

On another note, if there is any question in anybody's mind who is the better grader, let's compare a SGC 7 to a PSA 7. Who wins? And that's a new PSA flip too.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:34 AM
Daryl

Fleer Jordans are going nuts too. What the heck is going on?!
Old 06-14-2016, 07:17 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Notice the same buyer paid those high prices. Not sure if others are.
i really doubt there are direct deals that reflect the auction pricing...there may be some direct deals with the sole intent to flip with an offer of 30% or more under (or if more than that with the intent to bump the card) the 'going rate' but i doubt there are direct deals for cards going into personal collections for the 'going rate'..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 06-14-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:18 AM
K1rk K3ith

Default Rose

Psalegends, alflair seem to have a lot in common. Check out the first Rose to sell for 16k then follow that buyer. Answers a lot of questions.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I would prefer threads be in the correct places. But sometimes they do overlap and have relevant info for everyone in the hobby. As for the Rose rookie phenomenon, I agree it looks. to me, like market manipulation by the likes of investors such as Justin and his band of cohorts. I also don't think there are many Rose rookies in 8 holders changing hands in private sales for 16k+.....

As stated with over 380 PSA 8 Rose rookies, I hope those guys have a lot of money. The longer they stay at those artificial plateaus the more will come out and the more they will have to buy to keep the prices inflated. Hopefully they buy them all and everyone else collects other things. That way they can have all of the 8s for themselves and all of their money tied up in them, with no where to go. Last person holding loses, so it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Sure there is, but I believe the OP's observation speaks to the hobby as a whole and not just a particular card from 1963. I collect almost exclusively pre-war, but I personally find the rampant inflation on the postwar side to be both fascinating and relevant. Makes me curious about the eventual impact on blue chip pre war cards, and it tends to change my frame of reference when deciding how much to bid on certain cards.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:46 AM
Greg Mitchell

Ha ha, I clicked on this only because I thought it was titled, "Rose PC going nuts!" I wish!
Old 06-14-2016, 07:48 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
Ha ha, I clicked on this only because I thought it was titled, "Rose PC going nuts!" I wish!
Haha...silly you!
Old 06-14-2016, 07:53 AM
K1rk K3ith

Default Rose

Sold my PSA 8 for 18k last week off ebay.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:04 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:

Me too! lol

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 06-14-2016, 09:28 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
Sold my PSA 8 for 18k last week off ebay.
let us know when you see it for sale, with the guy trying to make 30% off of it...

its a pyramid game......the earlier people make money no doubt about it..
Old 06-14-2016, 10:26 AM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I would prefer threads be in the correct places. But sometimes they do overlap and have relevant info for everyone in the hobby. As for the Rose rookie phenomenon, I agree it looks. to me, like market manipulation by the likes of investors such as Justin and his band of cohorts. I also don't think there are many Rose rookies in 8 holders changing hands in private sales for 16k+.....

As stated with over 380 PSA 8 Rose rookies, I hope those guys have a lot of money. The longer they stay at those artificial plateaus the more will come out and the more they will have to buy to keep the prices inflated. Hopefully they buy them all and everyone else collects other things. That way they can have all of the 8s for themselves and all of their money tied up in them, with no where to go. Last person holding loses, so it seems.

++ correct. If you don't have a boatload of cash, you should definitely stay out of this game. Knowledge is power, and if you don't have that either, you are going to be prey.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:41 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

What are other cards are being driven up in price by these buying groups?

Michael Jordan RCs
Peter Rose RC
???
Old 06-14-2016, 12:40 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterose4hof View Post
What are other cards are being driven up in price by these buying groups?

Michael Jordan RCs
Peter Rose RC
???
Hank Aaron RC
Joe Namath RC
Jim Brown RC
Sandy Koufax RC
Old 06-14-2016, 07:20 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

Although I was initially shocked at the final price of that 52 Topps Mathews card the other night, (what really shocked me was the price jump from $8,800 to over $15,000 in the last 5 seconds) imo, that card has a far greater chance of sustaining that price than what these, Rose and other current high POP cards have based on the available numbers alone.

I am unsure the POP of the Mathews, but I'd bet multiple high priced Rose cards, it is far far less than those.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:59 PM
Geordie Calvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post

those corners are horrific
Old 06-14-2016, 10:05 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
What's a Rose PC? Maybe the moderator remembers.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:27 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

Quote:
Hank Aaron RC

Joe Namath RC

Jim Brown RC

Sandy Koufax RC

Mickey Mantle RC
Clemente RC
Old 06-15-2016, 05:04 AM
Robert Williams

Touche...I forgot about Clemente rookie. Mantle rookie is a gimme. That one should ALWAYS go up, no matter the market. These other ones are plain nuts.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:26 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
Psalegends, alflair seem to have a lot in common. Check out the first Rose to sell for 16k then follow that buyer. Answers a lot of questions.
Sadly there is very little in this business(hobby) that is not being manipulated in some way for personal gain.

Since it is just a hobby for me I avoid all the drama by collecting low end raw cards.

I do really enjoy watching all the price manipulation, shilling, card doctoring, PSA drama, and all the other slimy stuff that goes on in this hobby. I just choose not to partake in it.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:28 PM
Larry

OK, Leon and the other posters are convincing me of the error of my ways with the info posted on this board. I agree with Pete: there are a lot of lemmings being led by the herd directly off the cliff! The market for key '50's and '60's cards is to much too large an extent being investment driven, or subject to outright manipulation. The prices for anything but '52 Topps Mantles in "7" or "8" or better, Aaron rookies in "9" or better, etc., etc. appear unsustainable--too much, too fast, too soon. That market has all the earmarks of a speculative boom, which will inevitably be followed by a bust. As I said in an earlier post, don't get caught holding items presently sporting very large price tags which are really not all that difficult to obtain. They are readily available because THE SMART COLLECTORS ARE SELLING THEM AND REAPING THEIR PROFITS! These are the ones that will endure the largest price correction when the bloom is fully off the rose. This is a much better time TO BE SELLING THOSE KINDS OF ITEMS, REGARDLESS OF THE PLAYER'S IDENTITY AND STATUS, THAN TO BE BUYING THEM. It kind of reminds me of when I was buying nice, raw '85 Topps McGwires from '92-'98 for $10-$15, then selling them wholesale in August '98 at the National for $65-$85. "8's" retailed at $125 or so then, and "9's" were $500. Gem mint "10's" were being happily purchased for $5K! Prices, as most of you know, soon dropped to much lower levels (they are making a rather stunning comeback lately, however--"10's" have gone from the low $500 range to $800-$1,000 in the last year, while "9's" have risen from the high $20 to low $30 range to $55-$70 during the same time period).

True collectors are either viewing this as a wonderful opportunity to sell, or standing on the sidelines with their jaws having dropped to their navels. Meanwhile, truly rare and significant items not participating in the boom and which are relatively quiet represent a terrific buying opportunity. Remember, things don't stay the same--the only constant is change, and the focus of the hobby WILL shift, just as it has done a number of times over the last 25+ years (I remember a number of years ago when a board member expressed surprise that a 1926-29 Exhibit Postcard Back Lefty Grove rookie was no longer 35 bucks!).

Thanks to Leon and the other posters for keeping me in close touch with the machinations going on.

Best always,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 06-15-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:08 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Quote:

I am sorry if I've missed earlier threads on what's happening with skyrocketing RC prices (kinda zoned out of the board for awhile), but can someone explain a bit more who's buying these cards and theories on why? Is the goal to actually invest in these cards and hold them long term, or are we in the middle of a pump and dump scheme where card prices are being artificially inflated and then the cards are dumped on gullible buyers?

Last edited by RobertGT; 06-15-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:11 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGT View Post
I am sorry if I've missed earlier threads on what's happening with skyrocketing RC prices (kinda zoned out of the board for awhile), but can someone explain a bit more who's buying these cards and theories on why? Is the goal to actually invest in these cards and hold them long term, or are we in the middle of a pump and dump scheme where card prices are being artificially inflated and then the cards are dumped on gullible buyers?
my belief is the latter.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:55 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGT View Post
Rob,

If you have not read this thread http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=223688, it might be a good place to start, assuming nobody edited their original posts.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:56 PM
Larry

Quote:
Touche...I forgot about Clemente rookie. Mantle rookie is a gimme. That one should ALWAYS go up, no matter the market. These other ones are plain nuts.
I don't disagree with your underlying premise, Bobby, but think its a question of how fast these desireable cards (most especially in higher grades) should be going up. A really good collectible generally is capable of 12% compounded annually, with even larger returns in the short run (15% to 24% or so, in the earlier going). It then slows down with regard to its rate of appreciation as it's value rises into what most of us might call the stratosphere, generally to less than 10% compounded annually. But to me, thanks to the info supplied by Leon and the other knowledgeable posters, you aren't going to see prices doubling on even key, desirable cards within a year or so. In coins and cars, that has traditionally indicated a flood of well-healed investors into the field, with a bust following the boom shortly afterward. Q. David Bowers' books on investing and collecting rare coins are a recommended reference, as he has been involved as a collector, dealer and consummate expert in the field since the '50's, studied the far lengthier coin hobby trends exhaustively, and is more than well familiar with the cause and effects of collecting trends.

Best of luck to you in your collecting always,

Larry
Old 06-17-2016, 03:44 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
Not exactly a tough to find card in PSA 8. 386 of them.

Gah?

Tom C
389 to be exact .... 60 of them have a qualifier

I would guess that the number is not going to climb that much, and I would also guess that PSA does not include the ones that may have been crossed to SGC or Beckett

329 is not that high of a pop

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 06-17-2016, 06:44 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

another postwar thread where it doesn't belong!!*

have a good father's day weekend errybody.

* completely kidding of course, but had to.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:48 PM
roger maines
Banned

Funny just 6 months ago I put up a rose rookie PSA 8 and couldn't sell it for $3000. Glad now no one pulled the trigger
Old 06-21-2016, 03:59 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargell1 View Post
Funny just 6 months ago I put up a rose rookie PSA 8 and couldn't sell it for $3000. Glad now no one pulled the trigger
Yup....unlike you though, I would keep lowering and lowering the price until I got a nibble. Wish I still had all of mine!